AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am i to understand correctly that if I have a 4x3 HD set and I get the Dish 6000 reciever that HD or 16x9 material cannot show up correctly on my set? It will only show up stretched vertically?

Thanks

Nick Harper

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
then whats all the talk of everyone with 4x3 sets only seeing skinny people stretched vertically in here? And saying they have to wait for an update from dish for the 6000 reciever so the aspect ratio will show up correctly. I have a 4x3 HD set but have been waiting to buy the 6000 because of this supposed problem. Now it seems I've lost my "new customer" pricing because of this. so whats the story?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The 6000 does NOT yet have the capability to add black bars at top and bottom. Dish is currently working on a software update to correct this.

Nick, what TV exactly do you have? I also have a 4:3 HDTV (Toshiba TN61X81) and had to perform a service menu procedure to squeeze the image vertically into 16:9 proportions. This year's Toshibas have added this "squeeze" capability as a standard feature.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Princeton Arcadia 2.7T. If I was able to make that work, would that squeeze all programming?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Well, I'm not familiar with that TV, but most HDTV's have different geometry and convergence settings for HD and NTSC. The way mine works is that (once the squeeze mod is done) when it senses an HD signal it squeezes it into 16:9, and when you switch to NTSC it switches back to 4:3 automatically.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
830 Posts
I wonder why it is taking so long to release new versions of code for the 6000? Over two months ago, when I was complaining about lockups with the OTA module, an Echostar engineer wrote me and told me that they had identified and fixed the problem, and that the test group had the code with the change.

Well, it's over two months later; I still have the same code, and I still have lockups and reboots...

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
There have been many rumors of new software for the E* that will add the squeeze mode for sets like my TN55X81.

Unfortunately if you search the archives they go back over a year now. I was skeptical and held off on the Dish when the 6000 came out, mostly for this reason.

I don't really want to permanently squeeze my TV because I use a 960x544 mode also as computer monitor. (posting this)

- Tom

------------------

Getting started:
HTPC FAQ , DScaler , Xcel's Links , and
What's Wrong with Copy Protection .

·
Registered
399 Posts
The word has it today that E* is spooling new software this evening for the 6000 receivers.

Among the improvements are the enabling of the autoscan functions for OTA channels and improvements in the way DTV programming is presented to those who have 4:3 HD sets.

Current software is 691. New version is 7xx.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Vic wrote:
Quote:
The 6000 does NOT yet have the capability to add black bars at top and bottom.
You're right, I assumed that most 4x3 screens would act like that Sony XBR400 that I have. It just displays what it gets which is 16x9. I see that in your case, where the set auto-stretches, it would *very* convenient for the 6000 to put bars at the top and bottom.

·
Registered
109 Posts
To answer the original question. HD is always 16:9 format. My DISH 6000 works great with my Mits 4:3 HDTV. I live with top and bottom bars in HD mode and with proper brightness, contrast, and sharpness settings, I have not seen any sign of burn in. Watching a lot of 4:3 material as well helps keep the CRTs healthy. I am very happy with the new software upgrade.

Impala Bob http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.