AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new home theater receiver and would like to pay somewhere in the $600-800 range for it. As I have been out of the home theater market for more than 5 years, I could really use your recommendations.


I am replacing a Pioneer Elite VSX-74txvi that just started having problems.


Right now my baseline for comparison is the Onkyo TX-NR709 that I can get for $600 shipped, but I am also somewhat interested in the Pioneer Elite SC-35 that CostCo is closing out.


80% of the use for the receiver will be Movies/TV watching with the other 20% dedicated to music. I would like to have at least 5 HDMI inputs and preferably more. It might also be nice to have 2 HDMI outputs as I am considering have both a flat panel and a projector in my theater room in the near future. I care about decent audio/video performance more than anything else, so most fancy bells and whistles aren't particularly important to me.


I don't care about the AVR remote as it won't be used anyway.


Lastly, I have an older Pioneer Elite 59avi DVD player that I primarily use for DVD-Audio/SACD listening. I have always use the i.Link (IEEE-1394) connection between the the 59avi and 74txvi in the past, however, it doesn't seem that modern AVRs come with i.Link connections any more. Does anyone know if I can pass a full resolution DVD-A/SACD signal to a new AVR via HDMI these days? (Remember, the 59avi is based off of early HDMI specs, so it could be the limiting factor.)


Any recommendations?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,550 Posts
I haven't memorized the specific features of both receivers and you can easily google for the info (like how many HDMI ports each one has), but generally speaking the SC35 has significantly better amps and onkyo reliability over the last few years is about the worst there is. To me it's no contest. Get the SC35.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,414 Posts
The SC 35 is covered under the Costco return policy that is far better than a 2 year Pioneer warranty. I jumped on that deal myself.


No receiver can compete with the SC35 for that price IMO.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top