AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like another recent poster, I'm thoroughly confused by resolution questions.

I have a new Panasonic 6UY ED plasma with a DVI card. I have a Samsung 931 DVD player, for which I can either output progressive scan via the component outputs, or I can go direct into the DVI of the plasma. The Samsung allows you to select 480, 720 or 1080 off the DVI output. Which is the better choice? And, if I choose the DVI output, should I leave it at 480 to match the plasma, or select a higher resolution?

Similar question on my new Samsung Directv HD receiver; I can go DVI straight out of that, or component. It also has a switch to output 480, 720 and 1080. Is there a difference?

Vic

·
Registered
263 Posts
Vic:

If you do a slow search on the AVS forum you might find a little information, but probably not much since the 6UY with DVI is so new. I recall a couple of posts saying that the Samsung T160 STB produces excellent HD images on the Panny PA2OU (the consumer version of the 6UY), but there was some unhappiness with the SD (standard definition images) via DVI via the T160. A couple of people suggested that feeding SD via composite (that's right composite) produced a better quality image. I don't recall whether these folks were feeding the monitor 480 or 1080 (PA2OU does not take 720p direct). I would urge you to experiment with you DVD and your STB using DVI, Component and Composite. And please report back to us about what you find. As you may know, there is a huge amount of confusion about compatibility issues between monitors with DVI inputs and devices such as your DVD and STB that output DVI. DVI seems to be a work in progress and we are all very anxious to learn what monitors with DVI work well with what devices. Don't suffer in silence if you find problems. The manufacturers listen when folks on the forum note problems. And send us a happy note if everything looks great via DVI on you devices.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.