AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, going big. Testosterone says VT, but just read a head to head in a popular mag saying there isn't a huge difference in performance between ST and VT. I work at a major retailer so I've got a bit of a cost advantage. So now I'm wondering if the difference is worth it, or maybe if $500 at this point isn't worth worrying about and just to go VT. Sold myself of on the value of the ST, but the more I think about it VT seems to be the choice. Not impressed with what I read about the GT. Could have been a bad test unit, but it's down to VT or ST.

Probably just go with the VT and run with it?

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMBen /forum/post/20964665

OK, going big. Testosterone says VT, but just read a head to head in a popular mag saying there isn't a huge difference in performance between ST and VT. I work at a major retailer so I've got a bit of a cost advantage. So now I'm wondering if the difference is worth it, or maybe if $500 at this point isn't worth worrying about and just to go VT. Sold myself of on the value of the ST, but the more I think about it VT seems to be the choice. Not impressed with what I read about the GT. Could have been a bad test unit, but it's down to VT or ST.

Probably just go with the VT and run with it?

For $500, if you can afford it, hell yes. You'll always be wondering what you could have had if not. For $1000 or more in price difference, the decision becomes more difficult (I paid about $1000 more for my 65" VT than I could have purchased a 65" ST for at the time but wouldn't have spent much more).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have recently purchased the Sharp 70" and am a little disappointed in i am considering switching to the 65VT. What does everyone think?

·
Registered
46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJC2010 /forum/post/20967827

I have recently purchased the Sharp 70" and am a little disappointed in i am considering switching to the 65VT. What does everyone think?

I've a Sharp 46" in our family room and a 32" Sharp LCD in the guest room. Love them both but Sharp will not deliver the big pop that you'll get from the VT.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The vt blows the st out of the water, there is no comparison if you aren't looking at the cost difference especially if it's only $500. The VT30 is a superior TV in every aspect and in the long run you'll regret not just forking over the extra $500. I have an ST in the bedroom and a VT in the theater, the ST isn't bad but nowhere near the VT.

·
Registered
274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar04 /forum/post/20968284

The vt blows the st out of the water, there is no comparison if you aren't looking at the cost difference especially if it's only $500. The VT30 is a superior TV in every aspect and in the long run you'll regret not just forking over the extra $500. I have an ST in the bedroom and a VT in the theater, the ST isn't bad but nowhere near the VT.

Could you share the primary ways the ST lacks? You've got me tempted to trade up to a VT!

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I have a 42ST30 that with a few tweaks right out of the box has looked amazing since I got it. You could always spend $300 instead of the $500 on an ISF calibration to make sure the display is set up perfectly for the environment it will be in and rest easy every night knowing your grey scale is spot on (the single most important thing that needs to be right on a display) and you are getting the best PQ on three inputs possible. I had the 65PZ850U in my HT calibrated two years ago and the PQ has looked an remained perfect. That being said, the ST30 has looked so good in my living room with those minor tweaks that for the first time I won't be getting a display I've bought calibrated. I'm that happy with it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone. I did end up with the 65VT30, figured for "only" $500 more I couldn't hate myself too much for it (but I bet the wife would disagree!).

I also have the 42ST in the family room, but only a month or so old so haven't tweaked it at all yet. Probably soon.

But I did sign up for the calibration for the VT already, should come in this weekend and if I can't pick it up it's schedule to be delivered next Tuesday. Am already a bit giddy....

Now I'm going to be kicking myself for not starting work on my "real" theater yet. Going to start the basement shuffle, but will do everything I can to use, and protect, it during construction.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Now that the decision has been made, what features caused you to go with the higher end model?

I read the recent review mag article that pretty much said the pq of the two units was more or less the same.

Working for a retailer, did you see a difference in pq between the models, or, were there other features that swayed your opinion?

·
Registered
53 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar04 /forum/post/20968284

I'm not saying that you are wrong, but can you please tell me what about the VT "blows the st out of the water"?

I am an ST owner and I think the picture is superb and cannot imaging any set blowing it "out of the water".

Again, I am not saying you are wrong, but I would just like to know what exactly I'd be getting if I returned my ST30 in favor of the VT. Please let me know because I've only got 3 days left to return if that's what I decided to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts