AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to buy a 65H80. I will primarily be using this to watch DirecTV sports programming. I have not found a local store that can demonstrate to me the strecth modes (used to eliminate gray bars) to see how distorted the picture gets. Can anyone tell me how bad/good the picture looks with the strecth modes? Also should I not buy a 16:9 and buy a 4:3 instead (given that I will be viewing TV most of the time)

Thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
I've had my 65H80 for a few months now. I with Theaterwide 1 and it works for me. Yes it does distort it a bit but it is very watchable for me. You need to take a look and see for yourself. My salesperson didn't even know how to switch between Theaterwide 1,2, and 3 I had to teach him, go figure.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
730 Posts
Find a store with a 40H80 56H80 or 65H80 and then grab the remote and hit the "pic size" button. FULL mode is for anamorphic DVDs, NORMAL is gray bar enclosed 4:3, and THEATRE-WIDE is a non linear stretch mode. Be sure it is on Theatre-wide 1.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Theaterwide 2 is a zoom mode. It is essential for watching double letterboxed shows by expanding them to fill the entire screen perfectly. Since I prefer to not have my shows streached I use normal mode for 4x3 shows and use theaterwide 2 for 4x3 shows that have widescreen letterbox.

Rick

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have an older Toshiba 40x81 but the stretch modes haven't changed. I agonized over getting a 4:3 or 16:9 set. GO with the 16:9 you'll not regret it. The TW1 mode does a great job of filling the screen, there is a little distortion but not much. Initially you may notice it, like when you are in the store but after watching a few hours of TV you won't notice a difference.

You may want to go to the Toshiba web site and download the owners manual. They provide a sketch showing what the three TW stretch modes do.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I have the TW65X81 which is the predecessor to the 65H80 so it is possibly different. However I am looking at the users manual and TW1 is streached more at the edges than the center. TW2 is zoomed retaining its true aspect. TW3 is uniformly streached. Full mode only streaches horizontal.

When I have double letterboxed 16x9 TW2 exactly fills the screen with no cropping and no distortion.

Rick

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick_R:
Theaterwide 2 is a zoom mode. It is essential for watching double letterboxed shows by expanding them to fill the entire screen perfectly. Since I prefer to not have my shows streached I use normal mode for 4x3 shows and use theaterwide 2 for 4x3 shows that have widescreen letterbox.
Do you mean TW3? I use TW2 for nonanamorphic letterboxed (top & bottom only) DVDs. It's kinda neat because you scroll the image up to see subtitles.

TW3 is for the double-letterbox (both top/bottom and side/side). It is a real "zoom."

·
Registered
609 Posts
I am not a big fan of distorted people so I watch 4x3 either in normal or in TW 2 with the image scrolled down as much as possible. This way it cuts off feet not heads. I would watch only in normal but I use both to prevent burn in. The second method often gets rid of the logos as well.

------------------

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the response guys -- any of you watch football games on stretch mode (I was told the yardage lines look terrible ) Is that correct?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Satch,

As a huge sports fan, I can relate to your inquiry. Distorting sports images is not acceptable to me at all, especially for football. The players look like they've been put out to pasture and could use running a few extra stadiums to lose the extra weight. It looks comical actually.

With the Toshiba 65H80 (my set), I can only do three things to watch without distortion:

First, there's the normal mode, which gives you the gray bars on the side. This reduces your screen down into the 50" range or so.

Second, there's the theater wide mode. Options 1 & 3 distort your picture. Option 2 magnifies your picture to fit the sides correctly, but crops the top and bottom. Fine for watching, but the scores that are broadcast on the ticker symbol at the bottom, or on the top corner are sacrificed.

Third, get into HD signals. It will solve your problem by not only, filling your screen as it should (HD signals are broadcast for 16:9), it's picture is miraculously clear.

As far as choosing between 16:9 and 4:3 televisions, I would go for the 16:9 because it has more positive applications than just for sports. It is outstanding to watch movies with, and, it is my belief that HD will become the mainstream, making 4:3's the oddball sets.

The above information is what I have determined based on my experiences, and is simply my opinion.

Hope it helps,

Nick Dickson

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.