AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to take apart the OTA module, which was easy enough, to at least gather some information on the noisy fan. And I managed to quiet it down significantly (if the fix will last). Here is a low res picture:

http://users.erols.com/gcameron/otafan.JPG

The writing on the small blue & white hub is:

SUNON

KD0504PEB3-8

DC5V - 0.3W

Y2K37 ZP CLE

MADE IN TAIWAN

It turns out the blue & white label is simply an adhesive sticker. This fan is extremely cheap!!! I peeled back the sticker, which revealed the shaft bearing and a hint of some lubricating oil. Whereupon, I added a drop of clockmakers oil and set the label sticker back in place. I also put a tiny amount of oil on the other side of the shaft where it seems to bear only on plastic (this is the top as it is oriented in the 6000). After re-assembling the module and inserting it back in the 6000, it was significantly quieter, maybe 6dB. I might me able to live with this!!! Hopefully that oil will last - else I'll find a better purpose oil. For those interesting in possibly replacing the fan, here are the major dimensions:

outer case: 40mm square

nylon screw mounts: 32 mm on center, four each on square

thickness: 7 mm (there is room for at least a 10mm thick fan)

per label: 5 volts, DC

--Gerald C

·
Registered
113 Posts
Looks like a sleeve bearing fan. A computer ball bearing fan would be much better and last longer. Sleeve bearing fans tend to get VERY loud over time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gerald C,

I will also try the oil trick. Any trick to getting the metal cover off? Thanks for the info on size and voltage. If the oil does not work for long, I will order a computer fan especially made for quiet operation.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by tommybartels:
Any trick to getting the metal cover off?
After removing the module from the 6000, there is one remaining philips-head screw on the back. Remove this, and then loosen, but don't remove the nut around the F-connector. The top cover will then slide up from the back, and can be unhinged from the front. Be careful not to stress the power supply wires to the fan when you do this. They are long enough, but the solder joints to the card may not be too strong!

--Gerald C

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dan--

Your are right that 16dBA is very quiet if the fan is actually performing at this level. The addition of oil to mine made it much quieter, leaving me to believe that it was not delivered to spec. The fan is isolated with nylon screws which may not be as good as rubber, but I still think most of the noise in my unit is coming from the bearings themselves.

--Gerald

[This message has been edited by Gerald C (edited 12-21-2000).]

·
Registered
151 Posts
My fan is operating at least 32 dba. I now know, thanks to all you guys efforts, that my fan is defective, and it will most likely not "break in".

When I first plugged it in, it made a horrible buzzing whirring sound. It still buzzes and whirrs, but not nearly as loudly, and not at 4000 RPM.

The problem is obvious. The fan itself is out of balance. I will be requesting a new one.

Thanks you guys.

Now we know why some people can't even hear the fan.

John.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Hey, it's Dan the Man! This guy knows his stuff. A hale & hearty welcome to Mr. Collins.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

·
Premium Member
24,983 Posts
"Sleeve bearing fans tend to get VERY loud over time."

Sleeve bearings are quieter than rolling element bearings. The oil film damps vibration, whereas the surface roughness of the balls rolling over the races creates vibation and noise.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
47 Posts
The discussion on the fan noise is interesting!

However......

I have all my Home Theater components installed in 5' high, 24" wide enclosure with a glass door at the front and open at the back. If one approaches the enclosure from the back, the fan noise is quite perceptible!

From the front, with the glass door close, you can't hear the fan. Open, the door and you hear it. The 6000 is sitting on the bottom shelf of the enclosure.

------------------

Dan Buchler

Minnesota

·
Registered
141 Posts
Looks like our friends at Dish/Nxtwave tried to "help" us by locking the nylon nuts on the fan with Crazy Glue.

*******S!

·
Registered
79 Posts
It looks like we all got a mixed "bag o fans". Mine is quiet enough that it really just sounds like a faint equipment buzz or hum. I couldn't understand why others were saying it was so loud but if there is a lot of variance I guess that explains it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
"PCMan-- Can you suggest a source to buy a quality replacement fan?

I found one possible answer here: http://store.yahoo.com/a-p/40mm5vdcfan.html

--Gerald C"

Looks like a good one, if the same voltage. As to the post about sleeve bearings being more quiet, I would really have to disagree. Sleeve bearings wear out much faster and become very noisy. I am in the bearing business. We make missile guidance gyros, medical headpiece bearings and many others. We also used to make hard drive bearings. We also make aerospace bearings of many kinds. Sleeve bearings are cheap and not long lasting. Also, adding oil to them will quiet them for awhile, but also attract dust and make them wear out faster, unless you oil them almost daily.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I tried oiling the fan (with clock oil) and tried remounting it, neither made it quiet enough. I then built a box out of 1/2 MDF boards with a plexiglass front and that made it quiet enough. Not that it is not silent. I can still hear the fan, but the sound is low enough now to be considered background noise. I hope DISH eventually comes out with a fan-less model, I would be willing to pay another $100 for that.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I discovered this by accident, when I left my heavy duty surround receiver on top of 6000, the fan noise almost disappeared, even at late evening when it was very quiet. Seem to me the 6000 chassis was not aligned properly, and the additional weight corrected this. Good thing I have enough "leg room" between the receiver and 6000, so they will stay that way for now.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Just thought I'd add to this old thread. I just got a terrestrial receiver add-in for a new model 6000. That fan is pretty small (1.5") and relatively quiet. Yes, I can hear it, but it is drowned out by the TV volume. In fact, it is drowned out by my PS2 fan which is much louder . . . and I never noticed the PS2 fan when watching DVDs. Perhaps the fan will become a little louder after a while, but I don't think it will be a problem once I get a glass door.

·
Registered
28,306 Posts
Brub poses a good question; one I wish someone would respond to. Is there in fact any downside to using an external power switch to power down the 6000 receiver when not in use, thereby resoring complete quiet to the living room? Software updates, I would imagine, are few and far between and if you missed one by having the unit turned off, I assume it would simply download the next time you turned the unit back on.

I'd like to find a device that would control power supply to the 6000 via IR codes. I've heard something about "X-10" devices but don't really know what the heck that is....

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have an Adcom power switcher that senses the state of my receiver and switches the rest of the equipment on and off accordingly. Something like that could work with the 6000. I wouldn't use it for that though because you'd be killing power while the unit was hot which probably would affect reliability. Fortunately my 6000 is very quiet.

Chuck Davis

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
While you guys are into the interior of your 6000's, can I please get someone to confirm some wiring? Looking at the AC power lead in wire , I'm seeking to verify that the white wire is closest to the Back-panel & the Black-wire is positioned to the front.Green is the ground. I decided to make a power cord change & want to confirm that I have back together correctly. Thanks,

And while I'm at it! I'm still seeking the signal level at the RF input of the OTA module as measured with an RF power meter.

[This message has been edited by damon (edited 03-31-2001).]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.