AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
A quality 7.1 in that price range may be a little tough. If you are going to have a nice receiver like the 2807, don't skimp on speakers. What size do you want, satellites, box speakers, what? You may have to start with a prepackaged 5.1 and buy another pair that match in the future. Def Tech Pro Cinema Systems are nice; Polk makes some nice prepackaged systems as well. Hometheaterdirect.com will meet your price and they have a decent sound plus a 30 day money back guarantee. There are lots of choices. Look in this forum and hometheaterforum.com. They have a list of sponsors to some decent stuff.

If you increase your budget up to $1000 you will get some better choices. Here is one by SVS http://svsound.com/products-sys-sbs_black.cfm

I started with a 4.1, (phantom center), moved to a 5.1 and am now getting ready for 7.1. Think about that incase you don't have the budget right now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 2807 pushed my budget a bit, but I may be able to go for around 10-12 hundred, if it's truly worth it.

Slightly OT, but can you think of any other way to get HDMI in capable 7.1? The system will mainly be used for gaming, with movies and TV being the minority in importance. I do, however, want "next gen" sound to be passed through. So many decisions.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts

Quote:
Slightly OT, but can you think of any other way to get HDMI in capable 7.1?

Not really, I am still using a non-HDMI receiver. Yamaha has a couple of HTR series with HDMI the 5990 and 6090 in the same price range. I am waiting until all of them have HDMI 1.3 like your PS3. Most are still 1.2 or 1.1. Right now I run HDMI out of my HD DVR into my TV, but my sound is still optical out.

The better speakers are worth it. Since you are just getting into this hobby, I will warn you, you will get upgrade fever. It's better to buy just little better product to hold you over longer.
I would look at a good 5.1 system and plan on adding your 2 back surround later. It's all just my opinion though.

My first system was pieced together and it wasn't bad. I had Def Tech SM350s up front, PM 80s in back and a Sony SAWM-40 sub. That sub was the best bang for the buck at the time. It's just sitting around waiting for a garage sale now since I upgraded.

If you want to stay within budget for now, look at this company. http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html

You will find there are always trade offs. Check out audioreview.com for some reviews.

Look at this company too. http://www.aperionaudio.com/products...erion+Speakers

Free shipping both days with a 30 day in home trail and click on their Aperion Advantage button/tab. You can trade up within a year for full value of what you paid.

The other thing I need to emphasize is what do you have room for? Don't cram in a 7.1 just to have one.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I wouldn't recommend buying speakers to match your receiver. It should be the other way around. The speakers are going to make or break your experience. A good receiver can never make up for a "bad" sounding speaker. The 2807 is ~$900-1000 and your speaker budget is ~$550. I say you switch the two figures and spend 1k to 1.2k for the speakers. Maybe you could wait until HDMI 1.3 receivers become a little more mainstream and find a receiver that could hold you over for now. just a thought.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG /forum/post/0

The other thing I need to emphasize is what do you have room for? Don't cram in a 7.1 just to have one.

I agree with Lowell. If you don't have enough room behind the listening position, stay with a 5.1 setup. You will need at least 4-5' space behind the listening position for a decent 7.1 setup. Take a look at the following image from Dolby, which specifies speaker placement in a 7.1 setup

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help, guys.

I guess I'll go for broke and just go nuts. I do understand greatly that the speakers are the system, I just wasn't aware of the average cost ratio of each "part" in the HT Audio beast.

I'm not exactly rushing into this, especially with CES just having passed. This is an anywhere from 2 to 7 month thing, all depending. I'd love for 1.3 receivers to be around, and the only reason I narrowed down the 2807 is because it does most of what I need.

Also, thanks about the 7.1 comment. I guess all things considered it would make sense to stick to 5.1 right now, and add the 2 whenever it makes sense.

I was looking into the SBS-01 for me. That's just about as far as my budget'll go. Looks don't bother me much, and I've read some great things thus far. Any comments?

Thanks again for all the help, guys.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeXs /forum/post/0

I was looking into the SBS-01 for me. That's just about as far as my budget'll go. Looks don't bother me much, and I've read some great things thus far. Any comments?

Another one to check out in that price range will be x-series speakers from **********.

http://www.**********/products_catego...akers&brand=55

If you do a search on this forum, you will find plenty of opinions on them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.