AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would check here before calling Dish. I have Toshiba 55HX70 4X3 and E* 6000. I got the update but have found that in aspect ratio menu, 16X9 & 4X3 #1 (for verical squeeze sets) are the same. In HD mode, I have stretch, partial zoom, full zoom, gray bar, & normal. These all make changes of aspect but do NOT eliminate black lines on top & bottom.

In SD mode, Zoom fills the entire screen - not so in HD mode.

Is this the way it should be?

I assumed that Zoom would fill the whole screen.

Toshiba owners with a 6000, please give me some feed back. I had a little trouble getting the upgrade (it may have been corrupted).

I just want to know if I have a problem before calling Dish & playing games with tech support.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll make it as easy as possible.

In HD mode on 4X3 set does new software fill the screen or are top & bottem bars still there?

YES? or NO?

·
Registered
254 Posts
Boma,

Are you operating your Toshiba with the squeeze mode on? Your 55hx70 has the ability to compress the raster to deliver the full 1080i lines of resolution on a 1080i signal. This requires you to setup the sets 1080i or 16x9 mode. If this feature is enabled you will have black bars on the top and bottom no matter what setting you are using on the 6000. Essentially, your tv becomes a 16x9 in a 4x3 frame. This black bar area is where the raster has been squeezed.

If you don't like the idea of any black bars, turn of the feature on your tv and set the 6000 to stretch. This will stretch all 4x3 programming to fill your screen and crop 16x9 programming where you screen will be filled. The downside to croping is you will not see the whole image.

------------------

STOP DFAST!!!!!

·
Registered
632 Posts
If your TV does automatic squeeze on detection of a 720p or 1080i signal, then the Dish 6000 can do nothing about it.

The new software was supposed to address 4:3 TV's that can not do the squeeze. It can then add black bars in the top and bottom of the signal (squeezing it down to 810i lines of image instead of 1080i lines).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.