Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my dish 6000 installed today.

Good News is I got the DISH HD package and it looks awsome.

Bad News is I'm not getting any OTA channels.

I got the 8vsb module and a Channel Master 3016 VHF/UHF Antenna. I am 5 miles from the towers but I can't actually see the towers from my house due to some small rolling hills. I planned to install in the attic, but I didn't have time to get that setup before the installers came so I just temporarily attached it to my deck on the second floor of my house. Now I know that isn't an ideal setup but I'm getting 0% signal, and I would think if I just had it sitting on the ground I would get something. Also I am getting all the analog channels just fine.

The installers say it's my antenna. They told their boss exactly what antenna I had and he said 'good luck getting HD on that antenna' that I needed a 'High Definition antenna', one of those 'hamburger grill' antennas. Which I eventually deciphered as a double bow tie, and I've read that those are good, but I want the VHF as well and I've read that a number of people have had success with the 3016. So they say it's my antenna, I say it's the 8vsb or receiver. Well they don't have another 8vsb or 6000 with them, so I should try the 'hamburger grill' and if that don't work then they will come back out and swap the hardware. I think that is a bunch of malarky.

Anyway, I'm going to get the other antenna just to prove them so I can get them to come back out and fix this.

Shouldn't I be getting some kind of signal strength even if I've just got a coat thanger?

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
If you're getting zeroes across the board, that sounds like a defective receiver. At 5 miles, you should get some signal with a loop antenna, or with rabbit ears.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I agree with jckessler. Try connecting the antenna to the regular analog inputs of the TV and see if you get analog reception. If so, it is the 8VSB problem.

Rick R

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your input.

I've got all the analog channels, both UHF and VHF coming in fine and clear, no ghosting or breakup, and that is connected either thru the 6000 8vsb module or thru a VCR (There is no tuner in my projector).

I want to put this thing to bed quickly, so tonight I'm picking up the antenna they suggested and a Samsung OTA STB. Then I can figure out exactly where the problem is. If the Samsung works then it's the 6000 receiver. When they replace my receiver I'll take the Samsung back. If not I'll try the other antenna, but I'm not expecting to have to open that antenna.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Excuse the silly question, but are you tuning in the real channel number or just the remap one? For example, 2.1 is actually channel 56 in NYC. I had this problem when I first got my OTA digital receiver. Your installers calling the double bow-tie a hamburger grill made me think that they are unfamiliar with this.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Your problem sounds pretty much exactly like the problem my receiver had. I had the receiver for about a year before I got the 8VSB module. When I installed it I got nothing. I installed the 8VSB module in my friend's E* 6000 and it worked fine. I ended up having to get a replacement receiver.

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Before returning the receiver, trying removing and reseating the 8-VSB module. Then, try a DTV channel scan from the OTA setup menu. If you don't get any hits, manually select one or two known digital broadcast channels, and try re-orienting the antenna slowly in several directions (DTV broadcasts can be highly sensitive to DTV antenna orientation and placement).

If you are still unsuccessful in getting any kind of signal on a DTV broadcast affiliate, then I would inquire about a replacement.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I have all the digital station numbers from antennaweb.org. The scan comes up with nothing and I've also manually selected all the channels by channel number. 0 signal strength on everything.

Last night I bought a Zenith 420 OTA STB to see if I could get reception with that tuner, hoping to prove the 6000 or 8vsb module was bad. Well I was surprised and dissapointed when I couldn't receive any channels with that box either. Although the meter at least did show a signal. There are no numbers on the meter only BAD/NORMAL/GOOD. The signal fluctuated between BAD and NORMAL. So I'm getting something, but I guess not enough.

I get the analog VHF and UHF fine, do the digital channels require a significantly stronger signal.

This area has lot of rolling hills. My house is in a little valley. I cannot see the towers from my house, but I can see from up the street. I've looked at some topo maps. The towers are at 1995 ft and less than 6 miles away. My house is at about 220 ft and I have a hill between me and the towers that peaks at about 260 ft about 1/4 mile from my house. By my calculations the land mass should not be in the path between me and the towers, but this is treed land and the Douglas Firs prominent in this area are between me and the towers. I guess those trees are blocking the signal. Do I have to have a direct line of site to the towers?

I'm going to try moving my antenna higher up on the roof. and probably try a 4 bay bow tie UHF antenna this weekend.

I guess I didn't think it would be this hard to get the DTV signal since I have been watching analog with a pair of crummy rabbit ears.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Are your locals at low power? I'm really suprised you're having this much difficulty getting anything, given how close you are.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by jckessler
Are your locals at low power? I'm really suprised you're having this much difficulty getting anything, given how close you are.
If your referring to the signal being broadcast from the tower, I looked the major networks up on the FCC site and for their digital towers they all are showing either

Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 1000 kW ERP or

Effective Radiated Power (ERP): 839. kW ERP

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The good news is that you have some signal. Now it is just a matter of getting the right antenna, getting it high enough and aimed right and you should be ready to go. At 5 miles you shouldn't need an amplifier but antenna choice is critical and I would say a 4 or 8 bay bow tie would be your best bet. They are not as critical in aiming and yet they have very high gain. The Channel Master 3021 is a 4 bay and the 4228 is an 8 bay. The combo VHF UHF you have would be fine under normal circumstances but if you need UHF gain then go with the 3021 or 4228. Use a combiner to add your VHF signal back in. If you only have UHF HD stations then run a separate piece of RG-6 for the UHF antenna and don't use the splitters and combiners because there will be some loss in all of them. Get the signal working first and then determine if you can combine VHF with it. The 3016 has about 8 db of gain whereas teh 4228 has around 12 db which is better than twice the signal strength. The 3021 has around 10 db. These are rough middle of the band numbers. Lots of details at Stark Electronics on various antennas. You may have to work at it but you can get there.

Hope this helps,

..Doyle

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have the same problem as bullfrog, my analog channels come in great through the 8vsb.

But I get zero signal strength on all digitals...moved large radio shack anntenna with rotor....no signal anywhere....

Get analogs nice and clear with 8vsb or without....

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
ride,

How far are you from your local broadcast affiliates? If you are 30 miles or less, you might want to try something like a Silver Sensor from Circuit City, just to be sure it's not an antenna issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Solved my problem!!!!

I had also posted my problem over on the Nearly Official Portland DTV thread and got a tip from ridgefamus that did the trick. He had similar problems and found that his signal was too strong and had to install a 10db attenuator. So I tried that and bingo I can pull in all the DTV stations in my area on the Zenith 420. Getting good signal strength.

Here I am concerned that I'm not gettting a good signal and in reality the signal was to strong. Apparantly, if the signal is too strong you can get severe multipathing and the receiver can't lock on.

Unfortunately I am still getting zip on the 6000, but at least now I can prove to the installers that it's a bad 6000 or 8vsb and get them to come back out and replace it.

Thanks to everyone for your help. I have gotten such great info and help in these forums, it's incredible what I have learned about Home Theater, Projectors, HDTV Hardware/Programming, Antenna's, etc., etc.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My 8vsb module is bad.

Took receiver and module over to another 6000 and 8vsb owner. My receiver with my 8vsb does not work there (he gets 17 digital channels with his 6000 and 8vsb.)

Tried his 8vsb in my receiver, and presto 17 digitial channels! Now, I just hope that the 8vsb that Dish sends me works this time!

Thanks for your suggestions!

Jeff

P.S. Received my second 8vsb from Dish. It works great ! Digital and HDTV are super!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.