AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am on the fence to get either sharp 60" LC6077U from costco or LG 55LH90 or Toshiba 55sv670 from beachcamera.

They are similar priced. The Sharp is mainly for its size, 60" does make a big difference, and costco's warranty also helps. On the other hand, The LG and Toshiba's are mainly for their LED local dimming. Which one do you pick? Thanks for your inputs to help me make a decision.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
I have owned the LG LH90 & now own the TOSHIBA SV670. You can't go wrong with either TV. It's really about preference. I chose the TOSHIBA because IMHO it offered a better picture than the LH90. The design was very appealing compared to the LG & it offered a nice set of features.

I know the SHARP isn't an LED but you can never go wrong with bigger

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFJ 96 /forum/post/18315143

I have owned the LG LH90 & now own the TOSHIBA SV670. You can't go wrong with either TV. It's really about preference. I chose the TOSHIBA because IMHO it offered a better picture than the LH90. The design was very appealing compared to the LG & it offered a nice set of features.

I know the SHARP isn't an LED but you can never go wrong with bigger

Yes, I can have the Toshiba for $300 less than the LG and Sharp. It is real a good deal. But Costco is now running a sale for the Sharp 60". With a 60" and a 55" sitting side by side with a 52" TV, I find the 60" is Much Much bigger than the 52", while the 55" one is not obviously bigger than 52". The visual effect of 60" is much more immersion. That is why I seems to prefer the 60" Sharp now, even though it is not LED and local dimming.

Another question related to this: Do you think the 60" will be as reliable as 52" or 55" at this moment? The reason I ask is that 52" and 55" are all the development focus right now. 60" and above are still very rare, and may need some different technology to form large LCD panel (I heard they put two small LCD panel together to form a big one.), So I don't know how reliable for those BIG 60" and above LCD TV. Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger /forum/post/18315424

Yes, I can have the Toshiba for $300 less than the LG and Sharp. It is real a good deal. But Costco is now running a sale for the Sharp 60". With a 60" and a 55" sitting side by side with a 52" TV, I find the 60" is Much Much bigger than the 52", while the 55" one is not obviously bigger than 52". The visual effect of 60" is much more immersion. That is why I seems to prefer the 60" Sharp now, even though it is not LED and local dimming.

Another question related to this: Do you think the 60" will be as reliable as 52" or 55" at this moment? The reason I ask is that 52" and 55" are all the development focus right now. 60" and above are still very rare, and may need some different technology to form large LCD panel (I heard they put two small LCD panel together to form a big one.), So I don't know how reliable for those BIG 60" and above LCD TV. Any thoughts on this?

YES, you will see a difference in the 60" Companies in the LCD Market are gonna be making TV's in the 60" range but those sets set's won't hit market til AUGUST sometime. So if you can wait, it might be worth-it.

BTW, these set's will be LED

·
Registered
5,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdigger /forum/post/18315424

No way do they put two smaller panels together to make the 60" Sharp. Not only would there be a visible line where the two panels met, there'd also be a noticeable difference in color and contrast between the two panels. Sounds like sales-droid BS to me, and I am a salesdroid.

That 60" Sharp model on display where I work now has over 4000 hrs in torch mode and looks the same as the first day it was put up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I have had the 42ZV650 for 7 months or so, and now recently just bought the 46SV670. The 650 looked great, specially for the money and the class that it was in. I do recommend it. Buut it just didn't have that real Hi Def pop, kinda wow factor that I kept seeing on TV's like the Samsung 8000 series. Which I was set on bringing to my living room. So I went out and got the SV670, and this set has every bit of that real Hi Def "wow"!! Am very happy with this thing!!! For now I have it calibrated based on CNET's settings and have thrown MANY different blu rays at it in the 2 weeks I had it. It just looks amazing. Keeping in mind this isn't my first flat panel TV 42'' or bigger. 1 plasma, 1 LCD, and now 1 LED. In fact I just helped my brother pic out the Panasonic 65V10 plasma which gets rave reviews everywhere and I do personally feel my SV does have a slightly better picture and or a comparable picture with the V10. I have viewed the same movies on both sets both with CNET settings.

I will add however that 3 weeks ago I was searching the far ends of the market for a top tier TV that had to be 58'' or bigger for my brother. I did much research and leaned heavily on my brother getting either the Sharp E77 60'' (great price for a great picture), or the Panasonic V10 65''(great picture period) which we ended up with like I stated earlier. I know you can't put too much faith into what you see in stores. But I had seen the Sharp E77 at 3 different stores and it looked very impressive at all 3. Sears I believe had a direct Blu Ray feed and damn did that thing look good!!120hz was some of the best that I have seen. Smooth but not overly done like some others on the market. Real nice color as well. Only 2 reasons why my brother didn't get the E77 was because some people on here told him to get a Samsung, and that Sharp sucks (Samsung fanboys, it can be borderline sickening sometimes). And the other was plain and simple, that 65'' was well huge compared with everything else. He is happy with his pick as well.

So to some it up, if I was wasn't so set on the SV670 because of already owning a ZV650 which performed very well. Well than I would have strongly considered the Sharp which I believe to be pretty underrated! Home Theater Mag did an extensive review on the Sharp E77 and had plenty good to say about it. Check that review out. Good luck with you pick. BTW, Sears gave us a great price for the E77 I forget how much though. As PC Richards gave me an unbeatable price for my SV670 beating even the best of the online prices.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your inputs and refer to the home theater review of Sharp 60". All reviews I read are also positive for the Sharp 60". Actually I think its PQ is better than the Sony new 2010 model 60" 60E701 with edge-lit LED when I compared, especially when watch with an angle.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Ahem,

I was on this same fence btw the 55SV670U & 55LH90. I chose the LH90 and I'll give the reasons why.

#1 - I was able to actually SEE the 55LH90 in the store and it was great eye candy. But no stores in my area even carry the 55SV670U. Not being able to see it made it hard to justify buying it.

#2 - The 55LH90 has a "matte" screen vs the "glass/gloss" screen of the 55SV670U. I read a review from a woman online who said whenever they watch the TV during the day or with the lights on, she can see her own reflection all the time. That pretty much stuck in my head about the 55SV670U. The glare factor is pretty big to get over.

#3 - Larger bezel edge. I will be likely cutting my vertically mounted center channel real close to the bottom of the screen. I could end up needing every spare inch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts