AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Definitely 2 subwoofers for the reasons mentioned.

If you don't need to rattle the house, go for the VBSS with PA460 18" drivers.

I don't think it's a matter of driver size and speed but rather the sensitivity rating. How much db of sound for a given input. The PA460's have the UM18's beat by quite a bit there, which is why everyone says that they have much better mid-bass response.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
The first thing you need to do is get WINisd so you can play with different drivers and box sizes, compared to the cost. It is a fairly easy program to use. "Punchy" bass is something that happens at a specific frequency. If you have a little sub that has a high peak between 50 and 100hz and rolls off quickly from there, it will sound "punchy". If you have a massive sub that goes down to 10hz and is flat up to your 80hz crossover, then you will have the gain turned down so you don't shake your house apart and the 50-100hz will not sound as loud in contrast.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
SO I am thinking at the moment the following

(2) VBSS Subs
PA460 18” Drivers
Behringer NX3000D (Or is it NU3000D?) is this the right one? Behringer NX3000D Power Amplifier with DSP

Looks like those drivers and amp are all back ordered. :(

where do I get ports from?
also where do i get piece to attach speaker to amp?
And also need adapters from RCA to amp correct?

These will go behind screen wall at about the 1/3 and 2/3 point.
It looks like 2 of these will cost less than one SVS PB-1000 Pro, damn. And they are really going to sound that much better?

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
You'll be surprised what kind of bass you get from those "cheapo" subs. :D

Parts Express has what you are looking for. Amazon has them as well. You can buy flared ports from PE or you can just make a slot port from MDF. I'm sure someone will follow up with possibly links to an RCA to SpeakOn connector plus neutrik connectors (Behringer out, to box connector).

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Check out this thread if you haven't already seen it:
VBSS Thread

I expect the ports can be found at partsexpress.com. That design thread will have the info.

You'll use an adapter cable to go from your AVR to the amp. I (and a lot of others) use the monoprice cable that can be found on amazon. There are 6ft and 3ft versions.

RCA - XLR

From the amp to the speaker you'll use regular speaker wire. I like to use 14 or 12ga an the white sleeve. For the connectors, you'll use Nuetrik connectors. The amp needs those for sure but I put them on both ends (amp end and speaker end).

I haven't heard a VBSS or the SVS PB1000 Pro. But, based on what people say about the VBSS and the fact that you're comparing two 18" pro drivers against one 12", I'd say it's a sure bet that the VBSS will serve you better if only for the fact that it moves much more air.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
As I am sure you are aware: you are going to double+ your original budget with most of the recommendations you are getting, which is fine if you choose to go for it. I found it to be difficult to build a $650 sub that meets all of the features and contols of the comparable HSU price, especially when factoring in my time. $900+ gets you into some good stuff and starts to beat out the other manufacturers offerings pretty well. Of course, selling your current sub can get you into the money for building a pretty good sub. Good luck! (With your skills, DIY does see like a good option.)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Nah.

NX3000D ~ $400
2x PA460's $200
A couple sheets of MDF $70
Glue, ports, primer, paint, clamps, etc. add $100.

Ok, so he may bust it by $50 to $100 but that's money I'd spend in a heartbeat. Sometimes you just have to say "Sweetie, I know I said I wouldn't spend more than $750, but there's this thread on AVS......"
Like I said, at about $900. You may need to add port components, shipping and tax and other tools to dial in the sub to the cost.

·
Registered
213 Posts
SO I am thinking at the moment the following

(2) VBSS Subs
PA460 18” Drivers
Behringer NX3000D (Or is it NU3000D?) is this the right one? Behringer NX3000D Power Amplifier with DSP

Looks like those drivers and amp are all back ordered. :(

where do I get ports from?
also where do i get piece to attach speaker to amp?
And also need adapters from RCA to amp correct?

These will go behind screen wall at about the 1/3 and 2/3 point.
It looks like 2 of these will cost less than one SVS PB-1000 Pro, damn. And they are really going to sound that much better?
You want the NX3000D and you will be able to run 1 to 8 VBSS subs off the amp (I have 4 VBSS and you will be grinning ear to ear with any amount!!)

Since you are from the US you can get the subs here, from Parts Express

Port Kit you want (4") Two per box (or you can save a bit and do slot port)

Connect amp to sub - back of subs (these let you get the subs closer to walls than the non right angle ones) need 1 per box

Connect amp to sub - back of Amp. Need two, one for each channel unless you are running two of a single channel...so cheap, just buy two, lol.

Receiver to amp (Single Male RCA to XLR)

·
Registered
435 Posts
You wouldn't believe just how many "Audiophools" are a member of AVS
Indeed. At least it has been a little while since we have had the great audiophile USB cable debate. Or maybe it hasn't, I don't frequent many other areas around here other than the bass, subwoofers, and transducers section and here, so it is entirely possible that there is more tom"phool"ery about.

·
Registered
189 Posts
For the price and what you are looking for, I don't think you can beat 2x VBSS. SVS has good resale value generally so like you say, sell it and you should be able to come in well under budget and have way better performance.

Reactions: mixma

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
If you have not already considered you may also want to think about the Marty cube design and Lavoce SAF 184.03 drivers. I built two of these with the amp for under $1500
$290 per driver vs $100 per driver. Are they 3x better performing? I mean if the PA460s are better than what’s in my SVS I should be quite happy.

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
The SAFs are better. They'll give you better low end perhaps a little more midbass but coming from what you have you'll more than likely be thrilled with 2 VBSS'.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
$290 per driver vs $100 per driver. Are they 3x better performing? I mean if the PA460s are better than what’s in my SVS I should be quite happy.
This is a theoretical response. Compare the response curves. They will give you better low bass. When you are building things for the long run you don't want to be in a place where you regret that your low bass could be better. It's a one time cost. I would never ask anyone to spend more than necessary. I actually returned my minidsp since it would have been redundant for my needs although a lot of folks advised against. So I am just offering my suggestion thinking about the long term.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
If I get the NX3000D do I need the minidsp HD thing?

I think I am going to just go with 2 slim VBSS with the PA460. It sounds like it will be plenty. Looks like it will be awhile though as the amp and drivers are sold out. Will give it some time, I can start working on the boxes and see where things stand with them in A couple weeks, could always try a different driver and maybe find a different amp.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts