Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm new to this forum because I'm from the UK, however I'm moving to the USA in about a month and I want an all-new Home Cinema system for my new home.

I'm shopping for a really large Plasma screen and I've shortlisted the following:

Samsung HPN6339 63"

Sony KDE-61XBR950 61"

NEC 61MP1 61"

Fujitsu PDS-6101 61"

Pioneer PDP-610MX 61"

I'd like views on these sets from people here with real-world experience of them, owners, dealers whoever's willing to share their expertise with me please :)

Also, are there any other sets I should have a look at?

Oh, and just for the record, it'll be in a custom made home cinema environment, but needs to be usable in daylight conditions, not just darkness.

The viewing distance will be between 12-15ft. And I'd say 70% of my viewing will be widescreen presentations (mainly DVD's), but there will be cable/TV material used on it too.

Many thanks for any advice you guys (& gals!) can share with me.

Ross.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Hi Ross, I have the thrid HPN6339 in the country. I love it. It is amazing. LIke any TV it has its nuances, but overall, I am very pleased with the performance of it. You can see my setup in the link in my signature.

THe biggest gripe - if you can call it that - is the ghosting this set has. First time, I thought it was burnt in, but it was just ghosting. It goes away pretty fast, but its there sometime. Admittedly a small issue, but I can't find discrete codes for the input selector for my HTM remote.

I watch DVDs, digital/analog cable and HD cable. HD is absoulutly mind blowing. DVDs are incredible, and regular cable is okay. I also have a RTV connected via SVideo (component offered no better PQ) and shows recorded at HQ actually look better than regular cable. Regular cable has some pixelation, but I would think that would be the case with any digital set of this size.

Anyway, long story short, I did not buy the set, nor can I imagine spending that much on TV. If I were, I would do my homework very carefully. I would find a good dealer who stocks the majrity of these sets, and who is willing to work with you by setting them up next to each other, with the same source for exact comparison. I have not had my set calibrated, but I have used Avia and it improved the picture some. But I ended up using the Steaming Rat Rich Harkness method of tweaking, and now the set looks phenomenol. You should do a search for 'steaming rat' on this forum and you should find it. You also might want to search under my user name to see my other comments on my set.

Have fun and let me know if you have any questions. You can PM if you care to. Also, if you find yourself in the DC area, feel free to drop a line - you're welcome to see the set anytime.

Good luck and HTHs,

E. J.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info E. J. It's good to hear that that particular beast is recommended by an owner. And its really nice seeing a balanced opinion including the "gripes".

I'll take your advice about the dealer to heart. I need to find a good dealer somewhere in Florida I think.

Oh, and your set-up looks amazing BTW! The in-use pictures do look incredible.

Thanks for the offer of further advice, I might very well take you up on that. And if I am in the DC area in the near future I'll make sure look you up :)

Cheers,

Ross.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ejfiii
Hi Ross, I have the thrid HPN6339 in the country. I love it. It is amazing. LIke any TV it has its nuances, but overall, I am very pleased with the performance of it. You can see my setup in the link in my signature.

E. J.
The third one in the country, are you sure about that? Does Samsung have a 65"? My cousin had a couple of Samsung's earlier this year (February), I thought they were 65's but maybe they were 63's?

*edit - I just looked at your pics and yours is black, do they also come in silver, because his were silver, but they also looked a little different. So what's the biggest plasma Samsung make?

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Your cousin has the older, non HD 63 inch plasma.

Here is the worldwide version of the 63 your cousin has, and here is the 63 I have now. Mine has a 1000:1 contrast ratio and a 700 brightness, and a DVI input, while the older model has a 500:1 contrast ratio and 450 brightness, with no DVI input. The newer set also has the DNIe picture enhancement engine and better internals. I am sure someone here will correct me, but I believe the older one was made from a different company's glass - maybe NEC?

At any rate, they are all good sets, some are just newer. As for larger sets, right now the 63 I have is the largest, but Samsung just showed a 70 incher at a show, and LG showed a 71 incher at the same show. I believe they are probably still at least 6 months out, but that would be pretty neat.

Good luck,

E. J.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh E.J. You said above that you never 'bought' yours - I meant to ask - WTF? :)

I'd be well up for not paying for mine if it's possible!!! >:)

And are there any owners out ther for the other models - I'm still looking for any useful info on those too.

TIA guys,

Ross.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Ross, it was a gift to our family from Korea. Lucky for me my parents are happy with their 32 inch Sony tube tv and have no place for such a big set.

Their loss was my gain.

E. J.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.