AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to view some OTA broadcasts before I start my Dish subscription. I know that there needs to be a signal lock on the 110/119 sat. in order to enable the 8VSB adapter, but do I need to start the subsciption as well, or is the lock on the 110/119 sat. enough to get me started on the OTA 8VSB?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Can you cancel your DISH subscription and still get OTA stations? Once I disconnect my dish, all I get is "searching for satellite signal". Is there any way around this problem?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hoops2:

Can you cancel your DISH subscription and still get OTA stations?

Yes (reportedly)

Quote:
Once I disconnect my dish, all I get is "searching for satellite signal". Is there any way around this problem?
Hook the dish back up. It is reported that a signal lock on any E* satellite will let the 6000 work.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADent:

Yes (reportedly)
Yes (definitely)

When I first got my 6000, I hooked it up to the 119 dish (I hadn't installed the 61.5 one yet), and it took the initial download. Then I installed the OTA module, hooked it up to a cheezy indoor antenna I had laying around, and was able to tune a couple of OTA stations just fine. Although I was a Dish customer, I hadn't yet activated the new receiver, so for all intents and purposes it was a good test.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Actually, my problem is that I won't have the dish connected. Is there a way around the "searching for satellite signal" or do I have to have the dish connected?

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
Nope, you must have the dish connected. Supposedly this will be fixed on a future software update, but there's no timetable for that.

------------------

Vic Ruiz
STOP HDCP/DFAST/5C

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
The DirecTV boxes such as the DTC-100 will work as OTA receivers without even having a dish connected. I ran my DTC-100 for a month that way before I found out about being able to order HBO for $12 a mo.nth.

[I am adverse to subscriptions.]

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vruiz:
Nope, you must have the dish connected. Supposedly this will be fixed on a future software update, but there's no timetable for that.

And, in a nice little catch 22, you will need to be hooked up to a sat to recieve that update. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.