AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone else confirm that the volume level on the satellite channels is much higher than OTA channels ?

The OTA channels in question are the L.A. locals. But it is very consistent across all the OTA channels, so doubt it is particular to L.A. stations.

I am feeding the optical output to my DD/DTS/Pro-Logic processor. I haven't tried the analog outputs from the 6000. I didn't really intend to, but I'm starting to wonder if I'll have to in order to avoid this jarring volume discrepancy when changing channels.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's nice to know it isn't just my processor or something.

I don't recall it being on the list of issues for the next software update. I wonder if it is something that can be corrected by an update, or if the real culprit is that the satellite channels have always been very carrying high volume levels ? It seems like the analog OTA stations come through 6000 (still digital optical output) somewhere in between the digital OTA volume and the satellite channels.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are absolutely correct, Frank. I hadn't noticed before, but it obvious switching between HBO-E and HBOHD.

Does anybody know if Dish has commented on any upcoming fix for this ?

------------------

Kirk Ellis

·
Registered
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dreamer:
You are absolutely correct, Frank. I hadn't noticed before, but it obvious switching between HBO-E and HBOHD.

Does anybody know if Dish has commented on any upcoming fix for this ?

I thought the volume was lower on the HD channels to accomodate greater dynamic range for DD5.1. That was the explanation I heard.

Then again, that doesn't explain why other channels broadcasting DD5.1 aren't quieter - if that's the case. I've only had working DD5.1 on my Dish system for a few days so I don't have much experience with it. I'd been using the analog audio outputs for months because the digital output never worked on my first 6000.

-Jonathan

[This message has been edited by jhue (edited 04-20-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.