AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone else confirm that the volume level on the satellite channels is much higher than OTA channels ?

The OTA channels in question are the L.A. locals. But it is very consistent across all the OTA channels, so doubt it is particular to L.A. stations.

I am feeding the optical output to my DD/DTS/Pro-Logic processor. I haven't tried the analog outputs from the 6000. I didn't really intend to, but I'm starting to wonder if I'll have to in order to avoid this jarring volume discrepancy when changing channels.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's nice to know it isn't just my processor or something.

I don't recall it being on the list of issues for the next software update. I wonder if it is something that can be corrected by an update, or if the real culprit is that the satellite channels have always been very carrying high volume levels ? It seems like the analog OTA stations come through 6000 (still digital optical output) somewhere in between the digital OTA volume and the satellite channels.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Actually it's a matter of the "True" HD channels having lower volumes instead of just the Digital OTA channels! If you check the "True HD channels on satellite you'll notice the same lower volume on those channels as well as the Digital OTA channels.

------------------

------------------
My DVD/LD List My Equipment List

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are absolutely correct, Frank. I hadn't noticed before, but it obvious switching between HBO-E and HBOHD.

Does anybody know if Dish has commented on any upcoming fix for this ?

------------------

Kirk Ellis

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dreamer:
You are absolutely correct, Frank. I hadn't noticed before, but it obvious switching between HBO-E and HBOHD.

Does anybody know if Dish has commented on any upcoming fix for this ?

I thought the volume was lower on the HD channels to accomodate greater dynamic range for DD5.1. That was the explanation I heard.

Then again, that doesn't explain why other channels broadcasting DD5.1 aren't quieter - if that's the case. I've only had working DD5.1 on my Dish system for a few days so I don't have much experience with it. I'd been using the analog audio outputs for months because the digital output never worked on my first 6000.

-Jonathan

[This message has been edited by jhue (edited 04-20-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.