AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...so what's my best option. Should I consider an xbox 360? Should I stick with a set top player?

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That looks like a good option and I do have some time (tax return).

thanks

I'll take it under advisement

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Or you can get the A2 from Amazon for under $400, which would qualify you for %10 off all HD movies for the rest of the year. Then spend the $200 on lots o' movies.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez /forum/post/0

Or you can get the A2 from Amazon for under $400, which would qualify you for %10 off all HD movies for the rest of the year. Then spend the $200 on lots o' movies.

I'd say take this route, and use the other $200 on HD DVD movies

·
Registered
603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eapleitez /forum/post/0

I think that promotion is over...

Back to the point...

If you like games get a xbox360 + hd drive for a total of $500 (plus you get king kong free)

otherwise get a hd-a2 (can be had for $450 or less) and remember to get your 3 free hd dvd's by mail

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I already had a 360 and picked up the hd-dvd add on. It is working very well and looks great. It's early in the format 'scuffle', so its a cheaper way to get to watch hd movies now.

The only thing the 360 really lacks is the sound support of the standalone devices. My receiver cannot take advantage of it, so no big loss for me.

Edit: It also does not upconvert beyond 480p. Not a big deal, as its tough to watch non-hd movies now

·
Registered
6,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy /forum/post/0

Is the HD-A20's upconverting as robust as the HD-XA2's?

Not quite. As far as I know the HD-A20 is a 1080p version of the A2, with the addition of a backlit remote. The A20 *might* support 1080p/24 but that has yet to be confirmed.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy /forum/post/0

Is the HD-A20's upconverting as robust as the HD-XA2's?

No. It does not feature the Silicon Optix processing chip.

The only difference in the HD-A2 and the HD-A20 is "1080p" output on the A20.

One of the big claims against HD DVD is that it "can't do 1080p" which is false as a whole, but on its least expensive player, the A2, it is true.

The A20 gives "1080p" output (well, interlaced then deinterlaced 1080p) at $599 - the same price point as Blu-ray's PS3. That's the only reason it exists.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
The least expensive player is the XBox 360 HD DVD add-on, which does 1080p via VGA.

·
Registered
6,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBNyack /forum/post/0

True, but that won't work for some people.

I agree, but it did for me (and I don't have an XBox 360)

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by getme /forum/post/0

...so what's my best option. Should I consider an xbox 360? Should I stick with a set top player?

Buy the XA1 for $399 from VE. Built like a tank, great looks, though slower than the G2 units. A great deal from a great company!

·
Registered
464 Posts

Quote:

It depends on what's of more interest to you - home theater or games & movies.

IMO, I would go with the standalone player - the A2 or the A20 (if you have a 1080p HDTV or plan on getting one in the future). The standalone players give you the ability to hear the full DD+ or Dolby TrueHD tracks whereas the 360 add-on doesn't.

I bought the A1 back in July so I didn't have the 360 add-on option (nor would I have gone with that option).

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightWatcher /forum/post/0

I'd say take this route, and use the other $200 on HD DVD movies

decisions decisions...

Quick question: audio was mentioned earlier in the thread, since my receiver has analog 5.1 inputs will I be able to use ALL of the audio formats that HD DVD supports? Am I correct in assuming that the HD DVD player itself decodes the audio and a 5.1 analog output is provided?

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts

Quote:

decisions decisions...

Quick question: audio was mentioned earlier in the thread, since my receiver has analog 5.1 inputs will I be able to use ALL of the audio formats that HD DVD supports? Am I correct in assuming that the HD DVD player itself decodes the audio and a 5.1 analog output is provided?

Yep, you should be good to go. As I stated before, the XA1 is less than $400 at VE, and it has the 5.1 outputs, unlike the A2 or 360 add-on. If you do buy a G1 unit, make sure to update to 2.0 to receive TrueHD in 5.1. If you have an earlier firmware, you will only get TrueHD in 2.0...

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.