AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any Echostar 6000 receiver owners with the OTA cartridge have any remedy, short of tearing out the fan, of quieting this thing. I have phoned and e-mailed Dish Network and their response is the noise is normal.

Any remedies out there? I just can't believe Echostar doesn't have a fix for this.

Greg

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
There have been a few threads about this a while back but essentialy, taking the fan out is the best and easiest way. Some people have put a resistor in the fan line cutting the noise down. I have a fan that 95% of the time is quiet but every once in a while it gets really loud and can be heard even with the wood doors to my cabinet closed.

I am looking around on the net for a replacement fan but the fan in the module is a 40mm x 40mm x

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
absolutely agree..fan seems to need to sort of isolation or dampening. You stated that this subject has been on previous threads which leads me to believe no solution has yet been discovered. Will try a few things to quiet the damn thing down(other than ripping it out) and post a thread as to my results.

Greg

·
Registered
84 Posts
As has been stated in those earlier threads, one runs the risk of voiding the warranty on the unit if it is modified by the end user. One must ask oneself if one can afford to pay whatever is the purchase price of the unit if it fails and has to be returned to Echostar for repair, who notices the "tampering" and charges for a replacement unit. If the noise really IS that bad (i.e. if the fan is beginning to fail), then one should try to find a CSR who will listen to the concerns being presented and RMA the unit for another one.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
davhol, since Dish Network won't conceed to the fact that the 6000 is a inferior product, one doesn't have much choice but to find self remedies. At this point I will take my chances. Once my 1 year contract is up..by by Dish Network. This problem isn't isolated to my unit alone. You yourself stated this topic has been discussed in the past.

Greg

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lee L, I tried insulating the fan housing the best I could by inserting cuts of electrical tape between the fan housing and the module then taping the seems real tight so as not to vibrate. Improvement was minimal.

Just wondering if the resistor thing worked for those that tried?

Greg

·
Registered
84 Posts
Granted, the 6000 is showing it's age and so, you may be right in saying it is "inferior" to some other product on the market, but, with Dish, there is (currently) NO OTHER product available for HD reception so if you wish to subscribe to Dish's HD services, you have to use their IRD. For me, I place my 6000 in an A/V cabinet with a glass front and open back. The noise is negligible. I whole-heartedly agree that the "noise" is something that should have been addressed in the product design. I'm hoping (confident) that the next generation units will not have this "flaw." For me, I found it cheaper (less risk) to put the unit in a cabinet that muffles the sound rather than modify the unit (which I am qualified to do as an engineer). You make your own choices and I wish you genuine success.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have my 6000 in a glass-doored component stand (harkens back to the lovely 70's) that I bought at Best Buy for about $85. Glass door locks in the fan noise while it allows for you to view the lights on the front, and lets me use my non-UHF remotes without opening the doors.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you guys had success with the enclosed compartment route. I was thinking along the same lines but not really too excited about changing my whole rack around. Too bad there are not more reciever options available. Just another reason to switch to DirectTV in my mind or cable as soon as they offer HDTV options. But that is another subject. If all else fails I guess I will just take out the fan and housing and get it over with.

Greg

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I disconnected the fan. Mine was so loud that I could walk out of the room and hear it. F that. :mad:

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I disconnected mine too. It drove me crazy it was so loud. BTW, my 6000 does not run any hotter, just make sure there is nothig on top of it.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Quote:
I have my 6000 in a glass-doored component stand (harkens back to the lovely 70's) that I bought at Best Buy for about $85. Glass door locks in the fan noise while it allows for you to view the lights on the front, and lets me use my non-UHF remotes without opening the doors.

Funny, when I first got my 6000 and 8VSB mod a couple of years ago, I could not figure out what people were talking about, mine was pretty quiet, certainly no louder than my PVR. Then, about a month ago, I came downstairs one morning and I heard this really loud noise, it was the 8VSB fan. I have a solid wood cabinet with doors about 3/4" think and the sound was clearly audible througout the downstairs and in the upstairs hall if I was listneing for it, now I see what people are talking about. Funny thing is that I can turn the unit off a few times and eventually the fan will go back to being quiet again for a while but I am definitely looking for a better solution for long term now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yea thing does get loud. My hearing isn't what it once was but damn I can hear that thing loud and clear. I'll try some insulation between the cartridge and the housing unit in addition to the fan housing and see what happens. If that doesn't work I pulling the damn plug.

Lee L If you find a fan that works please let us know. I'll look around also now that I know the dims.

P.S. When I spoke with the Echostar tech she told me it was a non-issue(according to there records) and if it bothered me that much I should pull the plug when not using it. Now THERE is a remedy!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
OK- Heres my sad story.

I couldn't believe how noisy the 8VSB fan was when I installed it. Customer service said they had no record of any such problem, and that the unit was supposed to be quiet. So I RMA'ed the unit, put in the new one, and it was noisier! Ratshack meter showed 4dB more on the new unit, both units in the 62-69 dB range.

I currently have a paper clip preventing the fan from spinning. The bulk of the clip is on the top of the unit. I measured carefully, so only the fan is being touched, not the circuit board. My thinking is that this way there is no visible damage anywhere, if you get my drift.

For all you out there that suggest soldering in a resistor: maybe some of you know what electrical pitfalls my actions may have. And finally, I gotta ask, if you'se guys is so talented you can solder in a resistor, then why not replace the fan with any truly silent fan, even if its just sitting on top of the unit. I may pay someone to do just that.

Another idea is to put the receiver in another room. In my case, behind my TV is a wall, and on the other side of the wall are kitchen cabinets. So I may put a hole in the wall for the wires, put the receiver on the other side of the wall, thread the wires, sound insulate the hole, and mucho quiet. The remote does work thru walls.

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
I just unplugged the fan. My 6000 is on top of my rack and completely open to the air. It doesn't run all that hot and I have not had a problem after 18+ months now. Replacing the fan isn't easy, for a variety of reasons.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Bruce, the reason why some people use a resisitor instead of a new fan is because the fans are somewhat hard to obtain and many people who frequent these forums have some resistors laying around the house. Also, since IMO, the thin metal the fan is attached to resonating is often the problem, reducing the speed might be the best choice anyway. I am still looking for a fan since mine seems to come and go so I think the bearings might be going on it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had done the resistor mod on mine. I ended up removing it recently because I was having major breakup problems on one of the local digital stations and I wanted to see if it might be related to overheating. After removing the resistor, my problems with that station went away. The noise is driving me insane, again, however. I have my receiver in a rack with a glass door and I can still hear the thing. I think I'm going to look for some kind of fan to set on top of the receiver and then unplug the internal fan.

·
Registered
195 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
After about a year of listening to the whirr of my fan, I pulled the module, opened it up and pulled the fan completely out.

The thing now runs cooler and the top of the unit is acutally cool to the touch now where it used to get hot. I think the fan acutally restricts air flow.

·
Registered
37 Posts
More Quickie questions:

I thought the resistor mod was to replace the fan with a resistor. But one post led me to believe that a resistor might be wired in to slow down the fan to the point that it was quiet.

In any case, isn't the resistor then a heat source? Or is that heat source insignificant?

And BTW, what is involved with a) removing the fan, b) disconnecting the fan. By involved, I mean is it easy as pie, or is there anything to be careful of?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.