AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really must be having bad luck with my new HDTV setup, bad signals, bad OTA, bad components... arggghh!

Anyway, I went ahead and purchased the 659 because it got such rave reviews. I spent about an hour trying to get it to do what I wanted (though still doesn't work exactly right with selecting the right input on my plasma) - not as user friendly as I was led to believe. Then I find that it goes through a set of batteries a night!?! Three sets in three nights...What gives? I see nowhere where it says to "power off" the remote or whatever. Last night after hitting the power off and making sure all my components were off, I looked at the remote and it just had the Harmony name and logo...no back light was on. So I thought, "okay, should be fine." Well, this morning it was dead...after a completely fresh set of batteries last night. Keep in mind too I did no downloading from the website to update the remote so it was only used as a remote for about three hours during the game yesterday.

The HDTV Gods are angry with me.... :(

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
You definitely have a bum remote (or bad luck with batteries:). I have a 659 (for two months now), and I've only swapped out the batteries once. And I do a TON of tweaking with it. You should check with Harmony and get a new unit.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I've had mine a little over a month and haven't replaced batteries yet... Sounds like a bum unit.

Sorny

·
Registered
716 Posts
akelley

have you programmed the harmony w/ your plasma? (I recall your tag from the dell plasma thread.) I'm still waiting for my dell, in the next few weeks if i'm lucky... I will be controlling my system w/ a 768.

I will use a DirecTivo w/ my 6UY and my wife tends to pause it a lot and take a break w/ the baby. I was planning on creating a "macro" with the screen saver function on the 6UY when the PAUSE button was pressed. Was wondering if you thought about something like that?

Other thing I haven't figured out is how to unPAUSE and stop the screen saver, since both the PAUSE and PLAY buttons can restart the video playback.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey oldskoolboarder. Yeah, the Harmony has the codes for the 6UY, but I'm still having problems with the remote to switch to the correct input when going between activities. The remote remembers the state of all your devices so it's supposed to be able to switch correctly. However, mine does not. I've tried everything and it doesn't work. Even after "correcting" it, it still is always one input off. I even edited the inputs of the plasma in the remote's software to make it think that it had one extra input (seeing that it was always off by one) and trying it by removing one of the inputs, but still, no dice.

And to add insult to my HDTV injuries, it ate through three sets of batteries. So it sits on my coffee table, dead. Not feeding it anymore batteries.

So since my remote is pretty much out of service, I haven't been able to do what you suggested with the TiVo pausing and the plasma screen saver (which are excellent ideas).

I emailed Harmony customer service last night, received the automated response, but have yet to receive any real response. I'm really not happy with this remote so far (and customer support), and honestly, am quite puzzled because it has gotten such great reviews on this board. I really must be jinxed or something...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Suggestion for your input being off by one. Try playing w/ the delays. I tried to optimize my system by decreasing much of the delays and everything seemed to get screwed up. Inputs would change but not consistently. I have my 768 set to change my surround modes and sometimes it wouldn't complete all the changes. I increased the delays and voila, success. Makes a big difference.

Regarding the batteries, that's very odd. Seems like a bad remote.

I have been VERY happy w/ their customer service. On several occasions I asked about some configuration issues I had. I also got the auto reply, but w/in a day, I got a full response. In some cases, they even changed my config for me so all I had to do was download. I've also called them before and they helped me on the phone.

I should also note that I bought mine on ebay for a VERY discounted price. I had the dreaded LCD problem. It's been reported that Harmony will not honor warranties if purchased from non-authorized sources. As a matter of fact, they answered every question I had w/o worry about the warranty. And with the LCD, I sent it back and it only cost $30 to fix. Even w/ the cost of the fix and my original price, I still paid a lot less than the lowest online price.

·
Registered
182 Posts
akelley, I had the same problem dealing with inputs for my Pioneer plasma. I correctly told the 659 that I toggle through the inputs until I get to the right one and had them in the right order but it never got it right.

I contacted Harmony and they told me to use discrete codes instead which were already there for the device, i.e., Input1, Input2, etc. Works perfectly now.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I tried the discrete codes but those didn't work at all. I also remember seeing discrete codes for Video1, Video2, Video3, etc. and tried those, and those didn't work either. Since I haven't had use of my Harmony remote for the past three days, I haven't been able to test anything.

I emailed customer support again but still haven't heard from them. This is really bothering me... I just may send it back without even bothering with Customer Support anymore. Hopefully I'll have better luck with a different brand like the Home Theater Master.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was having problems with the plasma selecting correct input upon powerup, until I moved the power-on delay to 8 seconds. My P50 ignores commands for at least 7 to 7.5 seconds after a power on command.

·
Registered
219 Posts
What type of batteries are you using? My wife kept buying batteries at the dollar store (Panasonic brand I think) and they would die VERY quickly - no telling how old they actually were by the time they got to that store. After going through all the batteries in short order, she finally saw the light and now only buys Duracel or Energizer. I doubt this is your problem but thought it was worth mentioning just in case.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
saberry, the first set was the set that came with the remote - understandably, they're usually poor quality batteries (but one would think with the cost of this remote, they would throw in at least half decent). The second set was Energizer, and the third set was Duracel - both sets brand new. That's like $7 worth of batteries in two days.

And I still haven't heard a peep from Harmony customer service. I realize I could just call their toll free number, but quite frankly, I don't have the time to be put on hold for 20 minutes and then only be told I should exchange the unit. Just wish they would respond to their emails! They can tell me to exchange the unit just fine in email.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
As I just stated in another thread, Harmony's hold times have improved dramatically in the past couple weeks. What once was a minimum 30 minute hold has now been reduced to 5-10 minutes (usually less).

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I finally got an email response (after 3.5 days) and they pretty much told me to do exactly what I've already tried. I've tried all the discrete input codes and none work. Surely, I must not be the only 659 user out there that is using this with a Panasonic TH-42PHD6UY plasma?!?!

Now I'm playing with the timing delays, but I don't think that's the problem because the plasma does cycle through the inputs, it's just that the darn remote won't stop on the right one!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.