AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pvr 508 on my hdtv. I don't want to give up the functions of the 508 but I really want hd but don't want to pay the price of the 921. Is there any way that I could purchase a 6000 and use them together. What kind of a hook up would work if any. I don't want to get charged for having two receivers because it will be only on one tv. I hope this is not too confusing. Thanks.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
It will not work. To record HDTV, you'll need the 921.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts
Please be more specific with topic titles, see my edit.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ingeborgdot , I do not believe you can "daisy-chain" the receivers together as you seem to be suggesting. The 508 has no input other than the Dish 500 satellite signal that it records from. You can't record external analog inputs.

You can still use both receivers, but unfortunately you will have to run a second RG-6 feed from the Dish 500 LNB 2nd output to the 6000 receiver. Dish is offering their HD package on the 110° satellite so a Dish 500 will work. You will have to pay the $4.99/month additional receiver fee as Dish does not discriminate whether you actually connect two TVs, just that you have two receivers.

Might want to check out this website for upcoming Dish PVR info:

http://jssatellites.tripod.com/dishp...rfeatureideas/

·
Registered
46 Posts
i have the same problem, i have a 508 that i want to use, and i just got a 6000. i cant run anymore rg6, so what i am going to try is getting a simple a/b switch from radio shack, connect the sat. source to it, and switch to what receiver i want to send the signal to. of course i still have to pay the 5 for the extra receiver, but its better than nothing. i am pretty sure a splitter wont work for some reason, but hopefully a switch will because i really want this 6000 and 508 being able to work on the same tv. if anyone knows if this will or will not work, please reply. thanks.

-matt

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
The 501/508 will only record sat channels going into the satellite input on the box.

If you wanted to use a 6000 with a PVR to record standard def channels then you would need a "standalone" TiVo box that can record from composite (RCA) or SVideo inputs.

Basically you need something with a standard def MPEG encoder chip - the 501/508 and DirecTiVo do NOT have that encoder.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tsturtle
i am pretty sure a splitter wont work for some reason, but hopefully a switch will because i really want this 6000 and 508 being able to work on the same tv. if anyone knows if this will or will not work, please reply. thanks.

-matt
I switch a 5000 & a 508. It's a hassle but it works. I used to switch a 6000 too.

Tim

OBTW, a 6000 + 508 doesn't come close to equallying 921, even with the new math (as evidenced by my selling off of the 6K pre-emptively.... perhaps too pre-emptively... in the spring). Only switching because second line pulls in DirecTV HD sat (with OTA diplexed).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.