AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at home theater receivers in the $600 range. I currently have a Yamaha on another widescreen TV and it's been fine, but I keep hearing that Denon and Onkyo are the way to go.

I also haven't decided on speakers yet. I will go with 5.1 speakers in the room and will be using a set of Yamaha weatherproof speakers (already have them) for out on the patio. Also I will be running all video signals through the receiver and through a single HDMI cable to the HDTV, so the receiver needs to be good with video processing.

I've looked at the specs and prices for the following 4 receivers:

Denon - DRA697CI

Denon - AVR1909

Onkyo - TXSR606B

Onkyo - TXSR706B

I realize that the two Onkyo models are a step apart and are different in price. A local retailer has the 706 on sale in the $600 range.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. If it turns out that Denon is the way to go, what is the difference between the two Denon models listed above?? They both go for $599. Is one possibly a newer model?

Also if anyone has any other recommendations not listed here, even for a little more in price, I would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
the biggest difference i see in the two denon units is that the DRA697CI is not an AVR...its a stereo receiver. i would scratch that and look at the denon 2309cI...available at 6ave with the coupon for under your 600 budget

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Here are a few suggestions so you have control of your own destiny. All you are going to get here is Fanboys, Haters who usually made bad decisions in the first place and they are going to give you their bad advicedon't relive there mistakes.

1) figure out what you want to spend and What your needs are. 2) Download all of the manuals for all of the receivers that are in the area (Marantz, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, You Fill in the Blank) and READ THEM! 3) Go to the user threads and ask questions, read about that piece of equipment. Then, if you can, see if you can get an audition. With this information you can make an intelligent decision. Just remember, if you are buying over the internet, make sure you understand the return Policies! If you don't like the equipment, return it ASAP!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ /forum/post/15526128

the biggest difference i see in the two denon units is that the DRA697CI is not an AVR...its a stereo receiver. i would scratch that and look at the denon 2309cI...available at 6ave with the coupon for under your 600 budget

+1 From the options you presented, this is the way I'd go. If you're willing to expand your selection, I'd also take a look at Marantz through 6ave. The SR5003 is one nice receiver.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts