AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I built my house about 5 years ago, I installed the Russound CAV 6.6 system with speakers in 6 different rooms throughout the house. I tried as best as I could to ensure distance between ROMEX and speaker wire, but in some cases it's possible that wires may have ended up too close.

The issue is that I get a 60Hz hum through the system, generally after it has been on for 30-60 minutes. It isn't dramatic, but it's definitely there and annoying. I've also noticed that it is far worse when using cable as my source versus CD/BD, etc.

I have the CAV amp hooked up directly to a Monster Power system and the whole configuration is well grounded. So my question is...what can I do to get rid of the hum? Are there any filters or other devices that I should look into? I fear that I may have gotten some speaker wires too close to ROMEX and now I'm stuck...

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
You need to become an expert in ground loops, or hire one. Jensen Transformers has an in-depth white paper on their website. Not all pros would be able to fix this, find a good one if you go that route.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
It's very difficult to get enough coupling directly into a speaker wire to hear any hum since speakers have such a low impedance. Hum generally involves a ground loop in the amplifier input connections. The cable box seems to be the culprit. Does the hum go away if you disconnect the cable connections?

If so you might be able to stop the hum with a ground loop isolator circuit connected in series with the cable audio connection.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

did you get this resolved?

You did not mention if this issue started recently, or if it has been there from day one of the install.

It is very unlikely AC / romex would be causing this if it started recently.

I have been experiencing a similar issue, and it is only on one of my two cav6.6 units (I have 12 zones, only 6 of which have been experiencing this).

I've found turning the switch of on the front of the unit "resets" this and it is fine for a few minutes.

I wonder if a capacitor is going bad, etc.

Travis

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.