AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to beg a stupid quesiton... I went to BB last weekend to specifically pick up a "U2" Concert DVD... to my surprise, nothing in 7.1?

I bought the "U2-Go Home" Concert at Slane Castle in Dublin.... great DVD, but its 5.1.

So, are there any true 7.1 DVD's out there yet?

I think my Denon 4806 AVR and Denon 1920 DVD player will convert 5.1 to a pseudo-7.1, but that's about it.

Do you have any 7.1 DVD's?

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Sam is correct - but to add to his reply, Dolby Digital EX and DTS-ES Matrix have a back channel (ie 6th) matrix encoded in the surround channels. Dolby Digital PL-IIx and Logic 7 are processing modes that can extract 7 channels from 2, 5 and 6 channel sources.

Ed

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Yeah, no 7.1 dvds yet their are a few 6.1 DTS discrite. And DD 6.1 matrixed DVDS (star wars)

But most 7.1 systems matrix the rear center chanel into 2 channels. Buy seprating the rear center you get more of a spacesus feel. The 6.1 systems with just 1 speaker can sound off.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahhhh.... I see.

Speaking of the rear, I just pre-wired my basement for 7.1.... would you recommend wiring for a rear center speaker "just in case"?

Who knows? 8.1 next by adding the rear center? LOL

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
Their are some high end amps that have 9.1 now.

But I'd say just run pull strings so if you do upgrade you can just run/replace speaker wire when needed.

Watch star wars ep1 very good 6.1 matrix mix during the pod race

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
How difficult do we want to make it for people, 5 speakers and a sub is already asking alot, and gives a plenty immersive experience...

Listen to some Multichannel music DVD-Audio and SACD... this technology is barely surviving...and is fantastic already at 5.1

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Never say never in the crazy, whacky world of home theater upgrading, I sez....

·
Registered
984 Posts
From my own experience, I would opt for 7.1 unless your room simply cannot support that; e.g., your listening position is flush against the back wall and you simpy don't have room to mount a pair of rear speakers behind you.

When I expanded from 5.1 to 7.1, there was a significant increase in sourround envelopment, so much so that I would never go back to just 5.1.

A 6.1 speaker system is not a good idea. A single rear, center speaker is subject to front/back reversal and does not provide the rear spaciousness of a pair of rear speakers spread across the back of the listening area.

As noted above, you can use DPLIIx and/or Logic7 to generate "discrete" 7.1 outputs from any source. I can personally speak to the quality of Logic 7, but DPLIIX is also reported to be good. So even if there are no 7.1 sources today, you can take advantage of 7.1 listening.

I think the high definition DVD formats allow for 7.1 sources. Whether any high def DVDs will be released with 7.1 sources is to be determined, but it is a possibility.

Bruce

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.