Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

I'm a newbie looking to make a quantum upgrade to my TV sports viewing experience. At my disposal, all I have is a fairly narrow 'sliver' in a games room, with a 66" diagonal viewing area (that would make most use of a 4:3 format), and about a 10' throw form the most convenient mounting position.

The room has several windows to which I would add blinds, but I'm sure there would still be quite a bit of ambient light.

I would use it most for viewing TV sports (hopefully broadcast in HD, but as I live in Vancouver, B.C., I'm sure there would be a lot of low-def NTSC as well). DVD viewing would be secondary. (Any thoughts on the best source to use for a wide array of HD sports would also be greatly appreciated.)

I would be seated right underneath the projector, and am quite sensitive to noisy machines, so the closer to inaudible, the better.

I have no biases between LCD or DLP, as I have 0 experience with either (CRT sounds appealing paicture-qualitywise, but I'm not sure I have the space).

Any suggestions for getting this going on a budget would be greatly appreciated - I am quite open to second-hand/eBay shoppping as well.

Thank you.

·
Registered
249 Posts
As to your budget it would be helpful if you could if a actual number, but if you intend to watch a great deal of low-res NTSC progaming first, and DVD second I would suggest the X1 (if your budget is really tight for 800$) or the Infocus 4805 (Much better for it's 4x color wheel for 1500$) as they both have the all important Faroudja chip for making low res material much better. Blinds will help, but at least with a 60" screen the light coming from the projector won't be stretched as thin.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.