Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering about 65H80?

To all the owners out there if some light could be shed

on the picture quality/performance/reliability/price e.t.c.

Especially if somebody is using the scaler/doubler with it.

Response will be appreciated.

thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I just bought a Toshiba 65H80. I'm having it ISF'd next week, but even without that it's a great TV. I replaced my first generation Mitsubishi 65" with it, and it's MUCH better. You really don't need a scaler. The line doubler is excellent.

I'm very happy with it, and take note that when Toshiba starting enabling a 2:3 pulldown in these sets mid-year, they authorized an upgrade for people who had purchsed their sets without the 2:3 pulldown. Contrast this with Mitsubishi, who basically said "tough" to their first generation HD buyers when component DVD players and early HD boxes were only able to output in component. I hate Mitsubishi, and my dealer, as a result.

If my personal endorsement isn't enough, take a look at the new HDTV Buyer's Guide at The Perfect Vision. ( www.theperfectvision.com )

Doug

·
Registered
136 Posts
Imaging Science Foundation

Basically, a group that certifies Techs to work on your TV and kind of tune it up so that you get the best image quality out of it.

By the way, I paid $2,799 including a 5 year warranty for my TV from a brick and mortar retailer. You should be able to get one for that or less.

You may want to wait for the new Toshiba models. I opted not to, for a variety of reasons. But again, I'm ver happy with my new TV.

Doug

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I went to comsumerreview.com and when I read all the reviews I decided to go with the Toshiba. I purchased the same one you are looking at. I noticed that the Toshiba scored real well with the comsumer. I think it was 2nd among all the reviews. The Pioneer came in first but I was not going to pay 3k more for a TV. I much rather listen to people who own the TV then some salesman trying to make a buck any way he can. I got my TV for $2399 and a 4 year warrenty for $300 more. I got mine at Crazyeddie.com. Call them and try to get the best price, they will haggle with you. Good luck.

------------------

Juan Ruiz

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Doug McCoy,

Let me know how much difference it makes after you have your TV ISF, and if you could tall me the cost to I would appreciated. Thanks.

------------------

Juan Ruiz

·
Registered
572 Posts
I used to own a TW65H80 and used it with an iScan external doubler. Big improvement vs. the internal doubler. A ground up ISF calibration including mechanical & electrical focus, geometry/ convergence and greyscale tracking made a significant improvement. Use the set for about 30 days before having this work done to allow things to settle in.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I, too, have the earlier version of the TW65H80, which I couple with a DVDO external line doubler. I have to say, it produces a remarkable picture using a Sony DVD (standard 1st generation machine) and DirecTv (again, standard 4 yr. old system). I am looking to upgrade to HD and have already purchased a Toshiba progressive scan DVD player (great pairing, I may add)....so much for the feedback....now the questions....

Curtis,

I live in the S.F. Bay Area as well, and would be interested in possibly having a ground up ISF calibration. Do you know where or who I should contact, and what the price(s) would be? I hear it makes a tremendous difference.

Thanks,

Nick

·
Registered
572 Posts
Do you know where or who I should contact, and what the price(s) would be? I hear it makes a tremendous difference.

I flew a pal up from San Diego to do mine. 10 + hours of work. The best local is rumored to be Robert Bush from Sonoma. Do a search and you should be able to find him. I have forgotten his rates yet recall $500+ for everything. My pal refuses to take any $$ from me and no he's not interested in doing more Bay Area work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.