AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After many questions and theory here, I did it here is what I found.

MYTHS:

1) You can't have CBS HDe and CBS HDw. It's against FCC regs.

Well at least in O&O markets. It took esculation to a manager, not a supervisor to get this but they can do it. They are confused why I wanted it and insisted I can't get 61.5 on the west coast. But I insisted that's my problem isn't it.

2) The receiver won't allow 61.5 and 148 at the same time due to program guide duplications.

It works fine at least on 5000 receivers. You just get two channel entries for the duplicated channels, HBO, Showtime, HDPPV. An interesting note, both channel entries are for 61.5, not one for each like you would expect. Disconnecting 61.5 kills both. Disconnecting 148 does nothing to these channels. I didn't try reversing the feeds on the switch and re-running check switch.

3) You need access to 119 or 110 to maintain authorization.

148 and 61.5 only since 10-20faternoon and counting. I simply have these two dishes through an SW21 intl the 5000 receiver. Since I have a 501PVR for SDTV, this arrangement work fine for me. An added bonus: The receiver guide seems to have more capacity since it doesn't have Dish 500 channels to deal with.

4) DirecTV dishes won't work with E*.

Dishes and LNBs are compatable. Switches are not. Any Dish will work on either service.

FACTS:

1) If you switch between 61.5 and 148 with an A/B switch or simply swapping cables, a check switch must be run each time.

2) You can't have 4 sats on line.

The receiver can only process 3 sats. As noted above i have only 61.5 and 148 connected but I see no reason why 119 or 110 could not be added with an SW64 or an SW42 with a SW21 piggybacked. NOTE: I have a twin LNB on my Dish 500 so I can't do this. As the twin LNB combines 119 and 110 with internal SW21's, tying this into an SW64 with 61.5 and 148 would exceed the 3 sat maximum. An interesting test would be to do it and see if you can just ignore the 110. I gues that's up to the check switch software.

These are my findings. Please add your experiences. TRhe good thing is if you really want both CBD-HDe and CBS-HDw, you can get it with a few compromises.

·
Banned
3,772 Posts
>>> 1) If you switch between 61.5 and 148 with an A/B switch or simply swapping cables, a check switch must be run each time.

Not necessarily true.

If you are configged for one dish (no switch at

all) and A/B between 61.5 and 148 then it will

switch without doing a new "check switch".

You need to be tuned to a channel, and it

will show "acquiring program guide" when

the cable is switched and then the new dish

will take over.

Having 61.5 and 148 connected together with

a switch can cause some problems (actually

the "dupe channels" may be the real problem).

Sometimes the channel up/down buttons will

get stuck and not proceed to the next channel.

I think it gets confused by having two of the

same.

I ran with only 61.5 hooked up for a quite

a while, so 119/110 are definately not required.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Quote:
Having 61.5 and 148 connected together with

a switch can cause some problems (actually

the "dupe channels" may be the real problem).

Sometimes the channel up/down buttons will

get stuck and not proceed to the next channel.

I think it gets confused by having two of the

same.
If you create a favorite list & leave out the Duplicates then the up/down buttons will work.

I am using an SW64 with 119/148/61.5 (works great)

148/61.5 with either SW21 or SW42 both work.

I could not get 148/61.5 SW42 CASCADE 119 or 110 SW21 to work tho.

This was with my DISH 6000's

Kevin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.