AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

A friend of mine is interesting in a 65" Sony 900F. Best Buy currently has the set for $1599+tax. I suggested that my friend try Greentoe based on some comments I have seen on here. He received an offer of $1399 with no tax/shipping. He does not typically shop online, so he is a tad nervous.

What are peoples' experiences with Greentoe? Any negatives? Is there anything he should be aware of in considering going the Greentoe route?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi All,

A friend of mine is interesting in a 65" Sony 900F. Best Buy currently has the set for $1599+tax. I suggested that my friend try Greentoe based on some comments I have seen on here. He received an offer of $1399 with no tax/shipping. He does not typically shop online, so he is a tad nervous.

What are peoples' experiences with Greentoe? Any negatives? Is there anything he should be aware of in considering going the Greentoe route?
They seem to have good reviews. They claim to sell from authorized dealer and also claim that you will get a receipt from authorized dealer once the offer is accepted.
There was one review on this forum where someone said that they said that they couldn’t confirm his identify or needed more details ? Of course that person was very upset. Other than that I have not read anything negative yet. You may want to keep email communication with them so you have record of all the info and always use credit card if they don’t accept returns / whatever undesirable situation that may arise. Now whether ~$300 saving is worth that stress ( for some it’s stressful) that’s very subjective. For me, if I am getting better than $500 difference that’s when I will purchase from them.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi All,

The Tcl's will be coming out soon why don't you wait as they revamped the 6 series,

·
Registered
492 Posts
The Tcl's will be coming out soon why don't you wait as they revamped the 6 series,

I thought I read no change to the series other than adding the 75"...

·
Registered
199 Posts
I love my Sony 900E but if I could have I would have gone with the TCL. That was a year ago. The only thing I see that I missed out on was the Dolby Vision but in an imperfect world I love my Sony. I could not see either the TCl or the Sony and had to rely on here and other reviews to make my choice. Crutchfield's made it possible for me to get a 55" shipped to Kauai. They are GREAT.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All,

He is pretty set on the Sony (and it looks like Sony in general gets better reviews).

He received an additional counter offer for $1299. Anyone have any additional thoughts on Greentoe?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have not purchased anything from there but i was looking at purchasing the 55 inch 900f. If he does purchase from there let me know how it goes.
I have seen many good reviews though.

I might buy from there too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Am I missing something or is that the same model that's currently on sale?
Its the same model. However, TCL did say they are making some changes with the 6 series later in the year. I think the big thing was that they are going to implement quantum dot technology, which is not currently used in the 6 series. TCL, Samsung, and Hisense have partnered up to make the QLED alliance lol.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/samsung-hisense-tcl-qled-alliance-announcement/

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm wrestling with whether I should pick up the 65" X900F with this deal or wait longer to see what's announced for the X900G and whether there are more closeout deals then.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I keep holding out for the price to drop at Best Buy, so I can jump on an open box at a lower price. (We have an Outlet store, so the prices go even lower there.)

I just cannot bring myself to deal with the hassle/hazard of having a large TV delivered by FedEx, which I believe is how you receive it from the Greentoe deal. Who knows how PCmag Shop has theirs delivered, but I found online reviews for their store which were terrible.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I keep holding out for the price to drop at Best Buy, so I can jump on an open box at a lower price. (We have an Outlet store, so the prices go even lower there.)

I just cannot bring myself to deal with the hassle/hazard of having a large TV delivered by FedEx, which I believe is how you receive it from the Greentoe deal. Who knows how PCmag Shop has theirs delivered, but I found online reviews for their store which were terrible.
I found one open box in a local store for 75x900F for $1700. It said inside had shadowing. So I passed.

·
Registered
736 Posts
To each his own and there will always be a sizeable amount of folks who will not shop anything of size online. Personally over the years I have bought 7 TV's online or on the phone, Breakdown was 2 Sammys, 2 LG's, one Sony and one Vizio. Maybe I've been lucky but never had an issue with any set, other that a warranty visit on the Samsung after 14 months or so(was a known issue with capacitors).
The ones I've got without issue

• 52" Samsung / Amazon 2013
  • 65" Vizio / Amazon 2015
  • 32" LG / Newegg 2015
  • 75" Samsung JU7100 / Samsung Dec 2016
  • 75" Sony 900F / CP May 2018 (box was damaged quite a bit, but TV was fine. driver helped unbox, put stand on and power up)
  • 77" LG C8 / CP Aug 2019 (box was perfect so I didn't even unbox at delivery because I wanted help and to take time, was fine)
My experience and what I've heard is 65" and smaller is usually delivered by FedEx where larger sets come by way of real freight companies.

These large companies figure shipping as part of their overhead and usually try to make returns easy. Amazon will even send someone to get the TV if you lose the box for whatever reason. Both sets I bought this year were bought through Chris at Cleveland Plasma(great guy), but they were shipped direct from Beach Camera with full warranty.

I know of at least 5 friends who have purchased online within last 12 months. One got a TCL and returned it but the rest were all happy.

Mostly the only feedback you will read about is the very few that have a problem. There are bad panels and shipping damage does happen. Chris told me that total returns were well less than 5% and probably closer to 3% including shipping damage, defects and buyer remorse.

I bought a 55X900E open box at Best Buy right after xmas '17 and it was a great deal I stumbled upon, but most always you can save 20% or more with e-tailors. But hey, I'm a gambler and haven't bought extended warranty since I bought a plasma at Costco around 2006. Best of luck, if you keep eyes out you will find the deal you want...just be patient

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
I ordered the 65" last week thru PCMag and it's being delivered Thursday.

Fingers crossed.

Bob

Never had any exp with PCMag, so really interested to see how it works out. Have read decent reviews on TV sales

·
Registered
101 Posts
Never had any exp with PCMag, so really interested to see how it works out. Have read decent reviews on TV sales
Received the TV yesterday. It came double-boxed with spacers on the corners of the inner box containing the TV.
The inner box was dirty on top. But, the TV itself was in great shape and is operating perfectly.

I would definitely buy from PCMag again. I received the TV less than a week after ordering it.

Bob

1 - 20 of 47 Posts