AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a good set of Bookshelf speakers for my office. I am able to pick up a pair of brand new B&W 685s for $400 from a dealer friend. My biggest fear on these is that I'm paying a big chunk of money for the brand. I'm really only interested in sound.

Also interested in the Emotiva ERM 6.2s.

Anyone have a strong opinion about either, and/or another suggestion in that price range? The upper limit is absolute. Really hoping to spend more like

·
Registered
505 Posts
Considering Best Buy has the 685 on sale for $650, I would say $400 is a pretty good price! If you like the sound of B&W, you may also like PSB's which can be had at pretty good prices through Saturday Audio - b-stock sale. Used would also net you a good bang for your buck. Check audiogon & your local craigslist for any deals. You could always look into the WAF-1's on closeout from Chase Home Theater and put the money you save into a small sub.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
You should definitely put PSB on your list. PSB speakers are well made, tuned for accurate response, and still very well priced. The other choice I would highly recommend are NHT Classic 2. They are also tuned for extremely flat response

If I could get the B&Ws for $400, I'd buy a set for myself. The sound quality is well worth that price. You could always just sell them without a loss if they don't work out for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target1 /forum/post/19601365

Looking for a good set of Bookshelf speakers for my office. I am able to pick up a pair of brand new B&W 685s for $400 from a dealer friend. My biggest fear on these is that I'm paying a big chunk of money for the brand. I'm really only interested in sound.

Anyone have a strong opinion about either, and/or another suggestion in that price range? The upper limit is absolute. Really hoping to spend more like

·
Registered
6 Posts
Take a look at the Axiom M3 http://www.axiomaudio.com/m3.html . Way under your price limit and very highly rated. 30-day home trial, if you don't like them, you can ship them back at low cost. Customer service is first-rate. Lots of finish choices, some vinyl, some wood veneer. I have a set of Axiom M22 scheduled to arrive this week. They also have overstock/refurbs: https://deals.axiomaudio.com/ .

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
How will they be placed? On your desk? Or across the room? Will there be a subwoofer? The reason for the first two questions is that some otherwise excellent speakers can be too in your face and fatiguing from 3 feet away.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Speakers will be driven off a Sonos SP120 amp/source. I may switch to a passive Sonos source in the future, and go with an Emotiva 2 channel amp, but likely not for a long time.

I am thinking of moving a PB10-NSD from the family room, as the wife hates any extra bass, and I watch very little TV anyways. Way overpowerd for the room/setup, but bass won't be an issue.

Placement is an issue. The are likely to be in one of two positions:

1. About 7 feet apart, one on a bookshelf 15 inches off my desk to the left, and one on a shelf about 15 inches off my desk to the right.

2. Wall mounted 6 feet apart angled down at 8 feet above floor.

In both scenarios, they will be centered on the desk, with the sub under the desk.

Thanks for all the responses!

-m

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target1 /forum/post/19602263

Speakers will be driven off a Sonos SP120 amp/source. I may switch to a passive Sonos source in the future, and go with an Emotiva 2 channel amp, but likely not for a long time.

I am thinking of moving a PB10-NSD from the family room, as the wife hates any extra bass, and I watch very little TV anyways. Way overpowerd for the room/setup, but bass won't be an issue.

Placement is an issue. The are likely to be in one of two positions:

1. About 7 feet apart, one on a bookshelf 15 inches off my desk to the left, and one on a shelf about 15 inches off my desk to the right.

2. Wall mounted 6 feet apart angled down at 8 feet above floor.

In both scenarios, they will be centered on the desk, with the sub under the desk.

Thanks for all the responses!

-m

Another suggestion, ERA D4

·
Registered
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Target1

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'm running EMP's limited edition E41 bookshelves on my desk and recommend them highly. Sweet sounding speakers on a desk or in a small office but are too small to fill a large room. If you try them I find the are happiest with the crossover set to 100hz.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'll follow up on Warpdrive's NHT suggestion and toss out their Absolute Zeros. I have both those and the NHT Classic 3s - I find it hard to believe, but I almost prefer the AZs.

If you are going to wall mount them, their size and sealed design will be a bonus. They can be had for well under your budget brand new and as low as a couple hundred used.

·
Registered
444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/19601434

You should definitely put PSB on your list. PSB speakers are well made, tuned for accurate response, and still very well priced. The other choice I would highly recommend are NHT Classic 2. They are also tuned for extremely flat response

If I could get the B&Ws for $400, I'd buy a set for myself. The sound quality is well worth that price. You could always just sell them without a loss if they don't work out for you.

The PSBs are nice too, I'd prefer not buying them for other reasons. But that's another story (Paradigm, and I believe Axiom manage to make similar comparable speakers in Canada for similar pricing, while PSB slaps a big Maple Leaf on the label, and a tiny "made in china" next to it. At similar pricing, i'll buy the brands who manufacture in-house).

Get the B&Ws, they probably have the best resale value. If you don't like them you don't have much to lose, simply throw them on Audiogon/eBay. 1. You're getting a good deal on them. 2. Buying the "brand" also usually means getting better resale value. You're likely to lose the least on them if you decide to sell.

·
Banned
2,846 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJD /forum/post/19606271

I'll follow up on Warpdrive's NHT suggestion and toss out their Absolute Zeros. I have both those and the NHT Classic 3s - I find it hard to believe, but I almost prefer the AZs.

The AZs actually measured better than the Threes (or any other speaker they've ever tested for that matter) at Home Theater Magazine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was looking with similar requirements recently. I auditioned the 685s and Monitor Audio RS1s which I

preferred. They are at the top of your price range. You could also consider Monitor BX2s or Paradigm Mini monitors. I ended up going with Ascend Sierra-1s which I love but which are a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts

Quote:

-m

These REALLY need to be used with a sub...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.