AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, So I'm finally about to get rid of the 65" Runco RPTV, and I simply cannot fathom going to a 50" Screen...Therefore...I need some help. I have heard SO MUCH conflicting info on the 60"+ Plasma sets.

To MY eyes, the 50" Fujitsu is the best set I've seen, only TOO SMALL.

Is the 61" Fujitsu available? or is it a rumor? I've heard that was discontinued. Is this true? (Magnolia AV, in Seattle, claims to have 2 in stock). However, I don't want to buy a discontinued set, especially at the $$$$. I've SEEN the NEW Samsung HPN 6339, and it looks GREAT; however, the smaller Samsungs (in MY opinion) aren't as good as the smaller Fujitsu's. I've ALSO heard that the NEC 61MP1, which IS available, is the EXACT same set as the Fujitsu PDS-6101. However, I've never seen the NEC, so I'm wary.

Additionally, I've heard they most manufacturers have had lots of problems with the sets larger then 50". So, before I take this most expensive plunge.. any help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

This has more then likely been covered here, but I cannot locate the thread....

THANKS in advance!:confused:

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The 61" Fujitsu hasn't been made in awhile. A few are still around.

The only choice worth buying right now is the 6339, IMHO. Especially because it can be had as low as 75% of MSRP.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I don't believe that model is available either.

·
Registered
388 Posts
If can wait, the Fujitsu 63" will be available in late

Jan 2004.

Jim

·
Registered
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jjtoma
If can wait, the Fujitsu 63" will be available in late

Jan 2004.
If you can wait even longer, the Samsung 70" might be available sometime May 2004. :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and more $$$$....Thanks all for the input; looks like I'll be waitin' for the 63" Fujitsu, or plunging on the 6339 now...still undecided

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I have the 6339 and can tell you without a doubt not to wait if you want one now. It is awesome. Search on my user name and fine about 6 threads where I talk about it. Riht now I am watching the F1 race from my ReplayTV recorded at HQ sent via S-Video to the 6339 and it is great. Not HD, but certainly watchable.

HD is a different story altogether. I watch HD from about 8 or 9 feet and it is incomprehensible. Its that good.

If you find yourself in DC let me know - you're welcome to come check it out. I'll have DirectTV and HDOTA later this week connected via DVI, so it should be sweet.

E. J.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Your friend Sam Runco has a 61" plasma , which costs more than my car.

I have seen the 60" Zenith in person and was impressed with it. Looked as good as my 503CMX.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks Joel. I called an e-tailer who was selling them both. The guy put me on hold and came back and told me that the ppm "had a faroujda chip" in it. that helped! I'm now going to have to wait and see about the fuji 63 because I'd die if I spent all that and found out the fuji was only a few k more, and way better.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I am pretty sure the commercial has no HDCP.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
I can tell you that my 63 has a Faroujda chip in it.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I actually think both the HPN 6339 and the PPM versions have Faroudja's chip in them... ejfiii, doesn't yours (the 6339) have the F chip too?

Cheers

·
Registered
104 Posts
Rogo, on Samsung's website they don't show the consumer 6339 as having HDCP either. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if the Denon 5900 dvi output gets activated like the Marantz's (i.e., it will only work with hdcp displays), does that mean I can't run the two together? Thanks.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
I would stay away from the commercial unit, it looks like last years models, visually.

At this point wait a little for the XBR, or alittle more for the Faroudja 63".

If I could put most of my business "On hold" , based on principle, awaiting for these events, you will not be foolish to wait for at least the SONY.

I will not get caught selling any other plasma but these two big boys.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
I actually think both the HPN 6339 and the PPM versions have Faroudja's chip in them... ejfiii, doesn't yours (the 6339) have the F chip too?

Cheers
Yes. And the dvi is hdcp too. I will have the T160 HD/OTA receiver hooked up to it via DVI on Thursday.

Cinermax, don't you mean the Fujitsu 63 and not the Faroudja? ;)

E. J.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to ALL for the valuable input and opinions. I had a chance to see a properly set-up 63" HPN-6339 last night. I watched HDTV via Antenna (Monday night Football, OTA), Gladiator DVD, via Component, and regular DirecTV, via the NEW SONY HDTV receiver.

After an hour, I have to say, the set did NOT knock my socks off. I can purchase a brand new one for under $14K, however I'm going to pass.

I am not familiar with the new Sonys (talked about earlier in the tread), but TO MY EYES, IMHO...the Fujitsu sets, in the smaller sizes, (compared to smaller size Samsung, etc.) always looked the very best. So, it's wait for the Fujitsu 63", or wait for the Toshiba 3-Chip 65" Lcos set...That's what it comes down to for me. Leaning towards to LCOS, RPTV - that, to me, is the best thing going right now.

Again, just my own opinion, based on what MY eyes like....;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.