AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TV, a Mitsubishi WT-46805 16:9, is in the shop (for another week I think). While its away I'm re-wiring and making sure I get everything set up correctly (and neater!) than I did before. Anyway, without the Tv I can't judge this, so I was looking for opinions on whether a picture on a non-hdtv channel (via Dishnetwork satellite) looks better by switching to SD mode (so output through S-video) or by staying in HD mode and having the unit upconvert the signal? I'm trying to figure out how to program my remote (Pronto) and am trying to determine if I should switch modes onthe 6000 and hence changing the TV input when switching to a SD channel, or to just leave the receiver as is..

Thanks,

Frank.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
I just bought a Mits. You have no aspect controlfrom the DTV inputs. Therefore, all STV will be 4:3 centerd in the screen.

I think it is better to view the SD channels through a SD input.

SM

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Frank,

I think the definitive answer to your question is that only you can decide which is the best way for you to go considering picture quality and convenience. I keep the 6000 in HD mode for all content. Others prefer SD output for SD content.

Regarding Swampfox's comment on no aspect control for DTV inputs, this is true. However, with SD sources output as 720p/1080i from the 6000, you do have aspect control. With the next software uprade for the 6000, you'll have full aspect control for HD sources output as HD.

Jerry

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Using the Mits HDTV RPTV and a Echo* 6000 I can't get any aspect control when viewing HDTV, whether the source is true HDTV or upsampled 480i. All upsampled images are centered with 2 black stipes on either side (black not grey like in SDTV inputs). Am I doing something wrong?

Best Regards,

SM

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Swampfox,

No. You aren't doing anything wrong. When a signal is broadcast as 720p or 1080i, it is broadcast as a 16:9 frame. That frame can contain a widescreen image (1.85 or 2.35 with top & bottom bars or any other image), a 4:3 image, or any other ratio. No matter what the actual image ratio is, when broadcast as 720 or 1080, the receiver sees it as a 16:9 frame and aspect control in general doesn't work. As far as I know, this is true for every HDTV and STB. That's why you have no control over a 4:3 image when broadcast on HBO's or Showtime's HD channel or any OTA channel that broadcasts 720 or 1080. In this case, it's not the actual image that matters, but the frame. And that frame is always 16:9 with a 720p or 1080i signal.

With a 480i or 480p transmission, an actual 4:3 frame can be sent and then you have control over the aspect ratio.

Right now, the Dish 6000 has no aspect control for 720 or 1080. With the next software upgrade, you will be able to alter the aspect with a 720 or 1080 signal.

Jerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.