AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just set up a new Panasonic TH-42PWD6UY with a DVI card and the Bravo D1 DVD Player.

- When I try to use the 852x480 dvi output resolution setting the Bravo Player the display on the screen only shows the left 2/3 of the picture.

Items for reference

-The display works fine with the other DVI Outputs on 480p 720p and 1080i.

-under initial settings the TV type is set to 16x9

-it is interesting that using the dvi input change the menu structure where some of the picture settings are not available.

-according to the dvi ty-42tm6d manual the card will accept the following input

852 x480 @ 60hz 31.5 horizontal freq 60.00 vertical freq 33.55 dot clock freq

Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
263 Posts
jwells:

I can't answer any of your questions. Indeed I have a few for you. When you say "The display works fine with the other DVI Outputs on 480p, 720p and 1080i" are you referring to output from a HD Set Top Box? If so, what STB are you using? And by "fine" do you mean better than component output? And what are the "picture settings" that "are not available" using the DVI input? Are these picture setting you can't adjust on the 6UY?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Malachy

I don?t know if I can answer your question either but here goes. The Bravo D1 DVD player has a DVI connection. This DVD player has the ability to select the DVI output format to 480p 720p or 1080i . This is the only DVI input I have tried so far. I am currently a Dish Network subscriber and trying to decide on waiting on the new 811 tuner, changing to DirectTV, or getting a STB. In terms of the picture quality compared to component I have not tried due to when the DVI card is installed the component output is disabled. Only the S-Video connection is available. The normal menu options when S-Video is selected are the following

Picture

Brightness

Color

Tint

Sharpness

Color Temp

Advance Settings

When DVI is selected the Color and Tint selections are not displayed. One other note when working with the s-video connection you have the ability to adjust 4:3 material so that it fits the full screen by selecting full, zoom or justify. When using the DVD DVI connection and watching 4:3 material (kids Scooby doo DVD) the ability to change the aspect ratio of the material is not available. It is possible to ?zoom? in on the picture but you are loosing a vertical portion of the video.

With all of this talk it sounds as if I am complaining about the TV. Not at all. I am very happy with the quality of the image being displayed. When playing DVD?s the picture quality is outstanding. When viewing standard TV the picture quality is ?good? but you must understand the limitations of the signal being feed and using the justify mode work well for most scenes when displaying the 4:3 material on the 16x9 screen. I am looking forward to receiving my local stations with an STB as the quality of the encoding of the local stations on Dish Network leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jwells
when the DVI card is installed the component output is disabled. Only the S-Video connection is available.

Sorry, but I got a little confused and a little worried here...You're talking about the component being disabled on the Bravo when the DVI is connected/selected, right?

Scott

·
Registered
305 Posts
I think he means that the component in connection on the 6UY is disabled when the DVI card is plugged into the slot on the 6UY.

Jewlls, can you PM me and tell me where you got your DVI card and how much it cost?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Correction to my last post. I just spoke to someone at Plasma Concepts who told me that the 6UY has 2 separate slots, so it's possible to have the DVI card and still use the component/S-video card that's in the other slot. Therefore, I can't really say what Jewlls meant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The manual for the DVI Card (TY-42TM6D) states the following

The component/RGB-in select option in the SET UP menu is not selectable (displayed in gray) with the Digital RGB Terminal Board installed.

I too am unsure and may have mislead when I said I thought that the component input was not avialable with the DVI card installed.

In the manual for the 6uy when discussing Component/RGB selection it states

Selection may not be possible, depending on which optional board is installed.

I currently do not have any RCA-BNC adapter plugs so it will be a day or two before I could give a real life test.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.