AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read a few threads here, and some articles online--I can't find a consistent answer to this question:

Jamo 6 ohm 100-120w speakers with a Yamaha 6160; what do I set my receiver to? 6 ohm (to match the speakers) or 8 ohm to "ensure proper ventilation" of the receiver?

Appreciate any insight you guys might have.

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

• Leave the AVR at 8-ohms.
  • Ensure the AVR has proper ventilation (not a big deal on this box).

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I agree. Leave receiver set to 8 ohms. 6 ohm setting likely reduces supply voltage. The setting will limit current flow, but hopefully you don't need to use the setting, because it will also limit power, as some bench tests have clearly shown.

If you need a more power, you would need to consider external amplification.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is this generally true for all avr's?

I also have 6ohm speakers. Currently connected to a RX-v640 it has a slider 8ohm min to 4ohm min - I have clicked it over to the 4ohm setting.

What is the slider actually doing inside the avr?

Any in depth description / problems?

Cheers,

Matt

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrix /forum/post/18218231

Is this generally true for all avr's?

Yes.
Quote:
What is the slider actually doing inside the avr?

In the Yamaha for sure, and probably in others, the switch lowers the voltage on the power rails to limit heat generated internally by reducing the output power. Their goal is to keep the temperature signature within the spec approved by CSA/UL for their own liability purposes.
Quote:
Any in depth description / problems?

This has been discussed at length in these pages. So long as your AVR is not overheating, there is no real problem. Make sure it is properly ventilated (nothing special ... just not blocked) and stick your hand on it from time to time when driving it hard to confirm it is OK. The Yamaha units run very cool to start with. Other brands are not so good.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks for that.

I've just switched it back!

My Yamaha is just a temporary solution as i sold my Onkyo 804 - am now having to decide which way to go! The 804 certainly got very hot even with my older 8ohm speakers!

·
Registered
6,908 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattrix /forum/post/18218683

My Yamaha is just a temporary solution

The 6160 is a very capable AVR.

PS. Sorry Mattrix ... I confused you with the OP. Yes, the RX-V640 is a little long in the tooth relative to decoder features but it still presents a solid amplifier section.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info!

It's amazing how you can spend hours sifting through web pages and forum posts only to come here and within minutes get a clear, understandable answer from experts.

Much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts