AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the E* 6000 (with 8PSK) for a month now. Great HD on HBO, Showtime & Discovery.

I just got the 8VSB OTA module today (its been back ordered). Looking at my first OTA right now. Looks pretty good. Will take a look at The Tonight Show later and anticipating more HD hapiness.

My problem is I am already very iritated by the high pitched fan noise of the 8VSB module. I have read many posts here and elsewhere about the 6000 including the fan noise. I already pulled the module and tried the oil on the bearing. No big change. My question is for those that simply removed the fan or unplugged it. Have you had heat problems? Is it still disconnected or did you have to put it back? Any other suggestions besides the upgrade fan replacement?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yes, I'm with you on this.

I have a new Dish 6000 with the module, and the fan is really starting to irritate me. I've read that it should become a lot worse over the coming months. As it is, this one fan is already as loud as my HTPC.

Absurdly enough, my fan runs 24/7. I can't imagine this being the case for everyone, right?

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
I was also irritated when I first got the module installed, twenty months ago, and it took time to get over it. Mine has not gotten any worse and to be honest, I don't even notice it anymore. Having said that, this is my workout room and entertainment room, so the only time I'm there are for those purposes. I think most would attest to the fact over time it becomes a non-issue.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I pulled my fan out about 8 months ago and leave it plenty of breathing room. So far, no problems.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
My fan got started getting really loud and was acutally squeaking. It'a about a year and a half old, so I just pulled the fan. It works fine and the silence is bliss.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the replies...

I think I am going to pull the plug on the fan. I don't think I have to remove it totally. Did older 8VSB modules not have the plug to simply unplug the fanl? Or did ya'll that removed it, do so for more air?

Again, thanks....

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pulled the fan. My 6000 is on top of my VCR which is on top of TV. Nothing on top of the 6000. VCR vary rarely used. DVD and Receiver in stack to right.

The 6000 has been on a couple of hours now with no noise and suprisingly no unusual heat to the touch above the 8VSB module. Things are looking (and sounding) good...

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I pulled the fan just to give a little more airflow. I think the thing is acutally cooler now because most of the top of the 6000 used to acutally get hot to touch when the fan was in. Now with the fan out I can feel the unit radiating heat, but the unit itself is cool to the touch. It's been working fine for me for about a month this way.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
My fan was soldered directly to the board, no plug. I bought mine in January, 2001.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks opiwan and Marissadad...

I think I'll just leave it unplugged for awhile. If need be, I'll remove it totally which will leave a nice chimney for hot air to vent.

Yes, my newer 8VSB module has 4 nylon screws that hold it in place and a simple plug. Much easier than a soldered unit.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I should clarify, the fan was secured to the housing with 4 nylon screws but the wire was soldered direct to the board.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I solved my fan noise problem a couple of months ago when I took out the module and lubed the fan with white lithium grease I had laying around. The fan promptly burned out and my Dish 6000 has been quiet ever since. So I recommend you NOT use something as heavy as lithium grease as lube unless your objective is to burn out the fan.

But I did solve the noise problem and the module is working fine. I suppose I will go ahead and remove the fan to allow better ventilation.

JR

·
Registered
86 Posts
If I might add a caution: I experienced what I believed were two heat related issues after I disconnected the fan, but left in the case. After the unit was in operation contiuously for several days, I noticed that I was not locking onto some of the OTA channels I had previously. I also noticed a subtle shifting/loss of saturation of colors, particularly noticable in browns and skin tones. Suspecting a heat problem, I unplugged the unit (just pressing the off button will not turn power off from the unit) for several hours, letting it completely cool down. When I turned on the unit, the signals were back and the colors stable---but only for a couple hours when the problem reoccurred.

I experimented by removing the entire outer case of the module. This appears to corrected this issue, but I can't be completely sure. Anyway, it works well enough that I'm willing to live with it just to get rid of the fan noise.

If you do a search of the board, someone put a variable resistor to control (reduce) the fan speed. This apparently worked too.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
I have the outer case and fan removed as well and have not experienced any heat issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.