AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some advise. I have a 17x13x9 room. Dedicated space. I have a 7.1.2 Atmos setup. Probably 40% gaming, 40% TV/Movies and 20% music.

I currently have a single SVS PB-12 NSD. I am wanting to add at least one more sub. I really only have a budget in the $600–750 range. Was thinking of going with the new SVS PB-1000 pro but wondering if it’s worth building something instead. It seems at the higher end of the budgets you can really get a bang for your buck going DIY but was not sure in the lower end. I would like to include cabinet, drivers, amp and wood in the budget. Need to get a router but kind of need one anyway for some other stuff. Thanks for any advise.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
buy sub or build one?
You're funny

VBSS fits your budget.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looking for some advise. I have a 17x13x9 room. Dedicated space. I have a 7.1.2 Atmos setup. Probably 40% gaming, 40% TV/Movies and 20% music.

I currently have a single SVS PB-12 NSD. I am wanting to add at least one more sub. I really only have a budget in the $600–750 range. Was thinking of going with the new SVS PB-1000 pro but wondering if it’s worth building something instead. It seems at the higher end of the budgets you can really get a bang for your buck going DIY but was not sure in the lower end. I would like to include cabinet, drivers, amp and wood in the budget. Need to get a router but kind of need one anyway for some other stuff. Thanks for any advise.
If you have the tools and time I would definitly vote to build one... I built two mini marty's and they are awsome, no way I could have purchased a sub with the quality sound that these have for anywhere near the price point.

·
Registered
11,862 Posts

A UM-15 + inuke 1k DSP would beat it easily if you could find the budget.

If you wanted to hand it a horse-head on a pillow: dual UM-18's and an inuke 6k DSP, maybe 1 UM-18 to start... and another down the road for channel B.

Alternatively: an inuke 3k DSP and dual UM-12's, one for starters...

In a pinch: One or two PA-460's ported to 15-25hz and powered with an inuke 1k DSP.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sell the SVS, build a UM-18 full marty and a Devastator with a LaVoce 21. Then do that again when you can. Then just keep doing that till you run out of room, money or can't hear any more. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The answer you are not looking for: "it depends."

There are a lot of variables. Including your ability to build and the quality of finish you want on the sub.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will state I am looking for more mid to low base than truly house shaking. The theater is on the first floor and I already got the “it’s to loud” text when ever I watch any action movie with The single SVS. So other than wood is it really just the woofer and amp/dsp that has to be purchased. are the larger size woofers like 18, 21 just to go deeper? Also if looking for tighter bass is a smaller woofer better?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as building goes i finished building my house last year and did much of the work myself, also built some furniture so no issues there. Also the subs will be going behind a false wall so I really don’t even need to finish them.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Here's the UM18 mentioned above. I built two of them and they pound.

PE UM18-22 Kit

Add an NX6000 amplifier to drive one (or two) of these and you're on budget and way better off than buying off the shelf.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
As far as building goes i finished building my house last year and did much of the work myself, also built some furniture so no issues there. Also the subs will be going behind a false wall so I really don’t even need to finish them.
Also, you are a prime recruit for DIY. You already know how to build stuff and have the tools. This will be a piece of cake for you.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Yes to DIY. within that stated budget? No. ( not by much ) Worth it? Yes.
You already opened that door. It's inevitable.
Lots of friendly people here to help out along the way. 😁

·
Registered
89 Posts
I did a pair of 15" 4.5cubic foot down-firing end tables to replace my 11.5 cubic foot 15" full Marty disguised at a chest. If you are capable of building furniture, then a DIY sub is perfect for you because you have the skills to make it look however you want and still sound awesome, if you want to keep the subs in the room. Bigger driver and bigger box gets you to lower frequencies with a higher efficiency. If you go really big, typically the pressure and vibrations travel easier through a house. I was only feeding my full marty about 300w and it would shake things off shelves in adjacent rooms and the floor above it. I would not mix subs though because if they are in different locations you can get a multi-directional response. If one sub peaks at 40hz and another peaks at 30hz you will most likely hear each tone from a different direction, or one will sound louder based on where you are sitting. It can be handled with EQ but it is tricky. I would vote to sell your current sub and build two that match.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
From your description it sounds like you are looking for more punch in your bass as opposed to more deep shaking bass. Smaller "faster" drivers is a myth. One or two VBSS' which uses Dayton Audio PA460 18" drivers would be great. I would definitely recommend these over UMs - 2 PA460s cost less than 1 UM15 and they should handily outperform them. :D

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well looks like I have opened up a can of worms. :)

So a couple things. First I think there will be a SVS in the classified section soon.

I am thinking based on this thread of building 2 subs. They will be behind my screen wall between the LCR speakers. Depth wise I only have 20-22” to work with so its fairly tight. If I built the VVSS it looks like I might just squeeze it in.

As explained above I am not looking to shake the house off the foundation. More solid mid/low bass. I would think 20-30 is probably plenty low.

Some questions.
15 vs 18s. Given I am not looking to go super low would 2 15s be better? I keep reading smaller drivers are faster?

I am looking to do this only once. So from a driver and amp perspective.

1. Drivers. PA vs UM series, which road to go? And why? Other options?
2. Amp. Seems every uses the Behringer either NU3000D or the NU6000D. Seems the 3000 would be plenty for 2 15s or 18s?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I currently have a single SVS PB-12 NSD. I am wanting to add at least one more sub. I really only have a budget in the $600–750 range. Was thinking of going with the new SVS PB-1000 pro but wondering if it’s worth building something instead.
I'm in sorta the same boat as you. I'm looking for a 2nd sub to pair with my older SVS cylinder. I've done some searching and a lot of people say while not ideal to mix/match subs, it's important to get the second one with similar power/specs/etc. For that reason I've been eyeing a SVS PB-1000, 300watt 10-12" driver range. I'd make sure you don't build a 2nd sub that overpowers your current.

Second, if you find yourself buying tools and such to do this project (and those future ones) ask yourself what the time is worth. I mean where are you cutting the wood, wood shavings fly around a lot so it should be outside/garage. Do you have the tools and time? DIY is fun but I looked at DIY route and realized I personally want to plug and play.

HTH

1 - 20 of 59 Posts