AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Most recent stuff I've heard is sometime in the fall. In some recent podcast, a MS guy was asked about the 65 nm processor. He gave the line that they are always looking to cost reduce and shrinking the processor is something that can be done. Of course, that is all he would say.

As others have said, it is something that won't be announced. It will just show up someday, hopefully in a box that is distinguishable. I have a guy on my friend list that just got a new 360 at Gamestop. He said the build date was 2005.

·
Banned
1,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b11051973 /forum/post/0

Most recent stuff I've heard is sometime in the fall. In some recent podcast, a MS guy was asked about the 65 nm processor. He gave the line that they are always looking to cost reduce and shrinking the processor is something that can be done. Of course, that is all he would say.

As others have said, it is something that won't be announced. It will just show up someday, hopefully in a box that is distinguishable. I have a guy on my friend list that just got a new 360 at Gamestop. He said the build date was 2005.

Seriously 2005? Wow, I didnt even know that was possible. If that is true I guess there is no limitation for how long it can sit on shelves.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpe8598 /forum/post/0

Seriously 2005? Wow, I didnt even know that was possible. If that is true I guess there is no limitation for how long it can sit on shelves.

or in warehouses....

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingFd /forum/post/0

Anyone want to give me a quick one sentence reply on what the deal is with this 65 chipset? Heard it mentioned, but no idea what the fuss is about.

cooler running systems

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
dont expect MS to officially announce its arrival as then you'd have people comlaing and trying to trade in even more systems to fubar their sales numbers...

will def be shipping for the holidays though

·
Registered
1,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillhouse17 /forum/post/0

I suggest that you open up your 360 and shave your chip down to 65nm.

Or, if you don't want to void your warranty by opening the case, you can wash your 360 in warm water on the gentle cycle and tumble dry on low to shrink the chip to 65nm.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I wish they would bring it out soon, I've been waiting to replace my current 360 with a newer 120GB model, but refuse to buy until they shrink the die size.

Sorry MS, but selling me a toaster oven in black with HDMI isn't going to make me double dip.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 /forum/post/0

There's a small but vocal contingent of people who make a big deal out of it. They generally don't have a clue.

Spoken by someone who's never had their 360 overheat. Visual artifacts, glitches, crashes, loud fans, and of course the 3 rings of death ... that's what the current chipset means. I'm on my 4th 360 and I'm beyond sick of dealing with the poor design of the 360.

Every current Xbox360 is a version 0.9 machine. When the 65nm version arrives we'll finally have Xbox360 1.0. Hopefully with Benq drives.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Yes, and it certainly was the CPU, wasn't it? It wasn't anything to do with inadequate measures on the memory--oh no.

I've got a launch 360 that is fine. Perhaps you're doing something wrong.

·
Registered
449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150 /forum/post/0

Yes, and it certainly was the CPU, wasn't it? It wasn't anything to do with inadequate measures on the memory--oh no.

I've got a launch 360 that is fine. Perhaps you're doing something wrong.

I've got a launch 360 that is still working also, but not without me having to dissasemble it and apply some quality thermal paste. The thermal paste that MS is using in these machines is terrible and very unreliable for long term use. Something so small could have saved millions of dollars in repair cost and yet they overlooked it and probably still are today. I love my 360 but it really is quite a heater. The 65nm die shrink is LONG overdue.

·
Registered
877 Posts
What people don't get is that the problem, from what I've read by those in the know, isn't the CPU.

I think it's great if people want to buy a reduced-cost (not price) 360, but believing that it will be more reliable is a bit silly.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.