Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

I am planning to get the Dish HDTV 6000u receiver (comes with the HD adapter).

Do I have to buy the optional 8VSB tuner (Dish is selling it for $149) to receive my local HDTV channels (I live in Sacramento)? Or if I just install the OTA antenna, I will receive the HDTV signals with this 6000U receiver?

If I don't have to spend another $149 to receive my local channels, I would rather not! Yes, I would like to get my local channels.

Thanks

Amar

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
You need the 8VSB module for OTA DTV. The 6000 alone will only receive sat programming.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ken.

What OTA antenna would you recommend? I checked the antennaweb.org website and for my location it recommended a 'YELLOW' range semi-directional HDTV antenna.

Which brand would you recommend? And where should I get it? And how much does it cost?

Thanks a ton!

Amar

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amarprakash

What OTA antenna would you recommend? I checked the antennaweb.org website and for my location it recommended a 'YELLOW' range semi-directional HDTV antenna.

Which brand would you recommend? And where should I get it? And how much does it cost?
amarprakash,

Try to find someone in your area that has an antenna installed and viewing OTA signals and find out the antenna being used. There may be some A/V stores in your area that could lend a hand. Also, look in the yellow pages for antenna installers in your area as they may know what works best for your location. A lot of variables involved in selecting an antenna. Distance to towers..terrain..are you urban or rural..trees and/or houses in the antenna's line of sight? I ended up using a very directional antenna with rotor and amp which were a must. It is not a real popular model but works really good for my situation. Check out the other forum "Local HDTV Info and Reception. If you need more help just throw me an e-mail. Be glad to help you out. Been there..Done that with the Local OTA HDTV thing.

Greg

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RiPeti
The "6000u" comes with the 8VSB module, you do not have to buy it seperately
Unless something has changed very recently, I do not believe this is true. The 6000 I bought a month ago came with only the 8PSK module. The 8VSB over the air module was not included. A quick check of the web sites of Dish Depot and Allsat show this to still be the case.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RiPeti
The "6000u" comes with the 8VSB module, you do not have to buy it separately
This is incorrect. The 6000 comes with the 8PSK module for enhanced HDTV channel capability, not the 8VSB module for OTA DTV.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H
This is incorrect. The 6000 comes with the 8PSK module for enhanced HDTV channel capability, not the 8VSB module for OTA DTV.
I concur

·
Registered
45,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gshisme
I concur
Gee, thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gee, you are welcome

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.