AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to hold digital channel 3 for a couple of weeks but over the weekend it kept switching to digital 58, even after I deleted and re-entered 35. Has anyone had any luck holding both 3 and 58? Is there a way to force digital 3 instead of 58?

------------------

Go Duke !

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
No one with a 6000 is able to receive both kcra3 and 58. And there is no work around, and no way to enter the channel directly! Everybody in sacto is SOL on this one...including me.

Hammer

·
Registered
868 Posts
Dish has been told about the problem. I believe that a recording of KCRA's bit stream has been sent to dish so they can look into the problem.

------------------

Rory

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.!

------------------

Go Duke !

·
Registered
180 Posts
Can anybody verify that they are receiving both on the 6000?

Also, how are people handling the KOVR fuster-cluck where they switch between 10-1 (for HDTV) and 10-2 (for SDTV)? Everytime they switch, I have to go back into the local channels setup screen and re-enter channel 61. Anybody got a better way to handle it?

I am getting to the point where I am tempted to dump my 6000 and get a DirecTV receiver (if I could decide which model to buy :-} ).

Don

[This message has been edited by hearth (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Don, I believe you've got your channels mixed up. Channels 10.1 and 10.2 or 10.3 are KXTV-DT, not KOVR-DT.

Now as to your situation I've got the same problem but different equipment. I have a Sony KD-34XBR2 which has an internal OTA HDTV tuner. When I am watching their SD 4:3 feed on 10.2 or 10.3 (they switch between the two) I'll get a Sony warning box stating that "Channel 10 can now be viewed on Channel 61, press enter or exit". After I press enter on my remote control the set tunes to 61 and then the same warning box pops up saying the same thing except now it's reversed 61 to 10. After pressing enter again I'm back on 10. Sometimes this will repeat every few minutes.

As of yesterday I have been working with a technical person at KXTV to sort out the problem. I initiated contact with them to determine whether the problem was due to glitch in my Sony or on their end. Your Dish 6000 exhibiting the same behavior may indicate my equipment is not to blame. I'll relay your problem to KXTV tomorrow when I send them a progress report.

Two things I've learned so far that works with my Sony is I can manually, using remote control, tune in channel 61.1 for extended viewing. Starting from that channel will not initiate the round-robin switching behavior. Second, it did not occur last night during the two hour HDTV block from 8-10:00 pm on channel 10.1. I might have just been lucky or it may be that the problem only occurs on the SD feeds. - Garrett

[This message has been edited by Garrett Adams (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for the correction on KOVR versus KXTV. Since I am a life-long Sacramentan, I still think of ABC as KOVR & CBS as KXTV (they swapped network affiliation about 6-7 years ago).

The problem that I have with the 6000 and KXTV is that I will be watching a show that is being broadcasted in SDTV

on 10.2 or 10.3. Then, at the top of the hour, they switch to a HDTV show. They turn off broadcasting to 10.2 and start broadcasting at 10.1. The problem is that all of a sudden, my 6000 receiver detects that their isn't a channel any longer at 10.2, so it kicks me to a satellite station (in my case HBOHD). When I go to the channel guide, 10.2 is no longer there and 10.1 isn't there either. So, I am forced to go into my channel setup and re-add channel 61. I wish that both 10.2 and 10.1 would always stay up, so that I do not have to re-add this channel every day. Right now, to get around this problem, I never watch 10.2 and only tune to channel 10.1 if I know that there is a HDTV program on. I am sure that the DTV receivers are handling this problem better than this piece of &%^$^% 6000 receiver.

By the way, I can confirm that since KCRA has stopped broadcasting the channel guide info, I can get both 3 & 58

on channels 35.1 and 35.2 respectively.

[This message has been edited by hearth (edited 09-28-2001).]

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Shoot, now that you've explained your problem I see it's not the same one as mine. My Sony tuner detects the switch from SD to HD seamlessly. I found out KXTV normally "turns on" their HD feed a half hour before HD programming starts, so until you sort out your problem you can manually make the switch prior to show time.

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Yes, I can confirm all these bugs in the 6000.

CBS Sacto is the only one who has got the SD/HD switch working the way it ought to, IMHO. None of them understand that this sub-channel on and off stuff is bull.

Hammer

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Hey, I am new to HDTV and would like to get OTA working. Since you guys are from Sac/Stockton and such, I figured I would ask you.

I have not yet purchased the antenna or rotor for receiving OTA and am looking into the options. I would prefer to have the antenna in the attic since it is much easier to deal with, but I want to know if any of you are doing this with decent/great results. Or if you have tried it and dropped the issue and mounted it on the roof. I have quite a bit of free space in the attic, but don't know that I could use too large of a radius on the turning, I will have to measure what I could actually fit.

Also, are you guys able to pick up a fair amount of stations in HD in this area? I am in Manteca, so I was kinda hoping that I could get Sac/Stockton/Fresno stations.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am using the Panasonic TU-HDS20 HD receiver feeding into my Sony 10HT projector onto a 100" screen.

------------------

Scott Vonhof
Scott's Site: DIY Speakers and Theater

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.