AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace one of the convergence STK392-040 IC's on my 6PG. Mounting the IC seems pretty

straightforward, but the whole PCB / HS assembly

is mounted with a strip of

what looks like heat conductive material

between it and the projector chassis. There is also some clear slightly viscous

gunk all over this strip which I assume is some kind of silicone compound,

if so would it be OK to use typical white thermal grease? Any hints or tips - I'd like to replace

it to the same level of heat transfer,

or preferably better, due to the heat

related reliability problems with those IC's, so was wondering if I could upgrade the heat

conducting strip for example. TIA. Clive.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Clive,

I've been told (by TINMAN)that you can discard the pink strip and apply thermal paste in its place. The paste actually works better than the strip but the strip was used in production as it is easier/cleaner to apply.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
CNP,

I discard the pink strip and use paste also. The idea is to transfer the heat to the bottom plate and that is the heat-sync.

For better heat transfer and cooling you can also screw on a ribbed heat sync in the drive area if its ceiling mounted. In production this wouldnt be an option. Keep the bottom plate clean and dont use it for a storage shelf or where you keep the remote or manual. Run the heat sync across the width of the bottom plate away from the mount, use self tapper screws in a open area to fix it to the bottom plate, catch the filings. Doug

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Unless you plan on taking down the projector on a regular basis, you can add the extra heat sink by just gooping it up with heat transfer paste and just set it on top above the stk chips. No drilling no holes and no metal chips to fall in the projector. It only takes about 30 seconds to do.

Chip S.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.