AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at BB last night, and saw the V10 65 inch Plasma. Unfortunately they were running cable TV through it, so it did not blow me away. Is anyone else having a hard time deciding between a S or V 65 inch? Or, has anyone kicked them self for not waiting on the 65 inch (and paying an extra 1k or so)? I'm really torn, and not sure if I should get a smaller one, and invest in a new surround sound.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
I can;t help too much with the differencebetween the V or S, though there does not seem to be that much price difference, but about 18 months ago, we bought a Panny 58pz750u instead of a 65. Back then (not that it is that long ago LOL) there was a positively huge price premium between the two, something like $2500 IIRC.

I sit maybe 11 feet from the 58 and while it could be bigger, I am very happy with the 5e. It is a sweet set and the newer ones even better from what I've seen. My wife (who's idea it was to junk our old RPTV CRT HDTV and get the plasma in the first place, so she was not against it by any stretch) was afraid the 65 would be way too big for the wall it was on so I did not push on the 65 as I was kind of back and forth anyway. Having the price difference closer to $1000 would have made the decision harder, but we have been happy with our 58 incher.

·
Registered
318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc571 /forum/post/17027383

I was at BB last night, and saw the V10 65 inch Plasma. Unfortunately they were running cable TV through it, so it did not blow me away. Is anyone else having a hard time deciding between a S or V 65 inch? Or, has anyone kicked them self for not waiting on the 65 inch (and paying an extra 1k or so)? I'm really torn, and not sure if I should get a smaller one, and invest in a new surround sound.

Did not know the 65 inch v10's were released yet. You are talking about the Panasonic 65 incher? I did hear that some on line dealers had it on pre-order but my general thinking was that if anything BB never got anything first. Usually they get it very late. Not only that I was recently in my BB and they told me that they were not going to carry any 65 inchers and that I would have to go to a Magnolia.

·
Registered
237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo /forum/post/17028511

Did not know the 65 inch v10's were released yet. You are talking about the Panasonic 65 incher? I did hear that some on line dealers had it on pre-order but my general thinking was that if anything BB never got anything first. Usually they get it very late. Not only that I was recently in my BB and they told me that they were not going to carry any 65 inchers and that I would have to go to a Magnolia.

i was just in my bb, and guess they got a few of the 65's in, the guy said he already sold one.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc571 /forum/post/17027846

I'm about 15 to 20 feet away. I have an old Yamaha HTIB for my surround. Speakers are still good. So I may just have to find an HDMI receiver.

KC ok if you sit that far away and the 65" is in your budget,I would wait and go with the 65".

As far as the surround,what are you trying to improve? It sounds like you like the sound of the speakers you have now? If you just want the AVR to run everything with HDMI, I would suggest an AVR in the $300-400 range. Their are some nice AVR's in that price range. If you go with the PS3,then the HDMI will give you the new audio codecs but I'm not sure it will make a huge difference with the HTIB speakers.

If your not real picky about your picture you might want to just go with the S series but then again the better(V) series TV starts to come into play with the larger screen.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thx...i think i can get away with buying a new receiver. Just need to find one with the right amount of inputs. I've been happy with my Yamaha. Can you recommend any Yamahas?

·
Banned
2,435 Posts
His question should not be about going with a different size, but rather should he choose the S1 or the V10 in the 65 inch size. From 15 to 20 feet he definitely does not want to go smaller than 65. The next logical question would be to ask him what he thinks of THX mode, since the V has it and the S does not, and does he plan on having the set pro calibrated or not? What are the lighting conditions the majority of the time he will be viewing? Dim, moderate, bright, or very bright? The limited light output of THX mode might not be very useful to him if he will be watching in a brightly lit room most of the time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can confirmed that the one near my place has the 65v10 on display. It set up to sit in between the pioneer elite 60" and the samsung 58". At first i didn't notice much different when they were running HD channel but I asked them to plug in the blue ray disc and oh my god, it's stunning. I had ordered one and waiting for the delivery which is a few days away. I'll post pictures up by then. BTW, i'm sitting 8.5 feet away on my current 50".

·
Registered
50 Posts
I saw one Saturday (8/15) at the Magnolia inside of Best Buy. Looked good, but they had a number of the Panasonic V Series in one corner showing a high def vintage car show. The red on the corvette was overwhelming, seeing it on all those screens at the same time in a relatively dark room

Guy came up and asked what kind of price he could get if he bought 2 (V65s). Sales person told him they only had that set in for a week and it was too early to make any deals.

Chris

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
The main performance benefits of the V10 over the S1 are THX Mode, 24p playback and additional user-menu adjustments. Only you can decide if those features are worth it or not. Generally, THX Mode is frowned upon, and if you ever do decide to get your set calibrated, the additional user-menu adjustments on the V10 become a moot point. To me, only 24p playback is something I'd be interested in. Having said that, I'll be sitting ~8' away from my 58S1, so judder from 3:2 playback will be very hard to notice when my vision is filled with guns, explosions, boobs, etc.

·
Banned
2,435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc571 /forum/post/17034901

Thx Docu...the set will be in my basement. Viewing will be in dark conditions or dim lights. I will "probably" not get it calibrated.

Hmm...if no plans to have it calibrated, and it will be used in dim conditions, then I'm thinking the THX mode and the V10 might suit you. You really need to go see one demoed in a dim room in THX mode and see if it is for you.

·
Registered
999 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc571 /forum/post/17030955

thx...i think i can get away with buying a new receiver. Just need to find one with the right amount of inputs. I've been happy with my Yamaha. Can you recommend any Yamahas?

You might look at the 663, if you find one I bet you can get a good deal on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_do33 /forum/post/17035457

I can confirmed that the one near my place has the 65v10 on display. It set up to sit in between the pioneer elite 60" and the samsung 58". At first i didn't notice much different when they were running HD channel but I asked them to plug in the blue ray disc and oh my god, it's stunning. I had ordered one and waiting for the delivery which is a few days away. I'll post pictures up by then. BTW, i'm sitting 8.5 feet away on my current 50".

I was able to look at the 54"V10 side by side to a Kuro 151 and I will say the V10 looked pretty good. It was not the 151 but it was about the best I have seen compared to the 151. We were going to wait for the the 58" version but they made me an offer on the 151 that was going to be just about $200 or so above the V10.

That was a no brainer to us. The V series is pretty good but I'm sorry,it's still not in the same boat as the 151.

Needless to say we went with the Kuro and no regrets at all!

·
Registered
2,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_do33 /forum/post/17035457

I can confirmed that the one near my place has the 65v10 on display. I had ordered one and waiting for the delivery which is a few days away. I'll post pictures up by then. BTW, i'm sitting 8.5 feet away on my current 50".

65" at 8.5ft? now we're talking. the guy who's sitting from 15-20 ft needs the mits 82".

1 - 16 of 16 Posts