AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem is with multiple images on off-air HD signals. When viewed in HD mode, it like the images aren't aligned on top of each other. It only happens on my ABC and FOX signals , CBS and NBC do fine. It IS NOT present when watching the same HD signal in SD mode. I've been told it might be multi-pathing and that I need to put a rotator on my antenna to solve the problem. I don't understand that as my signal strength is 80+ on all channels. DISH has told me it's a broadcast problem but the local broadcast engineers have been of little help. Can anyone steer me in the right direction to solve this?

Bob in NC

·
Registered
630 Posts
Do a search for a forum member named Bill Taylor. Send him an email requesting to participate with his list serve. Most of the local engineers are participating and this would be a great place to have specific questions answered.

Hope this helps.

Scott

I just did the search. His user name is wtaylor. His user profile has his home page listed.

[This message has been edited by Scott Burns (edited 08-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
The following was posted about Dish 6000 problems on certain stations. Maybe it applies to your situation. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/001602.html

"Is it possible you are suffering from the dreaded Dish 6000 "zipper effect"?

The symptom is that the picture is fuzzy and the edges of the frames appear to show alternating lines of the picture offset from one and other.

It only occurs with 480P and 720P (NYPD BLUE) sources. And is correctable by using "menu" 6, 1, 9 (HDTV setup) then using the ADJUST button to

move the picture to a point wherein the edge lines converge. Unfortunately, when all is said and done, your picture may not be centered, but at least it will be crisp."

·
Registered
70 Posts
Bob,I live in Charlotte and run the Dish 6000 w/OTA module to receive local HD's w/no problems.

Local FOX and ABC are only ones broadcasting in 720p. Are you displaying in 720p native or down-converting to 1080i? Since few HDTV's are capable of 720p display, I'm assuming you are down-converting to 1080i.

If that's the case, then the problem is in the conversion since you receive the other 1080i locals. Have you tried your HD 6000 on another display unit?

If your box will work in another location on a different set, then you have an antenna/reception problem. If it won't, then you probably have a HD 6000 problem.

Let me know if I can help - i.e. if you'd like to try your 6000 at my location. We could probably work that out if you'll send me a private e-mail.

As Scott said above, you should contact Bill Taylor and get on the local listserve he set up for HDTV Users. Bill and some others in the group are very knowledgeable in troubleshooting problems like this.

Regards - Gene

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
Hi Bob this is the other brother Bob here...

I've heard of these issues with the 6000, and have borrowed

one from the fine folks at TransWorld Satellite here in

Monroe..

I haven't seen this particular problem you describe, but will be glad to help you if we can.

I tend to agree with Gene, that it is a display or downconversion problem. Anyway, I will try and replicate what you describe in the "lab" next week..

I'd like to echo Gene's invitations for you to join our local forum..

Send me a PMif Ican help, or call me...

------------------

Regards,

Bob Davis, DOE

WCCB-Fox18/WCCB-DT27

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gene -

I'm displaying on a Toshiba TN50X81 RPTV in 1080i. This set will not accept a 720p input. It seems to me that you are on to something with your 720p observation. If you remember that I can watch in SD mode fine, but have a problem when converting it to 1080i. Its like the 6000 can successfully downconvert the 720p signal for use as an SD input, but it simply can't convert properly to 1080i. I've tried to get E* to replace the 8VSB cartridge with a new one, but so far have not been successful. I'll keep on plugging. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
BWILSON-- Did you at least try the fix mentioned in the 3rd post of this thread?

"Is it possible you are suffering from the dreaded Dish 6000 "zipper effect"?

The symptom is that the picture is fuzzy and the edges of the frames appear to show alternating lines of the picture offset from one and other.

It only occurs with 480P and 720P (NYPD BLUE) sources. And is correctable by using "menu" 6, 1, 9 (HDTV setup) then using the ADJUST button to

move the picture to a point wherein the edge lines converge. Unfortunately, when all is said and done, your picture may not be centered, but at least it will be crisp."

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Last night I tried the screen centering fix recommended here and the result was quite good. While the picture is now ok, it seems silly that I can spend hours fine tuning the convergence (anamorphic squeeze) of my set to get a perfect picture only to have to fix a 720p reception problem by crudely adjusting the screen position to align multiple images! Any comments or suggestions will be appreciated.

Bob in NC

·
Registered
7,059 Posts
We have made some additional software changes today,

hopefully this will correct the breakup seen on the 6000

receiver when viewing HD channels. If someone with a 6000

couldn check and let us know, We'd appreciate it.

Note:

This will NOT correct the 720p to 1080i conversion problems.

(so called "zipper" effect..)Which appears to be a specific receiver/monitor interface issue.

------------------

Regards,

Bob Davis, DOE

WCCB-Fox18/WCCB-DT27

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:
Its like the 6000 can successfully downconvert the 720p signal for use as an SD input, but it simply can't convert properly to 1080i.
With your fix it sounds like you've eliminated the OTA module as being the problem. If anything it still sounds like the downconversion may be a little flawed. My set (Panasonic PT5-56WXF95) can display 720p or 1080i. The 6000 displays either without any problems for all the locals and DSS.

Has your fix resulted in a satisfactory image now? If not let us know if you want to try more troubleshooting.

Regards - Gene

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brother Bob -

I have not had past breakup problems with my 6000, so I can't comment on your software change. However, I am now experiencing a high frequency green overlay when changing between 18-1 and 18-2. It lasts for less than a second and then everything appears fine.

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.