AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought the mits sr-hd400 for $661. should i return it and look for a better deal or does this sound like a decent price. thank you.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
General Instruments HDD-200 HDTV Decoders>
Time Warner - Houston HD Services>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Good price! I have the unit and with two remotes and all the menu functions it is one of the best STB's you can buy!

------------------

Meredith (KPHO) SUCKs! Phoenix CBS station with no HD just SD.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I got mine for $601, but that was in conjunction with a WS-65907 for $4400. List is $799 and I haven't seen it with a lower price tag in the stores. It seems like you have to negotiate for a better price.

------------------

Tom

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.01

Sony SAT-T60 DirecTc>ic>Vc>oc> w/2.5

Sony SAN-24MD 24" elliptical dish

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. im glad there is not some killer deal out there. i got this price only after haggling.

------------------
ADebars>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
779 Posts
The tosh and the Hughes STBs are the same box, Huhges just OEMs them for Mits and Tosh, and both sell for less, sans the second ir remote. If you are not a brand name freak and can use the a universal remote for your second or don't need the second IR remote you can save at least a $100. Search the site I think ABT had the hughes for 527$ and someone else had the tosh for under $500.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by btmoore:
The tosh and the Hughes STBs are the same box, Huhges just OEMs them for Mits and Tosh, and both sell for less, sans the second ir remote. If you are not a brand name freak and can use the a universal remote for your second or don't need the second IR remote you can save at least a $100. Search the site I think ABT had the hughes for 527$ and someone else had the tosh for under $500.

Regards,

Brian
thanks for the info. the RF remote was important and the fact that the mits will integrate with my mits hdtv is also important.

------------------
ADebars>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:

Regards,

Brian
Do you remember where this cheap Tosh was?

------------------

Tho!

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ADebar:
thanks for the info. the RF remote was important and the fact that the mits will integrate with my mits hdtv is also important.

Both the Tosh and hughes include a dual RF/IR remote they just don't include a second IR only remote. I am sure you could order a second IR/RF remote for far less than $150 if you wanted 2 RF/IR remotes. From what I understand the second mits remote is only IR.

As they are the same STB with just different logos on them there should be no difference in the integration with a mits TV. You are just going to have to load the remote code for a mits tv vs it being preloaded into the remote. IMO, you are just paying more for the brand.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Quote:
As they are the same STB with just different logos on them there should be no difference in the integration with a mits TV.
When changing between SD and HD outputs on the SR-HD400, the remote also concurrently switches Mitsubishi tv's to the appropriate inputs. I doubt you would get this convenient capability with the other brands...

·
Registered
779 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by crbaldwin:
When changing between SD and HD outputs on the SR-HD400, the remote also concurrently switches Mitsubishi tv's to the appropriate inputs. I doubt you would get this convenient capability with the other brands...

I don't know I use a Sony front projector and have little use for the SD mode as the mits/tosh/hughes box upconverts to 1080i with a very good picture even at 110" inches, so I couldn't tell you if it does the same thing or not. Regardless, for the price difference between the Mits and the Tosh, you can buy a Pronto and have it do what ever you wanted it to do. While a nice feature, even if exclusive to the mits remote, for me it would not be worth the price difference.

I am only trying to compare price for what you get. I own a Hughes but if I were buying today I would get the Tosh. There is no reason why there should be any price difference between the three boxes sans a slight premium for a second remote that comes with the mits. There is no way that is worth $250, hell if you go to GG I have seen the mits box for $999 and that is just insane. It looks like they are using branding to hook consumers to paying a premium. Nothing wrong with that, you got to love capitalism, but caveat emptor, I would rather pocket the extra cash or buy more stuff.

Regards,

Brian

[This message has been edited by btmoore (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Registered
866 Posts
Are all the outputs on the three boxes EXACTLY the same? Doesnt the Mits have a special out just to connect to mits TV's ( but may be worthless ..... )

Bernie

Adebar:

Did you buy that online for $661 ?????

[This message has been edited by Bernie R (edited 09-13-2001).]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Bernie,

The Mits SR-HD400/500 does not have a special output for the Mits TVs. It has:

Phone Jack

RF Remote Jack

Y/Pb/Pr Component Jacks

L/R Audio + Video RCA Jacks (2 sets) composite SD only

S-Video Jack composite SD only

Digital Audio opitcal output

F-connector TV out

F-connector Cable/Ant in

F-connector Satellite in

VCR control

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i got it at home theater store for that price. i have been quite pleased with it. the remote for my TV and the remote for the reciever both control their counterparts perfectly. that was the integration i was looking for. this is a great reciever.

------------------
ADebars>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.