AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While playing with the new 6000 software this weekend, I noticed that one channel, KTLA-DT (HD version of analog 5 in the So. Cal. market) didn't have all the zoom modes available. I'd set the mode to 'Partial Zoom' on one channel, and then change to KTLA-DT, and the mode would revert to 'normal'. Hitting the '*' button would cycle through only a subset of the 5 modes, which didn't include Partial Zoom. When changing back to another HD channel, it would go back to 'Partial Zoom'.

This is actually a good thing, as KTLA does a weird partial-zoom of their own, with pencil thin black bars on the side (14x9? Whatever it is, I hate it), so having the 6000 do partial zoom isn't desirable. I'm just wondering what it is about KTLA's HD signal that makes this happen. Is there some info in the digital stream that turns some modes off?

One other weird thing about KTLA. It's the only channel that doesn't get picked up with a channel scan, unless I set the antenna mode to 'Cable'. (I'm using an OTA UHF antenna). And then, even though KTLA-DT is actually on UHF 31, it gets scanned as 75. But, if I enter 31 manually, the 6000 picks it up and re-maps it to channel 5. Weird.

Dave

[This message has been edited by davestill (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Dave,

If a station is broadcasting a 480p signal, then only the 3 aspect modes (Normal, Gray, and Stretch) are available. With all other signals (480i, 720p, 1080i), all 5 aspect controls are available. KTLA uses 480p. The last time I checked, Fox 11 was also broadcasting 480p. Dish is aware of this. It may be related to the chip or driver software. I don't know if it's fixable at this time.

Jerry

·
Registered
62 Posts
I keep seeing mention of a "normal" view mode in the new 6000 software. I do not have this mode available for any channel in any aspect ratio for 1080i or 720p with the 6000 in HD mode. Is this normal? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif I do not use SD mode, and have not tested it with the new software. I have a 4:3 TV.

The modes I have for HD are letterbox, gray bar and stretch. For non-HD channels the mode is locked in stretch. The problem is that in stretch mode quite a bit of the image is lost on left and right. Since this is now the only option for all but a handful of channels, I consider this upgrade to be worse than what I had.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Jerry G said:

If a station is broadcasting a 480p signal, then only the 3 aspect modes (Normal, Gray, and Stretch) are available. With all other signals (480i, 720p, 1080i), all 5 aspect controls are available. KTLA uses 480p. The last time I checked, Fox 11 was also broadcasting 480p. Dish is aware of this. It may be related to the chip or driver software. I don't know if it's fixable at this time.
I didn't know KTLA was 480p (looks great aside from the pencil bars). I checked KTTV (Fox), which is widely criticized for its 480p, but it had all 5 modes available, so something else must be going on.

Quote:
Candyman said:

The modes I have for HD are letterbox, gray bar and stretch.
Perhaps you have the 6000 set for 4x3? I've been talking about 16x9 - not sure what modes are available for 4x3.

Dave

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Dave said:
Quote:
I checked KTTV (Fox), which is widely

criticized for its 480p, but it had all 5 modes available, so something else must be going on.

Dave,

It's been a while since I checked how Fox 11 is sending the DTV signal. If you're getting all modes, they must have switched to 480i or 720p. I'll check when I get a chance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.