AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. AVS Forum has been THE place to go for me when it comes to my HT questions. I originally posted this in the "Best sub 400 Receiver" thread, but was told I would probably be happier with something above that price range. Well... I'm here now, I'm about a week away from having the ability to buy a receiver somewhere around $600 - $1000.

Here is what I will be using:

Video: Sony 60" 1080p TV (1 year old)

Audio: 5.1 PSB Speakers (I don't remember the model numbers, but it's a midrange set from about 4 years ago and are still sounding great).

Devices (In order of usage):

Xbox 360 + HD-DVD Add-on (HDMI)

DirecTV DVR (HDMI)

Popcorn A-110 (HDMI) (lots of 720p & 1080p video)

Wii (Component Cables)

PS2 (Component Cables + Optical for sound)

PS3 via HDMI in the future (and then I will not need the PS2 of course)

I understand that 1080p upscaling is probably not necessary for me because the only thing that will continue to use anything below HDMI will be the Wii. From what I've read, video pass thru for HDMI sources seems important. My Sony 60" is 1080p by itself, so I assume the receiver would be more helpful leaving the video alone, yes? I am also going to need at least 3 HDMI ports, if not 4. I could deal with 2 HDMI ports and manually switch between them or get an HDMI switcher if the audio/video quality is vastly superior in a particular receiver.

I have no plans to add anything else besides the PS3 and even that is far from soon. I have no intentions on upgrading my Television or speakers anytime in the near future and my living room is simply has no more room for anything above 5.1.

One caveat is that my purchase will have to be from Amazon, as most of my money is in the form of Amazon credit. This means I will be buying new, unless anyone knows if the manufacturers have automatic warranties on refurbished items. I would still be purchasing through Amazon. They have a subsidiary called "Warehouse Deals." Amazon themselves said they did not know if any warranty was offered. I mention this because my options are more limited when good deals on refurbs on "randomsitehere.com" are not really available to me.

Possibly worth mentioning, I also would like a receiver that doesn't have a lot of latency between the audio and video through HDMI sources. I mention this because I've heard it can be a problem with HD DVRs and I also play a lot of musical video games on the Xbox 360 (Rock Band 2, Guitar Hero World Tour).

So far I've had my eye on either Denon or Onkyo, but am open to suggestions.

So far these seem to be what I'm looking at:

Denon 889/2309ci / Denon 989/2809ci / Onkyo 806 / Onkyo 876

Please let me know what you think and if any of these seem like overkill for my set up.

Thanks in advance!

~ The Infamous Tim

·
Registered
189 Posts
I picked up a Sony STR-DA2400ES from Amazon just two weeks ago. Free shipping, full 5-year warranty. 4 hdmi inputs--those signals are untouched on the hdmi output. So far, I'm very pleased. The Sony ES line isn't talked about much on these forums, but they're just as good as similarly priced equipment.

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
I would add Marantz 6003 to the list since upscaling isn't a priority to you. Their audio sq is said to be quite good.

Edit: Some owners have been experiencing blue dot video artifacts with game consoles and onkyo 706/806 units. I have an 876 and have had no problems with its superior video chip set, but if you read some around here you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have both a Denon 789 and 889.

Long story short. My HK 635 needed to be reset after a failed upgrade. I had an extended service contract with Circuit City. Circuit City fixed it and UPS destroyed it!

I had heard good things about the Onkyo 706 and 806 and they were the basically the best receivers Circuit City had in stock to replace my Harmon Kardon. After I returned two 706s and one 806, I picked up the Denon 889. I had problems with each of the 3 Onkyos and the Denon was just fine.

#1 Onkyo 706. Blue line on left side of screen about 2 pixels in width. Screen shakes to the point it's impossible to read in setup. Sound cuts outs periodically. Run quite hot to the point of not being able to touch the top for more than a few seconds.

#2 Onkyo 706. Blue line on left side of screen comes and goes. Setup is fine. Still runs very hot.

#3 Onkyo 806. Paid extra. No blue line! Setup is fine. Still runs hot. Perfect for almost a week. Sounded great! Then, for no apparent reason, turns off whenever it feels like it. Circuit City says it's probably a bad capacitor or something.

#4 Denon 889. Already have a 789 in the basement, so why not. Running for about a month without issue. Runs cool and sounds great.

