AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bummer! my year old 6000 refused to fire up tonight. After pulling the OTA card out it gives an 'acquiring signal, please wait' message.

After verifying an ok line by hooking up a 5000 unit, I went through the check switch analysis which verified the 6000 was not responding. So Dish gave me a R/A# and said I have to wait 3 to 5 business days for a refurbished unit.

The unit worked fine up till this point... Is reliability a problem for these units or is this an isolated incident?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I seem to recall that the 6000 was released to market well prior to last August. The original promise date for the 8-VSB module was to have been in August, but in typical Echostar fashion, got pushed back until last November.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The 6000 was released well before August. I received mine the first week of June.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Frank S... Sorry for not getting back sooner, I've been wallowing in my HD sorrow.

GScott is quite correct. My AmEx statement shows a 6/6/00 billing date for this item. The OTA card was another chapter unto itself.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kudos to Dish for fedexing me out another unit (it looks new). I'm back up once again with zero cost to myself.

The new demo loop does look nice!

In setup mode for HDTV there are a few options such as: source of signal, 1080i or 720p and aspect ratio 16x9. when I try to select 16x9, it won't let me. Any ideas?

Other than that, I'm back to the original software version 690NAD. Is this an improper version to run the OTA card?

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Tillman:

In setup mode for HDTV there are a few options such as: source of signal, 1080i or 720p and aspect ratio 16x9. when I try to select 16x9, it won't let me. Any ideas?

Other than that, I'm back to the original software version 690NAD. Is this an improper version to run the OTA card?
1. It's not supposed to be functional at this time. It will be in the next software update. Check out the other threads on this.

2. 691 is the current software. Turn off your unit. Within 15 or so minutes, the power button should start to flash indicating that the current 691 software is being downloaded. Wait for the light to stop flashing and then you can turn on your unit.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jerry,

It did upgrade to 691. Boy that was fast...

I missed the threads on the aspect ratio selection. I'll have to go find them. Any idea on the timing for next release and what else might be included? Any chance of the scan feature for finding OTA channels?

The Dish 6000 makes my Elite 610 shine. I'm happy to be a Dish sub.

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Jerry,

It did upgrade to 691. Boy that was fast...

I missed the threads on the aspect ratio selection. I'll have to go find them. Any idea on the timing for next release and what else might be included? Any chance of the scan feature for finding OTA channels?

The Dish 6000 makes my Elite 610 shine. I'm happy to be a Dish sub.
Very briefly, the next software will give full aspect control for 720/1080 signals and support for 4:3 HD sets. The scan feature will also be implemented. Don't know when the software will be released.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Kudos to Dish for fedexing me out another unit (it looks new). I'm back up once again with zero cost to myself.

I think 691 was the release that added Caller ID. I think 690 had support for the OTA module. Yep, that's what a forum search says.

I finally got around to asking Dish to send me a replacement for my 6000. The digital audio out never worked from day one. I got a refurbished unit (new ones have serial number that start with "R", refurbs begin with an "S" or "W"). They said 7 to 10 business days, but I got it in about three. I pulled the OTA tuner out of the old receiver, put it in the new one, and hooked everything up. Finally I can get DD5.1 from Dish into my home theater receiver.

Only problem was, I lost my RA#, and I had to spend about 30 minutes on hold to speak to someone who could tell me what it was. It took me 15 minutes just to get the phone number of the return center.

-Jonathan

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also just went down for the count. My Dish 6000 has only worked for 4 days out of the pst two weeks. The 6000 worked perfectly through the setup (110=112, 119=120, 61.5=102) until I actually called to have them intialize my account at which point it gave me the "015 Acquiring satellite" message. After blaming the SW21 switch, we replaced it with a new one to find that this didn't solve the problem. Dish then forced a new software download and the box worked perfectly.......for 4 days. Last night I powered it off for the first time and now all I get is the "015 Acquiring satellite." I have only had the unit for two weeks and they have told me that I have to go to a Dish dealer and PAY to have the internal switch matrix tested to see if it is functioning before they will send out a new unit. Why on earth am I paying to have a faulty unit tested when it is only two weeks old and has never worked correctly??? Good thing I paid with Amex because I am damn close to calling this whole deal off.

[This message has been edited by oversteer (edited 04-22-2001).]

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try running a lead directly from the 61.5 dish without the switches and see if you can get it to work. If so... then you may have a faulty connection somewhere in the set up. That happended to me even though I was certain of all my connections.

Good Luck

Bill Reed in Lutz Fl

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.