AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my Comcast HD channels look terrible with my 6208. I've checked and I have the latest firmware version. I have a brand new Mit 42313. The installer used component cables and did not use my DVI port. Some days the channels look perfect and other days they are unwatchable. The picture looks very pixilated and locks up quite often. Is this a problem with my 6208 or could it be with my setup?

Gombo

·
Registered
13,531 Posts
Are you using any splitters at your home? If so, remove them and see if it makes any difference. If you have an inadequate signal to the box, pixelization, picture dropouts, and STB lockups will result.

If you aren't using a splitter, you can try requesting a cable amplifier from Comcast, or you can go to Radio Shack and buy their $30 two-way digital cable amplifier.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The system was installed by Comcast with no splitters being used. If this is an isolated problem I'll call Comcast to get another box installed. I thought others had the same problem when the 6208 first came out. I wonder if Comcast can give me a credit for a few months of watching crap HD content.

Gombo

·
Registered
556 Posts
You can try to look at your signal quality for fun:
  • Tune to the problem channel
  • Power STB down
  • QUICKLY hit Select/OK key
  • Navigate around to Inband Channel Status (something like that)
  • You will be able to see SNR which will update every couple seconds. Should be 'Good,' 33dB or higher
  • You will also see Error Count. Mine seems to work OK even though some HD channels have 1000+ ! Zero would be best, obviously.

You can goof around with your splitters, wiring, hairstyle etc. and watch these values to see what happens. Or, of course, you can call your cable company and get them to do their job and fix this. At least you'll have an idea where the problem is.

On my DCT6208, I don't mind the once an hour dropout, presumably due to errors. It's the quality of the analogs that I don't like when I want to use the DVR functions. (The graininess due to MPEG conversion.) I hope they can fix this with firmware and that we don't have to wait for anaother generation of hardware.

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gomboman
... Some days the channels look perfect and other days they are unwatchable. The picture looks very pixilated and locks up quite often...
Most likely intermittent noisy cable and/or incorrect signal strengths.

Call comscat and make them fix the service you're paying for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.