AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seem anything on this yet? I would like to go get a new set REAL soon, but I do not want to run int oa problem when DVI or 5C is the rule.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions, stuff?

Thanks

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
395 Posts
We are both in the same town and I could not find a 65H81 local. However, I ordered from Spectravox.com and received my 65H81 this past weekend. AWESOME set! However, TWC quality is hit and miss and looks crappy at times. On the other hand DVD's look like you could jump into the picture! I'm on the waiting list for TWC's high def box. I'll let you know what it looks like when I see it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

Have you gotten any ifno from Toshiba on what they will do about DVI or 5c?

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
183 Posts
I talked with a marketing person at Toshiba Canada last week about DVI/5C and/or "firewire" support. He was taking the "head in the sand" approach - by that I mean that he said that there was NO WAY digital connectors would become mandatory and that analog component video outputs on STBs would never be shut off, so the current line of TVs are "future proof."

I hope you get a better answer from Toshiba USA!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate that reply. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Of course that will become a must the new Digital Cables Boxes TWC will be using ONLY has them NO other output besides SVideo. (IEEE firware output only) And I know that huges as a box in testing that is DVI only, I mean ONLY.

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
395 Posts
Are you sure the new TWC high def cable boxes only have firewire output? No component out? If that's true I can't use the box on my new 65H81. Well . . ... except for S-video. That seems backwards to me!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cf101:
The TWC boxes in NY Have only IEEE. For orlando they have only a VGA style cable. Bu they have a converter box for compenent

According to TWC central Florida you are mistaken. View the following page http://www.twcentralflorida.com/FAQ/HDTVFAQ.asp

As you can see there are component outputs. That sure makes me feel a lot better! Thanks.

[This message has been edited by bone_stock (edited 09-11-2001).]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know MANY people with them They all have a VGA cable that comes out, som people have that go thier TV some have that go to another TWC box that converts that. So unless they changed to a new box in the last few months

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by highwire:
I talked with a marketing person at Toshiba Canada last week about DVI/5C and/or "firewire" support. He was taking the "head in the sand" approach - by that I mean that he said that there was NO WAY digital connectors would become mandatory and that analog component video outputs on STBs would never be shut off, so the current line of TVs are "future proof."

I hope you get a better answer from Toshiba USA!
He is wrong (well, insofar as the US is concerned--there is no "official" DBS in Canada, is there?). Both DISH and DIRECTV have announced plans to include copy-protected connectors on their future STBs and all their current HD STBs are rigged to down-res copy-protected content when they decide to invoke that feature. They will probably continue to include HD analog component video connectors on their copy-protected equipment, but with down-res'ing of copy-protect material.

However, by the DTCP Adopter's Agreement, only HD premium movie-channel (HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, TMC, Starz) stuff and PPV is subject to copy-protection/down-res'ing, so there's plenty of HD content that the box can output in full resolution through their HD analog component video or DB15 analog "VGA" outputs (ala RCA's DTC100), particularly now that both ABC and CBS are broadcasting all of their prime-time programming in HD.

What little HD cable support is present in the US is using non copy-protected boxes. The question is whether these boxes are similarly rigged for down-res'ing. If not, it would represent a fair-sized hole in the MPAA's copy-protection scheme. Or are they simply planning to stop supplying those cable providers with premium content in HD to broadcast to that equipment?

-- Mike Scott

[This message has been edited by michaeltscott (edited 09-11-2001).]

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltscott:
He is wrong (well, insofar as the US is concerned--there is no "official" DBS in Canada, is there?).
Yes. ExpressVu, which broadcasts from Nimiq, and Star Choice, which broadcasts from Anik F1 and Anik E2.

ExpressVu uses identical hardware to Dish Network, and Star Choice uses dumbed-down BUD DC II equipment.

Dish and DirecTv are "unofficially" available in Canada via the gray/grey market, but with a recent court ruling, it is not illegal to PURCHASE U.S.-based television subscriptions.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by highwire:
Dish and DirecTv are "unofficially" available in Canada via the gray/grey market, but with a recent court ruling, it is not illegal to PURCHASE U.S.-based television subscriptions.
Court rulings where? As I understood it, it is not illegal in Canada to receive DISH or DIRECTV using jury-rigged equipment, so why would you bother purchasing a U.S.-based subscription? And are DISH and DIRECTV actively trying to sell subscriptions there?

Are the Canadian DBS services you mentioned carrying any HD?

-- Mike Scott

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The TWC boxes in NY Have only IEEE. For orlando they have only a VGA style cable. Bu they have a converter box for compenent

------------------

Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.