AVS Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
$290 per driver vs $100 per driver. Are they 3x better performing? I mean if the PA460s are better than what’s in my SVS I should be quite happy.
Just as a contribution of useful perspective, it is not a matter of whether it is 3x better performing. It is a matter of whether the difference of what you get it in the entire system performance is worth an additional $380 to you.

Beyond that, I am of no further use to you in figuring out the answer to that question, but I am sure others will fill in the possibilities.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I think I am going to just go with 2 slim VBSS with the PA460.
I am not sure what you mean by "slim" here. Keep in mind that the ability to dig deeper is built into the original design by keeping the ports within a specific point to a wall (IIRC around 2.25") that effectively make the ports longer.

In my limited experience the VBSS perform best in the 20/30Hz tune, where the PA460 really shines.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If I get the NX3000D do I need the minidsp HD thing?

I think I am going to just go with 2 slim VBSS with the PA460. It sounds like it will be plenty. Looks like it will be awhile though as the amp and drivers are sold out. Will give it some time, I can start working on the boxes and see where things stand with them in A couple weeks, could always try a different driver and maybe find a different amp.
No you don't need that as the NX3000D has it all built in.

You will not be dissapointed with the PA460, I had my doubts (big time) but as soon as I turned on my first song and watched a movie...holy ****. I have not had a single person have anything bad and the few people that I surprised asked where I got them, they did not think something like that was DIY.

This is a theoretical response. Compare the response curves. They will give you better low bass. When you are building things for the long run you don't want to be in a place where you regret that your low bass could be better. It's a one time cost. I would never ask anyone to spend more than necessary. I actually returned my minidsp since it would have been redundant for my needs although a lot of folks advised against. So I am just offering my suggestion thinking about the long term.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but I think Matt had a post somewhere that you can build 6 VBSS and 2 of those Marty cube (or the other one but the name eludes me) either way the 6 VBSS were cheaper still by a smidge and the low end offerings were very close but once you hit like 30+ hz the VBSS were leaps and bounds ahead, you just need a **** ton of room, lol.

Many people run both so they get the ULF and the chest punch with the VBSS and it seems a common theme was, after people changed their set ups they missed the punch of the VBSS rather than the ULF. Someone posted with links to like 10 different people with the common theme that the VBSS was missed more.

If you have money and room do both but if you want to save a bit the VBSS are no slouch. I can make cups bounce on my coffee table UPSTAIRS, lol.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the drivers, PA460, and the NX3000d. Both are back ordered. SO I will see what happens. I reached out to a local lumber yard that has a group that build things to see if the could do all the cuts for me. I have a table saw, but its small so dealing with the big sheet will not be easy. If they charge more Thant $75-80 will probably just suck it up and do the cutting my self. Got cut list from the VBSS thread. Why do I have a feeling I will next be building new L-C-R after this, lol.

On aside, I just finished all of my absorption panels in my theater room. Between the blackout blinds and window I put 3 3” deep panels using Roxul soundboard. I have roxul safe and sound floor to ceiling in the front corners behind the false wall. I am going to do a wood diffusion wall in the back, which should be a fun project. Also the UMIK is on the way, should be here Monday.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Nice job! Great looking panels and nice room.

If you end up cutting the VBSS yourself, be sure to find yourself a straight edge and clamp it down across the board you're cutting and run your saw against the edge. Make a test cut or two. You can get some good, accurate cuts with a circular saw.

I have a small Ryobi table saw myself but it's pretty rough to use on the big stuff.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Well I pulled the trigger and ordered the drivers, PA460, and the NX3000d. Both are back ordered. SO I will see what happens. I reached out to a local lumber yard that has a group that build things to see if the could do all the cuts for me. I have a table saw, but its small so dealing with the big sheet will not be easy. If they charge more Thant $75-80 will probably just suck it up and do the cutting my self. Got cut list from the VBSS thread. Why do I have a feeling I will next be building new L-C-R after this, lol.

On aside, I just finished all of my absorption panels in my theater room. Between the blackout blinds and window I put 3 3” deep panels using Roxul soundboard. I have roxul safe and sound floor to ceiling in the front corners behind the false wall. I am going to do a wood diffusion wall in the back, which should be a fun project. Also the UMIK is on the way, should be here Monday.
That is awesome and you will be more than happy with two VBSS!

I had Home Depot cut my pieces into more manageable pieces so if I needed the large pieces to be 36" I had them cut down to 40" so the last finesse cut was done by me. Their cuts were NOT straight so I am glad I took this route! We had one piece we had to salvage and could not figure out how we were 36" at one end and 35.5" at the other...it was from the HomeDepot cut that was off and we used that cut against the guide which is turn messed our cut up as it was not straight.

I am looking at absorption panels and Comfort board 80 and Safe n Sound but what made you chose the soundboard over Safe N Sound for the wall panels? Just from what I have read the board is easier to use but the Safe N Sound is better for absorption across, I think, all frequencies.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
That is awesome and you will be more than happy with two VBSS!

I had Home Depot cut my pieces into more manageable pieces so if I needed the large pieces to be 36" I had them cut down to 40" so the last finesse cut was done by me. Their cuts were NOT straight so I am glad I took this route! We had one piece we had to salvage and could not figure out how we were 36" at one end and 35.5" at the other...it was from the HomeDepot cut that was off and we used that cut against the guide which is turn messed our cut up as it was not straight.

I am looking at absorption panels and Comfort board 80 and Safe n Sound but what made you chose the soundboard over Safe N Sound for the wall panels? Just from what I have read the board is easier to use but the Safe N Sound is better for absorption across, I think, all frequencies.
Originally I was going to do thinner panels so it made sense to get he SOundboard. It’s actually header to find and more expensive but since I had it already used it for some of my panels. But a couple of the panels do have the safe and sound in them so its kind of a mix. Somewhere down the roads want to reface them with movie poster on the material but have other things to do first.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Nice job! Great looking panels and nice room.

If you end up cutting the VBSS yourself, be sure to find yourself a straight edge and clamp it down across the board you're cutting and run your saw against the edge. Make a test cut or two. You can get some good, accurate cuts with a circular saw.

I have a small Ryobi table saw myself but it's pretty rough to use on the big stuff.
I talked to the mill shop for my local lumber yard and they are going to do all the cuts for 2 VBSS for me for a little under $70. I figured it was well worth it. Saves me the effort of trying to deal with the large sheets with my small table saw and saves me some time as well. I am waiting on parts to be in stock so even their 2 week lead time will not hold me up at all. Kind of cheating but oh well :D

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I talked to the mill shop for my local lumber yard and they are going to do all the cuts for 2 VBSS for me for a little under $70. I figured it was well worth it. Saves me the effort of trying to deal with the large sheets with my small table saw and saves me some time as well. I am waiting on parts to be in stock so even their 2 week lead time will not hold me up at all. Kind of cheating but oh well :D
Good job on making your own flat pack.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Parts express is out of a lot of products. Covid messed up production schedules. Behringer may have also been impacted by that big factory fire overseas that eliminated one of the main chip makers in the industry. But I can’t find any confirmation that behringer used those chips.

The VBSS is what you want. The 3000d is a much better buy than the 1000d if you can.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Parts express is out of a lot of products. Covid messed up production schedules. Behringer may have also been impacted by that big factory fire overseas that eliminated one of the main chip makers in the industry. But I can’t find any confirmation that behringer used those chips.

The VBSS is what you want. The 3000d is a much better buy than the 1000d if you can.
yeah that is what I figure. Same thing happened when I ordered my mountain bike last august, didn’t get it till January.

the shop is going to take a week or two to finish up the cuts, then I need to put it together so even if it takes a month or so for the drivers and amp to come in, it really won’t hold me up too much.

Another question. Is the reason its recommended to qo with the D version of the amp because a file has already been built for it? Why not something like the minidsp 2x4 HD? Some videos and things I have read say that is easier to work with. I don’t know a lot about any of this so just asking. I got my UMIK today, downloaded REW and honestly have no clue what to do with it lol. I am not getting great sound out of my center and was hoping that could help me figure it out, but dont even know where to start, guess I will need to do some research.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
yeah that is what I figure. Same thing happened when I ordered my mountain bike last august, didn’t get it till January.

the shop is going to take a week or two to finish up the cuts, then I need to put it together so even if it takes a month or so for the drivers and amp to come in, it really won’t hold me up too much.

Another question. Is the reason its recommended to qo with the D version of the amp because a file has already been built for it? Why not something like the minidsp 2x4 HD? Some videos and things I have read say that is easier to work with. I don’t know a lot about any of this so just asking. I got my UMIK today, downloaded REW and honestly have no clue what to do with it lol. I am not getting great sound out of my center and was hoping that could help me figure it out, but dont even know where to start, guess I will need to do some research.
I am neither using a D version nor a minidsp.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
The minidsp is a good option. I’m not sure if the VBSS thread has settings for that though. One of the cool things about the VBSS is that MTG already did the dsp tuning to get the most out of the pa460 and the inuke. Does minidsp have dynamic eq? I never really got into minidsp.

REW is super easy once you figure out the first sweep. I think someone here made a YouTube video that might help.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
$290 per driver vs $100 per driver. Are they 3x better performing? I mean if the PA460s are better than what’s in my SVS I should be quite happy.
I had no idea a$99 driver was so good for diy ...I probably won’t diy again unless I buy a flatpack . Making a speaker circle cutout is too hard , plus my friend who helped me no longer is free .
Too bad this driver is no longer made king of old diy models . My box is large enough for a port or two but I went sealed my room is small . Not sure if I’ll ever add a port , due to lack of bracing I’d added later

not used it in a year sadly .... too big to fit downstairs in my main listening room. Gotta wait til I move out or something... use it for movie 🍿 films only upstairs.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
The "D" version of the amp has a programmable DSP in it. There's no built-in setup but you can copy what others have done. The MiniDSP is more flexible I think. I have both but just use the DSP on the amp. (no MiniDSP in the chain).

There's an excellent guide for REW that goes through setup and measurements. There's a huge REW thread in the "Theory and setup" section of the Audio forum if you haven't found it yet. That guide should be linked to in there.

Found it.
REW 101

41 - 59 of 59 Posts