AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're trying to decide on which 60+" plasma to buy. We've had recommendations for the Runco and Zenith; we've not seen the Samsung or Fujitso.

Suggestions, recommendations and advice as to which brand to consider would be appreciated.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there. I am also looking for a 60" display. The Runco is appealing, but VERY expensive. The Zenith is much cheaper but I can't find a rating source. Are there reviews of the 60" screens which will help to sort this out?

Also, I live at 7,000 feet so need a plasma display which can handle the altitude. Any thoughts? (I saw the NEC is rated to over 9,000 feet)

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
7,000 sounds boderline for the Buzzing threshold.

I am sure that if you used a Balanced line regulator (Equitech), the Fujitsu would behave properly.

By the way, once you saw the Runco compared to the Fujitsu, one would indeed need their head examined going with a product so much inferior, the Runco that is. For starters the Fujitsu will outlast the Runco by about 6 years, thanks to it's one chip subfield processing prowess, second it will look much better.

It is very simple, all other plasmas companies aspire to one day having a one chip solution. No way around it. And SONY is on record 2 months ago, with the divulging of their long term single chip objectives.

It's the plasma Holly Grail.

Being Asia's largest computer manufacturer gives Fujitsu the upper hand, at least for the next 7-10 years, as I see it, by then SONY may meet it's objectives.

·
Registered
137 Posts
NEC has stated that anything buzzing below 9,000' would be accepted back and traded out as per a senior rep that I spoke with. Cinermax, that buzzing is conditional to atmospheric pressure (at least with Pio), not line condition? Is this correct?:confused:

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
This is Informed Speculation on my part. Informed but speculative in Nature. There is sufficient anecdotal knowledge out there. Maybe?

A more robust power supply has been used to supposedly pressure proof plasmas. Surely Balanced power would be the ideal power supply in this marginal atmospheric state.

So says REVOX of Switzerland, who besides a beefed up power supply does nothing else to the Fujitsu 42 glass they OEM for REVOX's aircraft-compatible plasma.

·
Registered
137 Posts
heheeh point taken:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking at the Marantz 61" and wonder how it compares to the Fujitsu, specs seem to be about the same, price aboout the same--is it made of Fujitsu components? What would be the negatives of Marantz over Fujitsu?

Any info would be very much appreciated as I am planning on purchasing ASAP.

Also any info on whats expected in the near or distant future? Larger Plasmas, etc..

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
You would be the biggest idiot in the world to buy the Marantz. Just kidding.

But seriously at this time don't do it. Wait for the new Fujitsu 61 if you can if not get the 6101, hands down.. Buying the Marantz I recommend not, with what I have recently found.

The Marantz is a plasma, it can only look so good, whereas a TURBO plasma will create Hollographic images. On HDTV , I swear, and anyone that sees the comparison.

3 years from now a great percentage of us in the forum will have made made Fujitsu 61" their next plasma choice. The AVM is 80% of what makes the Fujitsu a better plasma, converting DVD to near HDTV and HDTV into near reality. Read the bylaws of the Imaging Science Foundation, nowhere in their Library is there reference to depth perception, psycovisual understandiing of reality, and about the field of using advanced states of FUZZY LOGIC in signal processing. Just a bunch of numbers from a group called SMPTE.

Fujitsu is the only Giant Supercomputer Manufacturer that has treated their plasma business development; YES by meeting SMPTE. But in order to build upon it, the ultimate display engine.

What would cost faraoudja 200 million dollars to develop, is being offered in the Fujitsu for just 2 o3 thousand more.

Because in recent A/B testst the Fujitsu 61 blew the new Pioneer 50-box (with outboard tuner), out of the water; in sharpness , brightness, image superiority, and the fact that after seeing the fujisu, looking at the other (very good plasma) was exactly like removing the polarised filter 3-D goggles at IMAX or Disney.

I will write the story of the shootout between Pioneer 50 and Fuji 61 using the discovery channel (on Charter Comunication) HD cable (better than Dish net).

Fujitsu avm on very good heigh definition will create 3-d. That suckker has a being engine under the hood , and the competition has been caught with pants down.

You will never regret the decision, and have the satiscfaction of having paved the way to the higher road; trail blazing in the area of Reality Simulation, during the first of the century, what it is destined to be the longest period of future cinema.

It's not a plasma, it's a TURBOPLASMA tm.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Wow, Peter, I love my Fujitsu and wouldn't trade it for anything cheaper, but even to me you seem a little too enthusiastic!

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Do you have charter hd? Try it with you neighbors plasmas.

It is a major discovery, Some sharp fellows out there should try it.

Is totally mindblowing. This is not trying to fool your brain into seeing better . In the Bedroom the Pioneer seemed as looking thru the window, whereas in the Library( fireplace pic.) the lions were "in the room". Totally 3-D! , of course the extra 11 inches help out too. But 80% the avm nmaking great hdtv better..

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I admit, I don't really understand all of Peter's technical mumbo-jumbo. However, I agree with him that the Fujitsu 61 is AMAZING.

Magnolia Hifi in Seattle has a wall of plasmas with the 61 surrounded by pretty much every other popular 42" and 50". The 61 actually looked better than most of the smaller rigs. One would assume that screen door would be more apparent, but it was not.

I think they wanted over $20k for it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
"The Marantz is a plasma, it can only look so good, whereas a TURBO plasma will create Hollographic images. On HDTV , I swear, and anyone that sees the comparison. "

Can you post a pic of this?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.