AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to an auction a couple of weeks back and was able to pick up an NEC 6PG projector for one dollar. Yep! You read correctly...one buck!

After messing with getting it mounted to the ceiling and getting it focused and the convergence half way right, I figured out that something was really wrong. That something? Missing both remotes! Also, the manual I had was for the PG-6200 XTRA model and was not fully applicable to my model. I called NEC and the guy I talked to was more than just helpful. He found the correct manual in PDF format and e-mailed it to me right away! I'm not talking about hours later like some companies...

He also gave me some info on the remote I needed, like the part number (79642022),the price ($89 + S&H) and they have 4 in stock (supposedly).

My biggest problem is that the projector belonged to the University of Nebraska. They have it set up for RGB inputs only and they erased all of the factory pre-set inputs! Without the remote I am totally screwed!

After reading the forums I found excellent info on the Philips Pronto remote files for this unit and have some bids on eBay for one, but they seem to be a little expensive. Is there a source for the original remote at a better price? Are there other remotes like the Pronto that people have written code files for?

Ok, I got the thing for a buck, so I can afford to spend $100 on the remote, but that doesn't mean I really want to...

Also, if anyone needs the PG-6000 manual, just e-mail me and I will send it to you. The PG-6200 is NOT the same as I found out. I may even put up a web site dedicated to the 6PG unit!

TekWar

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Hi

I pm'd you already..

I'd buy the set-up remote. Really. It will make your life sooooooo much easier. Spend the $100, enjoy a great picture, and sleep well at night. The Pronto works, but it is somewhat awkward nonetheless. In particular the functions that require you to hold down more than one button at the same time. ( control and "other button")

Congrats :)

Marc

·
Registered
6,126 Posts
Curt Palme has the setup remotes for that unit (brand new) I bought one but it will set you back 100 times what you paid for the projector. Check your tubes first. Than do your self a favor and buy the service remote. $101.00 is a really great price for a working unit.

Chip S.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi Tekwar. I sent you a pm as well. I have a 6pg I am trying to set up soon and would like a full copy of the manual. Thanks, Guy

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Regrettably this is the same incomplete PDF file already floating around. I cannot understand why so many pages are missing. Alas... I will get the manual scanned as time permits. Unless someone elso beats me to it, expect to see a much larger file at some point. But, thank you for posting it.

Marc

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Marc,

I don't understand why it is so incomplete. It came directly from the NEC archives (I had to call them to get it. NEC's web site is all messed up!). The only difference is that the zipped files they gave me also had the manual broken down in to individual sections as well as one single PDF. While this is rather strange, I believed it to be complete.

Would you please be kind enough to scan your manual? I am new to this projector and could use all available information. Is there a service manual? If so, it would be nice to have it as well.

Thanks!

Tek

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
The full manual details all the internal settings and adjustments to the projector in order to properly set it up. Look at the PG6100/6200 manual, and you'll see the extra info. The 6000 is a bit different internally, and I am surprised there is no section in their PDF manual on the internals.

I am scanning the thing, but I have very little time, and can only do a bit at a time.

Marc

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Just a note to anyone planning to scan a service manual. You are a much better person than me if you tackle that task. The PG 6200/9200 service manual I have has about 200 11 X17 pages and about 400 single sided 8.5 X 11 pages. That would take about 14 years to scan. Even getting someone to do the copying for me, takes about 2 days and cost a pretty penny.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Sorry guys but I have to say this, gn2 is right.

It would be better to not put this burden on someone else that trying to help, its a huge job and it would be better to ask a more reasonable favor as to a specific procedure. Even though you saved a ton of money on the projector somewhere down the line you need to pick up the ball and do the legwork. We all try to help each other here but we also know most of the people that do have little time to do this kind of request.

TekWar I think you are looking for the install manual that shows how to set it up correct? These are the Gray binders that come with the projector when new. The service manual is another story, it covers more then one model and why it costs so much and also why NEC doesnt sell these to non dealers, or not suppose to. I agree when they come out of warranty or not supported anymore they should lift that, they are hard to get.

Can you ask a more specific question that is reasonable for us to answer or provide. You might post a want add in the classified section if you feel you need the whole thing, they are nice to have, I agree. Ill also help if I can. Doug

·
Registered
111 Posts
I am looking for the install manual as well. I have only the incomplete version that tekwar linked to. I would gladly pay a fee for a copy if anyone is willing. Meanwhile, I have a copy of the pg6200/9200 manual. How close are the setup instructions for this compared to the 6pg? Specifically, the mechanical aiming. Thanks for the help. Guy

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
GuyC,

They are very close between the two. Because TekWar asked Ill see if I can find one and send it to him, he can make the copies or scan these to the rest that need it. Agreed? Ill need a address to send it to. Please e-mail me at [email protected] . Thanks, I hope this helps get a full document. Doug

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I also have a photocopy of the PG and PG Plus operators and installation manuals. You can email me too.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I will certainly scan any requested areas of interest. I have ALL PG6000/9000 manuals, leaflets, and color sales glossies :)

Marc

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would love to scan the manuals and even host them on a solid server for all to download! I have access to Acrobat, so making PDF files is not a problem.

You all have been so wonderful with the good info and answers to my questions.

This is a great forum and I am so glad I found it!

Thanks!

Tek

P.S. Maybe I should send a copy to NEC since they don't seem to have a full copy? LOL

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
TekWar,

I found it and got the e-mail, Ill send it out tomorrow. This installation manual has 118 pages, but its shorter then the service manual. You did good, all I ask is to send it back when your done. This is for the 6-9 PG and also the 220V G series. Doug

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doug,

Look forward to seeing them (the manuals) & UPS says they should be here Friday the 24th.

Hope to be scanning most of the weekend. Not sure how long it will take me, but I will be sure to return them as soon as I can.

You have been most generous in your contribution to the NEC community.

Thanks!

Tek

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
WOW! Glad someone has a bit more time than me!! This will make a needed addition to the manuals database.

Thanks to all that are making this happen.

Marc

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wish I had more time...

I'm sure I will be plenty busy this weekend without scanning, but I plan on making the time to do this for myself and the community.

I just hope everyone else appreciates it as much as you do Marc.

And thanks to Doug for the kind donation of time, shipping charges and the manual. Without him, this wouldn't be happening. :D

Now would someone consider letting me scan the service manual? LOL!

Hope to have the manual done in about a week. Will keep you all informed.

Thanks!

Tek

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Tek, Where are you ? If you really are going to make pro quality pdf's from manuals, I have quite a pile. Email me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.