I guess I just had some bad luck with the Onkyos.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At this point I am leaning towards the Onkyo TX-SR806 or the Denon 889. All the others listed are peaking right at the top of my maximum budget.

The Denon 989, Onkyo 876 and Marantz 6003 are all at the $1000+ mark. It's a financial possibility, but is the sound/video quality from the 806 to the 876 or the 889 to the 989 worth almost $400?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thread has been very helpful since I share a similar setup and budget as the poster. I am curious about the Marantz 6003 that someone mentioned earlier, how does the sq compare to the Onkyo and Denons?

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewS99 /forum/post/15567281

The 806 to the 876 is DEFINITELY worth $400.

Check the comparison between them at
http://www.onkyousa.com/prod_class.cfm?class=Receiver

Check the 806 and 876 and then click compare in the upper right corner.

876 has an HQV Reon video chip and Audyssey MultiEQ XT just for starters.

This is where my knowledge falls flat. Could you explain to me or link me to something that shows me why that matters? I'm not being rude, I just plain don't know.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Are you open to other brands of receivers? I'm looking at possibly getting the Sony DA3400ES. $1k retail, but some killer deals on eBay with free shipping. I'm going to check the local Worst Buy Magnolia store this weekend to see if they have one. I'll also check for these models you have listed.

·
Banned
14 Posts
This is definitely one of the best places for these sorts of question, the bit about possibly not having a warranty with what you're going to buy from amazon, or ebay, is something inevitable for these kinds of deals

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
If you can, try etting your hands on a Yamaha RX-V1800 or its equivalent model, HTR6190. They have been replaced by the RX-V1900 HTR6290 respectively and should be had for around $800.00.

I picked an RX-V1800up for around 850 and places like Best Buy were selling the Ht6190 for around $700.00

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Yamaha is pretty tempting. My receiver now is actually a Yamaha HTR-5590 that I've had for a little over 5 years.

I'm looking at the Onkyo 806, Onkyo 876 and the Yamaha RX-V1800 now.

EDIT: What would be the ranking in overall quality of these three receivers?

Would it be...

Good: Onkyo 806

Better: Yamaha RX-V1800

Best: Onkyo 876

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
The 876 would be better than the 806 since it has a better amp/transformer section, and better video section. The Yamaha is 1 1/2 yrs old technology being updated with a replacement(1900). The 1800 suffered from the DTS bitstream bomb, and needed a firmware update to fix. No reports yet on whether the 806/876 have this bug, some previous Onkyos did however.

Edit: However, the 806 suffers from something Secrets of Home Theater found under testing, it can't pass hdmi signals unaltered. It is supposed to be able to do this. I would recommend either the denons you mentioned, or Marantz, since you don't require top end video sections, which would have led me to recommend the 876.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' /forum/post/15571928

Edit: However, the 806 suffers from something Secrets of Home Theater found under testing, it can't pass hdmi signals unaltered. It is supposed to be able to do this. I would recommend either the denons you mentioned, or Marantz, since you don't require top end video sections, which would have led me to recommend the 876.

So are you saying because most of my video will be 1080p source -> 1080p native display, I don't need the powerful chipset that the 876 has to offer? Because that's what I initially thought... but again... my knowledge falls flat.

·
Banned
1,520 Posts
Yes, that's what I was thinking. The 806 has too many possible issues to be attractive for you.

The thing is, Denon and Marantz models are at around the same price as the 876, but offer less. Maybe the Yamaha 1800 would be best after all, at under $900. The bitstream bomb probably has been fixed in current stock, and only showed up when playing DTS master audio anyway, and most blu ray discs don't even have DTS audio tracks.

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
suggestion: if you just run the DVR with component + optical instead of HDMI, you can free up the requirement for a 4 HDMI receiver and save some cash, plus save yourself any potential "HDMI handshake" headaches that are common with DVR's switched through a receiver.

Alternately, you could run the DVR with HDMI direct to TV (using a second HDMI port on the TV) and just run an optical cable to the receiver for when you want TV + surround sound. This would allow you to get a 3 HDMI receiver and have plenty of room for PS3, 360, and Popcorn to all use HDMI.

Then, you could get the Denon 1909/789 or something like that and save a lot of dough. Spend the savings on a Harmony remote to handle the switching and you will be good to go

·
Registered
189 Posts
My 2400ES from Amazon has the full Sony 5-year warranty. Those sold at a big discount at ebay and elsewhere will not have a warranty.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts