AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was hoping someone here could help me. I just installed 4 in ceiling speakers for atmos with a 7.1.4 config. I was going to buy an Emotiva amp for my fronts but the one I want is discontinued and unavailable so I have to wait for their new series. For the time being I hooked up as 7.1.2. Anyway I have my Yamaha a3050 receiver running that room and 7.1 with a 3020 reciever in another. I realized that I could probably run zone 2 from the reciever to run the other 2 atmos speakers. When I hooked it up from the pre outs to an audio in on the second reciever I got sound. When I turned up the volume to 0 db on the second reciever tho I got a loud hum only on the input of the pre outs. These are the only speakers that hum. Doing research I started looking into ground loops. I tried unplugging various device power and the only thing that made it better was the cable line being unplugged from the wall. I thought it was fixed but when I got closer to the speakers there is still a faint hum. Now I am worried this would happen to any amp I buy and I am not really sure where to go from here to completely eliminate the hum. I had unplugged everything but the two amps from the Panamax surge protector I have with no luck on changes. My Ethernet switch was unplugged too but maybe it's still carrying a signal from my router in another room? Even with the only the 3020 plugged into power and not the source reciever still gives a hum on the input the pre out is plugged to. Any ideas?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was hoping someone here could help me. I just installed 4 in ceiling speakers for atmos with a 7.1.4 config. I was going to buy an Emotiva amp for my fronts but the one I want is discontinued and unavailable so I have to wait for their new series. For the time being I hooked up as 7.1.2. Anyway I have my Yamaha a3050 receiver running that room and 7.1 with a 3020 reciever in another. I realized that I could probably run zone 2 from the reciever to run the other 2 atmos speakers. When I hooked it up from the pre outs to an audio in on the second reciever I got sound. When I turned up the volume to 0 db on the second reciever tho I got a loud hum only on the input of the pre outs. These are the only speakers that hum. Doing research I started looking into ground loops. I tried unplugging various device power and the only thing that made it better was the cable line being unplugged from the wall. I thought it was fixed but when I got closer to the speakers there is still a faint hum. Now I am worried this would happen to any amp I buy and I am not really sure where to go from here to completely eliminate the hum. I had unplugged everything but the two amps from the Panamax surge protector I have with no luck on changes. My Ethernet switch was unplugged too but maybe it's still carrying a signal from my router in another room? Even with the only the 3020 plugged into power and not the source reciever still gives a hum on the input the pre out is plugged to. Any ideas?
I've run into a similiar issue, turns out my own receiver is outputting a hum from the pre outputs, Maybe the same issue you're having. I have dedicated 20amp circuit, no cable and with everything unplugged I still get it.

Good luck...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've run into a similiar issue, turns out my own receiver is outputting a hum from the pre outputs, Maybe the same issue you're having. I have dedicated 20amp circuit, no cable and with everything unplugged I still get it.

Good luck...
Well that is certainly not encouraging. Is this a defect in the receiver? I don't know if I can live with it, especially if I buy a 2 Ch amp in the future and it's my fronts that hum.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Did you try other inputs on the 3020 like say the Multi Ch Inputs? From what I understand the Multi Ch doesn't apply any type of processing to the output.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Did you try grounding the two chassis together with a heavy gauge wire?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so this next development might require a full connection explanation. I have an AV closet with two receivers that run multiple rooms. There is a Panamax and monster reference surge protector in the closet, with both receivers on the same one. I have wires ran for 7.1 in the front room, with the tv and sub on two Panamax 2 outlet protectors, had I to the bedroom tv by itself (currently no surge), hdmi, Ethernet, usb ran from the closet to a "computer room" where there is a 2 speaker klipsch system, a pc, router, printer, and monitor all connected to a monster stage 2 power center. There is hdmi and 7.1.4 to the back room I have with a sub and a tv both plugged into separate Panamax two outlet surge. Finally a server in the basement has an Ethernet run and is connected to an APC battery backup.

I have tried unplugging the other rooms from the walls including the sub. Now I mentioned that unhooking the cable improves but does not eliminate my hum. Well I unplugged my monster surge protector from the wall in the computer room and whether the cable line is in or not, I get the loudest hum of all the situations. What the heck does that mean, and I wonder how this other room could be affecting my back room? I am so lost

1 - 8 of 8 Posts