AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the answer.

What is the lamp life on the Sony 600ES before you see noticeable dimming?

I run mine on low lamp and have about 600 hours on it.

Just last night, I turned up the contrast a bit, but am not sure if it was the lamp or the content that prompted the notion that my picture was slightly dimmer.

Thanks to all for sharing your info over the years.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Just last night, I turned up the contrast a bit, but am not sure if it was the lamp or the content that prompted the notion that my picture was slightly dimmer.
Assuming it was properly calibrated to begin with, you don't want to do that, turning up the contrast doesn't make it brighter, it just crushes highlights.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Assuming it was properly calibrated to begin with, you don't want to do that, turning up the contrast doesn't make it brighter, it just crushes highlights.
Then what would you suggest?

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Either open the iris (if it's closed) or switch to high lamp mode. For digital projectors (that aren't LED/Laser) those are the only ways to control the brightness.

·
Registered
19,081 Posts
I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the answer.

What is the lamp life on the Sony 600ES before you see noticeable dimming?

I run mine on low lamp and have about 600 hours on it.

Thanks to all for sharing your info over the years.

What size screen and what screen material are you using? The larger the screen, the lower the gain material, the sooner the picture will appear dim.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What size screen and what screen material are you using? The larger the screen, the lower the gain material, the sooner the picture will appear dim.
110" vinyl tensioned retractable screen

·
Registered
19,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
1200 hours on my bulb at the moment on a 113" 1.0 gain matt white screen from 14', iris at 90, low lamp mode, and I'm still getting over 16ftl. These Sony bulbs are terrific.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
It not unusual for the lumens from a lamp to drop 15% to 25% after 500 hours of use.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Did you measure when new?
Yes. I can't quite remember the number exactly but it was something like 25-30FTL. I always advise clients not to go too large with their screen as it is always nice to have extra FTL in reserve so you can open up the iris as the bulb ages and maintain the brightness throughout the life of the bulb. In addition to my 113" 1.0 gain screen I have a pull down 2.4 Dalite High Power screen to fall back on (presently only used for 3d) when things get too dull, though I suspect I'll change the bulb before that.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 13 of 13 Posts