AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older kenwood receiver that only has the 6ch inputs, no coax or optical. The only way to get the 5.1 sound is to hook up a DVD player that has the 6ch outputs but im not sure how to search for these.

WHat is this 6ch putput called? do i just search 5.1 DVD player?

The receiver is a kenwood so ide like to stick with that brand if i could.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The ones gshelley listed are just about the only options, they don't make many players like that since only a tiny number of older receivers like yours need the multi-channel analog out feature.

There are other options though, that might make more sense long term, especially if you have or are getting an HDTV. One would be a Blu-ray player with those outputs, though you have to get one of the more expensive ones (e.g. LG 390). The best thing to do though is to just get a new receiver, so you can get digital surround from a DVR, cable/sat box, OTA HDTV etc.

Plus, sticking to a brand is never really necessary, at most it gives slightly better remote compatibility, which is moot if you get a true universal remote. Besides Kenwood has gotten out of the in-home audio/video market for some time, now they concentrate on car stuff.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the HK and its a bit more then i wanted to spend. I think there is a coby that has 5.1 for $50.

I just wanted to give it to my sister and have the 5.1 surround.

She probobly would be fine with just the standard stereo surround but since the receiver has the 5.1 capability i thought ide check around at the DVD player options.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
Anymore it is universal DVD players have them for the DVD-A/SACD audio playback capability (the Coby appears to be the exception with just regular DVD playback.) The ones mentioned above are about the only new ones left (DVD-A and SACD are a small niche. I imagine HDMI's rise is also a factor.)

There were some regular DVD players back in the day that had them to work with receivers exactly like your Kenwood. You might find them on eBay, but they'll be from the bronze age of DVD. I had one, a Panasonic CV50, and I'm sure there were others, but it'll be a quest to find a good working one.

·
Registered
393 Posts
One of the better DVD players that has 6 ch analog and the decoders for Dolby Digital and DTS as well as SACD and DVD-Audio capability is the Denon DVD-1940. Vann'S electronics is selling these for $89.77 including free shipping. I bought two of these along with a Pioneer Elite DV-48AV when VANNS had them for $99.00. All of them are very good players. I liked the Denon because the crossover for SACD and DVD-A was at 80hz whereas the Pioneer was at something like 200hz. I ended up using these for about a month and ended up buying the Oppo 83 Blu-Ray when they finally came out but I still use one of the Denon's as well. Great player at a great deal. Here is a link to Vann's site. These players sold originally for $349. Good luck.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16942031

I have an older kenwood receiver that only has the 6ch inputs, no coax or optical. The only way to get the 5.1 sound is to hook up a DVD player that has the 6ch outputs but im not sure how to search for these.

WHat is this 6ch putput called? do i just search 5.1 DVD player?

The receiver is a kenwood so ide like to stick with that brand if i could.

I have never heard of a surround sound receiver with multichannel analog inputs but no digital inputs. Now I am curious - what is the model number of that receiver?

Any DVD player with multichannel analog outputs will cost as much or more than a new digital receiver with those inputs plus digital inputs. Go to Harman Kardon's store on eBay and check the H/K refurb receivers (Specials), which are great bargains and fully warranted for 2 years. You are really far better off with digital inputs and processing in the receiver than in the DVD player. Here is a link:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Harman-A...34Q2ec0Q2em322

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My brother has one too i got off craigs list and i gave it to him when i got my kenwood.

Mine is the Kenwood AVR5010, his is the Aiwa AVD30, both have the sub out but im not sure they are going to be LFE or not thats why i wanted to try the 6ch DVD players. I may pickup a couple of those coby and give one to my brother also.

Neither of these 2 receivers has the digital input.

I think the deal is they used the power or somthing but didnt have the 5.1 decoding. Maybe these were the models that were in the crossover stages from the 2ch prologic to 5.1

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wonder since the DVD player does the decoding, does it also have the surround modes and stuff on it?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
My Panasonic player didn't.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/16956568

My Panasonic player didn't.

Wich is that?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
CV50 five disc changer, a circa 2001 model.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowerR64 /forum/post/16956196

My brother has one too i got off craigs list and i gave it to him when i got my kenwood.

Mine is the Kenwood AVR5010, his is the Aiwa AVD30, both have the sub out but im not sure they are going to be LFE or not thats why i wanted to try the 6ch DVD players. I may pickup a couple of those coby and give one to my brother also.

Neither of these 2 receivers has the digital input.

I think the deal is they used the power or somthing but didnt have the 5.1 decoding. Maybe these were the models that were in the crossover stages from the 2ch prologic to 5.1

Was this a HTIB (Home Theater In a Box)? If so that might explain it, since those units usually did not include full-feature receivers. In fact many HTIBs are powered by a single amp in the subwoofer, and most cannot be utilized properly in an upgraded home theater in the same manner as a full-blown receiver.

As for a DVD player that will work with your receiver, what you want is called "multichannel analog output," which will be included with built-in 5.1 Dolby Digital decoders in the player. Be sure the player also has speaker management so you can adjust speaker levels for all channels and the subwoofer crossover. There was a time when this was not uncommon in higher price DVD players but you seldom see it anymore except in the more expensive Blu-Ray players. As I said before, you are really better off buying a full-feature receiver with digital inputs, such as the refurbished Harman Kardon models that are fully warranted and sold at a deep discount at the H/K eBay store.

If you still want to get such a DVD player your best bet may be to search for a used one at Audiogon or Videogon; you will probably have to ask the seller if it has this feature.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
Okay, I found one, and it is on clearance at a great price:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...non-dvd-2930ci

Now $199 is probably more than you wanted to pay but notice the original price was $849. That is why I said it was cheaper to buy one of those H/K refurb receivers.

Edited to correct information about the H/K DVD-47, which I don't think has built-in Dolby Digital 5.1 decoding, which the OP needs. However, at Crutchfield's they list DVD/BD players with decoders included and 5.1 analog outputs. But they are all Blu-Ray players except for the Yamaha DVD-S1800 and the previously mentioned Denon above.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts